Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

I don't need bilinear filtering but maybe a good looking full-screen Mode with CORRECT Aspect ratio (result in Black Bars top and down) would be nice IF it's possible WITHOUT the lost of performance. :)
Somehow the GBA-Screen looks so tiny on GP2X... ^^

Besides, who is brave enough to update the Wiki?

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GpSP A little bit aged the article, I think :lol:

fusion_power posted on Mar 17 2007 at 03:06 PM said:
I don't need bilinear filtering but maybe a good looking full-screen Mode with CORRECT Aspect ratio (result in Black Bars top and down) would be nice IF it's possible WITHOUT the lost of performance. :)
Somehow the GBA-Screen looks so tiny on GP2X... ^^

Besides, who is brave enough to update the Wiki?

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GpSP A little bit aged the article, I think :lol:

Well theres not much point in a aspect-matching scale as opposed to a full scale, as the GBA screen is fairly big.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gp2x chrashes every time when i try to enter the cheats and miscellaneous options, is it just me, or anyone else has the same problem?

Ok. Back to work for me. I got some sleep and did a format and reinstall of my OS's. So priority wise I feel the crashing of some games is #1. Then comes adding performance to the dynarec. Then after that is autoframeskip. Last would be filtering and the cheat menu.

The reason being:
#1 is compatibility/fixes because: If you can't play a game due to crashing, there's no point worrying about other features or performance.
#2 is dynarec performance because: If there's enough performance you won't need autoframeskip. As well as performance differences changes the way a default frameskip should behave.
#3 is autoframeskip because it will be needed in a few games after #2 most likely.
#4 is features such as cheats and filtering, because these are cool but not needed. :)

The GBA has a resolution of 240x160. I could keep the aspect ratio by (doing the math real quick, could be wrong) making it about 320x213. I also have fixed point 2xSai for filtering available.

I will implement the cheat menu soon.

Exophase is back though, so once I get in touch with him I will see how these priorities get done. More news to come. :)

cowai posted on Mar 17 2007 at 08:38 PM said:
Has Zodttd talked about filtering? Maybe use the hq2x (i don't know the name)...?

That would be very CPU intensive. IMHO the emu really needs speed optimisation first so that the sound isn't so stuttery on all games at some point when using reasonable OC. Running full speed without stuttery sound at 240 or less would be really nice.

If you are going to scale you might as well go fullscreen. It is distorting the pixels anyway so going all out is no nig deal. GBA is like 1/8 VGA.

zodttd posted on Mar 18 2007 at 05:35 AM said:
Ok. Back to work for me. I got some sleep and did a format and reinstall of my OS's. So priority wise I feel the crashing of some games is #1. Then comes adding performance to the dynarec. Then after that is autoframeskip. Last would be filtering and the cheat menu.

The reason being:
#1 is compatibility/fixes because: If you can't play a game due to crashing, there's no point worrying about other features or performance.
#2 is dynarec performance because: If there's enough performance you won't need autoframeskip. As well as performance differences changes the way a default frameskip should behave.
#3 is autoframeskip because it will be needed in a few games after #2 most likely.
#4 is features such as cheats and filtering, because these are cool but not needed. :)

The GBA has a resolution of 240x160. I could keep the aspect ratio by (doing the math real quick, could be wrong) making it about 320x213. I also have fixed point 2xSai for filtering available.

I will implement the cheat menu soon.

Exophase is back though, so once I get in touch with him I will see how these priorities get done. More news to come. :)

Nice to see you have your priorities right! I think it is great you have filtering on the list though. HQ2X would look better than 2xSai (less blurring) but I do suspect that even if you converted that to fixed that it would still be too slow. Well good luck :)

Thanks zodttd!!
After having finished my problems with my internet, I saw this this morning.
I think that this will be the best emu on the GP2x. I heard that you're working on a Gp32 emu.... so keep going :D

I found that "Doom (U) (M7) [!]" runs particularily slowly on this emu (could be useful for optimisation?): -

off fps:21, drawn:21
manual fs0 fps:24, drawn:24
manual fs1 fps:25, drawn:13
auto fs3 fps:22, drawn:18
[all with stuttering audio]

Fantastic work so far - congratulations Zod / God!!

Zodttd, its possible that v9006 could be more faster (maybe optimized?) than the last release? Many people said that it run faster...

One thing more,what kind of "filtering" need an emulator to have better looking image? I have a GBA, with the same game, and its looks less pixeled than gpSP.The image has more quality, why is this possible?

thanks

Pete posted on Mar 18 2007 at 02:26 PM said:
Zodttd, its possible that v9006 could be more faster (maybe optimized?) than the last release? Many people said that it run faster...

With 9006 I used to run castlevania aria of sorrow fullspeed with autoframeskip set to 2

Now autoframeskip seems broken, and I have to run my games with manual frameskip 1. Castlevania still runs fullspeed, but has slowdowns on some places where Autoframeskip would have set frameskip to 2, but Zod is working on it ;)

Cowai: No.Im not scaling.

Its possible another filtering like Super 2xSaI or Bilinear (plus) ?

ok guys, seriously now, stop whining about the slowness of this release. Zodttd has increased compability in this release. Once that is worked out, he can optimize for speed. Read his last post about the things on his to-do list. It doesn't help that every third post is "omfg it's slower then 9006"...

Gotta say im quite impressed with this, first version i tried was v9008 and it was better than i was expecting after all the moaning going on. Clearly its still in a beta stage of its life, but as a first look its very promising. Just need a few things stripping like the referance to exiting back to PSP and the 16:9 video option :p Alittle clean up on the menu and alls pretty good.

Good work, cant wait to try newer versions :)

Back