Gpsp 0.9-2xb

Nice, now I have a "wrong bios" :(
Games are working (Metroid) but of course I don't know if they would run better with "correct" bios. WHY things like "wrong" bios-files exist? Why there are not just the right ones and why VBA has no problems with "wrong" bios? :lol:
What exactly is wrong in a wrong gba bios and why GPSP has a problem with it?

Uh, while playing Metroid Fusion some minuts, it seems, that the new alpha-improvements work. Smoother playing in alpha-heavy areas I think. I use Auto-FS (2) and it's working good. But sometimes the game seems a LITTLE bit choppy here and there when the Auto FS changes the Frameskip value, with manual FS, there still is a little bit more "smoothness" ingame.

fusion_power said:
Nice, now I have a "wrong bios" :(
Games are working (Metroid) but of course I don't know if they would run better with "correct" bios. WHY things like "wrong" bios-files exist? Why there are not just the right ones and why VBA has no problems with "wrong" bios? :lol:
What exactly is wrong in a wrong gba bios and why GPSP has a problem with it?

Uh, while playing Metroid Fusion some minuts, it seems, that the new alpha-improvements work. Smoother playing in alpha-heavy areas I think. I use Auto-FS (2) and it's working good. But sometimes the game seems a LITTLE bit choppy here and there when the Auto FS changes the Frameskip value, with manual FS, there still is a little bit more "smoothness" ingame.
That BIOS is some leaked beta. Most games work fine with it. Some don't work at all. People sometimes insist to me that it's the correct BIOS because game X works fine. But enough people complain about game Y not working (when it's not my fault) that I put the warning up.

Last edited by a moderator:
sram is now working for me in pokemon emerald. plus savestates are working, but it seems like if i use the "quickload" in the main menu it doesn't work most of the time, but "load state from file" works 100% of the time.

anyway, the speed is fantastic. what you've done here is amazing.

Of course I have no Idea where to find the correct one. (They "look" identical, right? ) My only BIOS file was from VBA and named GBA.BIOS. (16.384 byte) I renamed it to gba_bios.bin and it run fine in GP2P :lol: But I think when GPSP says it's wrong so it is wrong... ^^"

Well as long Metroid runs, it's fine. Menu also working good but there is still one save/load-bug: I always have to load a slot 2x before I have the savegame loaded. -Funny. :)

So far looking like a fantastic release to me! I'm still amazed at how well it's running on my 250Mhz machine.

Really who would have thought that you'd be able to play GBA on any other handheld than a Nintendo machine? So thanks to Exophase on PSP and GP2X! :)

Technically extremely impressive! Huzah!

fusion_power said:
Of course I have no Idea where to find the correct one. (They "look" identical, right? ) My only BIOS file was from VBA and named GBA.BIOS. (16.384 byte) I renamed it to gba_bios.bin and it run fine in GP2P :lol: But I think when GPSP says it's wrong so it is wrong... ^^"

Well as long Metroid runs, it's fine. Menu also working good but there is still one save/load-bug: I always have to load a slot 2x before I have the savegame loaded. -Funny. :)
I think that the "correct bios" has this checksum--> a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6
You can use md5sums to check it.

Althought you can PM me and forget all about correct bios :D

all the bios files ive found have the checksum
e60e599135009129b288988a1cba91df

: (

even the bios with gpsp(torrent) is this one so i assume it works (although i cant test) i know a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6 is mentioned in the readme though :/

Now I have the correct Bios. GPSP don't show me the "wrong bios" message and everything works. :)
Only the GBA-screen appears in the top left corner now, but after return to menu, everything is fine. Another people with this little bug?

Yep, only occasionally though. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for it yet.

BTW - finding the 'real' bios doesn't seem to make much difference for games I've tried.

Wow... crash reports put me off 2xa, but this is unbelievable. Motoracer (which on Zod's last build ran about half speed at 60MHz) now runs at 60 (60) and looks fantastic. And as long as you're on auto-frameskip of ~3, Super Monkey Ball looks lovely. Oh, and Wing Commander Prophey intro now runs at 60 (60) as well, pretty much, which considering it used to be 12fps full stop is very very impressive indeed!

