Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

Yes true, but most likely a game that is emulated fine (no graphical glitches) that suffers from freezing every x amount of time or at a certain spot, has this bug. Once I can reproduce it on my end, having two people report the same bug means it's pretty much not a bad rom. And either way it's freezing for a reason so it would need to be fixed.

Problem now is, I cant get Sonic Advance 1 (US) to even crash again. Played it continously.

zodttd posted on Mar 17 2007 at 02:34 PM said:
Problem now is, I cant get Sonic Advance 1 (US) to even crash again. Played it continously.
Are you sure it has nothing to do with previously being overclocked too high? Since clocking down a little it hasn't crashed again for me either.... yet.

I'll let you know if it does, but I don't feel like playing the same level over and over which I really should if I was seriously testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was running it the first time at 260MHz which is what I can normally run this emulator at. THen I tested it at 240 and it crashed. Then 260MHz again and it ran fine. I tested it at 240MHz again and it ran fine too. Only thing it possibly could be were the RAM timings, which are known to screw with things. But I didnt think it would freeze so randomly with the RAM timings so I dont know if that was the culprit. Especially since I've had the RAM timings on all the tests.

Some games such as Wario Ware Twisted have spots (in this case, the intro) where adjusting frameskip makes practically no difference on sound speed. I think it may have to do with the way the cpu, graphics and sound threads are set up.

zodttd posted on Mar 17 2007 at 02:41 PM said:
Only thing it possibly could be were the RAM timings, which are known to screw with things.
I have had Sonic Advance 1 crash with RAM timings turned off also, but this was on v9006.

zodttd posted on Mar 17 2007 at 03:34 AM said:
Yes true, but most likely a game that is emulated fine (no graphical glitches) that suffers from freezing every x amount of time or at a certain spot, has this bug. Once I can reproduce it on my end, having two people report the same bug means it's pretty much not a bad rom. And either way it's freezing for a reason so it would need to be fixed.

Can someone confirm FF V (US) crashes at the same point on their system. As in my post before it always crashes at the same point on my system (just as the dragon reaches the bottom of the castle and the screen starts to fade to black). I know it crashes on the introduction but the introduction seems to use parts of the main game engine.

Harvest moon, freezeup, frameskip 2 I think, manual. 229 mhz.

Freeze up right when I opened the 'earnings' menu on day 4 or so.

Doesn't seem random to me...seems like it froze trying to read some sort of data.... talking out of my ass but maybe you can replicate it.

Tales of Phantasia (U) always crashes/freezes/resets at the same point in the intro (just as the guy hits the enemy). Also Madden 07 always freezes just as you kick off.

Is this new version 9008 supposed to be faster? Because I've found that my games run, on average about 10fps SLOWER than in v9006. I've tried deleting config files, making sure the settings are the same etc, but nothing works, it's still slower.

Why is this version slower than before?

Make sure audio buffer size is 2048. Turn frameskip type to Manual (auto sucks at the moment), and set frameskip to 2. Mess with the frameskip if you still aren't happy, I keep it between 1 and 5.

The default settings in 9008 are Auto with frameskip 4, which is kind of slow.

Yeah I found that out after messing around with it a little more, with auto fs2 it was slower as mentioned above, setting it to manual fs2 cured things. Now I'm back to where I was before, sometimes 1-2 fps faster.

I'm running at 200 btw, as my power adapter is knackered (official one ordered) and I don't run above 200 on batteries.

Are the ram timings that were mentioned earlier in this thread the same ones that are implemented in PicoDrive? Because I have the ram timings in PD on and it runs fine, but the ones mentioned here don't work for me, my 2X hangs when I select a game.

I'm using firmware 2.1.1

Zodttd - could you send DaveC a zipped up copy of your current gpsp folder including a rom or two? Then we we'll know for sure if it's the actual gp2x that is causing the issues?

>> I've just been playing about with CPU_speed and believe that this is the issue. For some reason it hasn't been overclocking my GP2X. I put it down to 170, and it was running exactly the same as 270.. :S Maybe DaveC could try a similar test?

However, for some reason it has started working. I am getting perfect sound! :D :D

I'm not doing anything different, I'm saving to the SD card with Y, and pressing select to exit into GPSP, but it now works! :D (Currently at 239Mhz)

I'm using 9008. Settings: manual with FS2, works best for me for most games. 2048 sound buffer.

(Sorry! I meant to Edit rather than Reply)

ste_167 posted on Mar 17 2007 at 11:48 AM said:
>> I've just been playing about with CPU_speed and believe that this is the issue. For some reason it hasn't been overclocking my GP2X. I put it down to 170, and it was running exactly the same as 270.. :S Maybe DaveC could try a similar test?

However, for some reason it has started working. I am getting perfect sound! :D :D

Same thing here... overclocking doesn't seem to do anything. I tried gmenu2x but can't directly start the games with the default parameters. I've seen comments of people starting with gmenu2x, so it would be very helpfull if someone could post the parameters.

I feel rather stupid here, but make sure you exit CPU_Speed with select, not Start. I'm not sure if I was doing this before, maybe I was, but it would certainly explain why it wasn't overclocking,

Well Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance is working great with sound at 200mhz fs 3. also I was able to load up the in game save :) so no progress lost. Still a number of graphical glitches / absences. The inventory screen does funny colours briefly when you bring it up, and also, on the gba you selected items are shown with a green transparent box.

The scaling is beautiful zodttd, that's amazing work. So glad it works well at stock speeds now, saves on batteries and mild paranoia.

Edit; Tyrian works pretty well, but there's no sound. Never commercially released and maybe it never did have sound... available here; http://members.iinet.net.au/~vannevar/tyrian/downloads.html

Now I don't need dosbox to play! Still wonder about that sound the original has some pretty cool effects and music.

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
ste_167 posted on Mar 17 2007 at 11:48 AM said:

Same thing here... overclocking doesn't seem to do anything. I tried gmenu2x but can't directly start the games with the default parameters. I've seen comments of people starting with gmenu2x, so it would be very helpfull if someone could post the parameters.

If you want to use GMenu2X to overclock and not the built-in CPU_SPEED then just skip passed CPU_SPEED with start. Set your overclcok in GMenu

Wow man I totally went out of town for like 2 days and this is what I come back to. Thank you so much Zodttd.

I thought the v9006 was more faster and optimized than this last release (v9008) at first time... buuuuut, setting Framskip manual 2 , its same speed as the before mentioned (v9006).

Does this happen to all yours?

P.D.: My firmware its 2.1.0 and 250 OC.

Back