Many many thanks :)

All I have to say is... wow. :blink:

So far, I've tried it with Mega Man Zero 4, Final Fantasy VI, bit Generations: Dotstream, and F-Zero: Climax.

Mega Man Zero 4's framerate jumps all pver the place from 30fps to 60fps, bit Generations: Dotstream runs pretty well, at around 40fps, F-Zero: Climax runs amazingly better than in v9008, and is playable, and Final Fantasy VI runs good too (all I saw was the intro, though).

All in all, very nice work!

Unbelievable release! Here's some info on some games I tried. These are all the North American releases, I'm OCed to 250mhz, 3:2 unscaled, auto frameskip...

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance and Castlevania Aria of Sorrow: Brilliant speed/sound, totally playable.
Wario Ware: Brilliant speed, Good sound (a little muzzy as if my ears were full of cotton), totally playable.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Crashes just after the first bit of intro.

More later

Thanks so much, Exophase! Brilliant stuff.

Pariah B)

Oh yes, for crashes, Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup still takes the emu down (although not the whole GP2x with it now). Can't remember the error message, but will post it here as and when. There is an error message though (white screen with some black debug text on), as opposed to a simple lock up...

Oh, incidentally... has anyone tried any of the emus for GBA on this - PocketNes and PocketSnes spring to mind :D. Running emulators on emulators is often a very tricky job but it would be very interesting to see how they do!

Rivroner said:
shinra said:
Thanks for the emu Exophase!!!, anyway, someone had lock ups?, i can't get rid of them.
I had no lock ups.
I ahve been playing like an hour to Zelda, Winning Eleven and Metroid and no problems.3 Hours of play without lock ups.

I have OC to the limit of my GP2x and Ram Tweaks ON.

Maybe you must disable ram tweaks or something.Not all the GP2X can support that ram tweaks.

Or maybe you batteries, i was using some months ago a batteries that was hanging randomsly.

I was using an AC adapter (no ram tweaks) and still get the lock ups :( i'll keep trying

Edit: I'm using zipped roms and they are not corrupted.

Not sure, but I imagine picodrive's software scaling only works horizontally. Leastways, the way it's designed would only work horizontally... it's also scaling a very specific ammount to create an illusion of wider pixels (as opposed to a larger space). That's not necessarily a problem, but you'd need to work out what factor scaling was worth doing - and it would still be horizontal only. At least, it would if the algorithm was to remain trivial.

Or maybe I'm wrong - insert not a coder disclaimer here :)

pariah said:
Unbelievable release! Here's some info on some games I tried. These are all the North American releases, I'm OCed to 250mhz, 3:2 unscaled, auto frameskip...

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance and Castlevania Aria of Sorrow: Brilliant speed/sound, totally playable.
Wario Ware: Brilliant speed, Good sound (a little muzzy as if my ears were full of cotton), totally playable.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Crashes just after the first bit of intro.
More later

Thanks so much, Exophase! Brilliant stuff.

Pariah B)

Also just tried Lunar Legends with the same setup and it was very playable, both graphics and audio were beautiful. I'll try more when I get home.

p

it works very well indeed, but hasn't anybody noticed reboots in SMW3 (Yoshi's Island) ?

The game happen to restart when I'm changing screen (slipping in a pipe for example)

Good work Exophase ;)

reiboul said:
it works very well indeed, but hasn't anybody noticed reboots in SMW3 (Yoshi's Island) ?

The game happen to restart when I'm changing screen (slipping in a pipe for example)

Good work Exophase ;)
I have not played much (maybe 2 stages) but i have not suffered that problem.
Do you have the correct BIOS?

Rivroner said:
I have not played much (maybe 2 stages) but i have not suffered that problem.
Do you have the correct BIOS?
I always supposed so, because I err... *found* it in a file, with roms, on an infamous GP2X site :ph34r: How do I check?

Back