Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

zodttd posted on Mar 17 2007 at 10:14 AM said:
Question:
Should I just set the default to manual 1? It seems to work the best in all cases.
Most games seem to work well with manual FS 1, but some I go up to 2. 3 or higher gets choppy. Manual FS 1 would probably be a good default setting for now. This would mean the majority of games would work well for people with no tweaking.

Tip for everyone: If sound is ropey, it normally means the frame skip needs to be increased. Try increments of 1 until the sound is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Zelda (at 240mhz) the highest I have to set FPS is 5. 2 or 3 is usually enough.

And I just noticed that the devices that Wario (in Wario Ware Twisted) has made by Dr. Crygor look like GP32s. I also noticed that the IPS patch I applied to disable the motion sensor entirely nullifies this intro story. :lol:

New version: gpSP2X v9008

From the changelog.txt:
- Updated the way autoframeskip works. Should be better now. Still has a max frameskip value.
- Added a slight performance increase to the dynarec.
- Added sync() to make sure files such as savestates and in-game saves are saved properly to the GP2X.

Download:
http://www.spookysoftsite.com/gpsp_v9008.zip

Updating from previous versions to v9008:
- If upgrading from a version less than v9007 delete the global configuration file "gpsp.cfg".
- Overwrite gpsp.gpe with the new gpsp.gpe.

Want to help development:
- Let me know if the autoframeskip with fs2 works as well or better than manual fs1.
- Let me know if any performance increases seem to have taken effect.

zodttd posted on Mar 17 2007 at 01:44 AM said:
New version: gpSP2X v9008

Great :) Thanks again Zod' for the continued work on this.

I have just had Astroboy, freeze after about 1 minute. Tried again didn't freeze but tried a different game fairly quick.

Tried CastleVania. Stuttery sound, froze after 3-4 minutes.

Jesus maybe my GP2X can't even OC to 240 MHz? :angry: How lame.

The games I try still have severe stuttery sound for me. Tested at 240 MHz, 1:1, default audio buffer, autoFS 2 and tried 3 still stuttery.

EDIT: just froze on me at 230 MHz, must be a bug.

Exophase wrote. He'll be back tommorow with help on optimizing the dynarec. Good stuff for sure!

zodttd posted on Mar 16 2007 at 05:56 PM said:
Exophase wrote. He'll be back tommorow with help on optimizing the dynarec. Good stuff for sure!
Awsome :D

damn teen titans 2 still dosn't work :(

Well for Zelda at least, auto FS 2 is still much worse than manual FS 1.

As you said, it aims for optimal framerate and thus sound suffers.

FS 4 seems to work perfectly, even in the most crowded dungeons.

275px-Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

You've earned it.

Sonic Advance works well for me on Manual FS 2. Auto FS 2 suffered audio wise. It sounded a little scratchy.

Blah: Which Zelda are you using? I'll test the autoframeskip with it. I used two games mainly to test the auto. The first was Mario Kart which runs too slow, and the second was PacMan Collection which runs too fast. Mario Kart was close to manual 1 and PacMan Collection was smoother than manual 1 since it didnt need to skip at all. The more games I test with that give problems, the better it will get.

Time to eat a cookie.

EDIT: Testing Sonic Advance 1 now. :)

DaveC: Not sure if you followed the thread, but others such as Shadow are having the same issue you are having. I got very different reports on those games from others. I think there might be some sort of configuration differences, if not in gpSP, in the firmware or something GP2X specific that isn't being liked. I'll test those games myself now just to see it with my own eyes since if it's smooth on my end at 240, then something weird is going on.

EDIT 2: Sonic Advance 1 runs at 60 FPS in game with autoframeskip 2, though it's not skipping any frames as "FPS: 59 DRAWN: 59" is reported. I'll lower the clockspeed from 260MHz to 240MHz and then lower. Of course sound was fine at 60 FPS.

EDIT 3: Crap at 240 Sonic Advance 1 ran at over 50 FPS with sound only slightly off. The autoframeskip wont start skipping a frame until it drops to 45 FPS or below. I should make it only skip frames around less than 50 FPS. Anyways, Sonic Advance 1 froze on me. First time this happened. Researching this now.

It is Zelda: The Minish Cap. Theres no point in playing the other one since we have it on SNES.

Oh and sleep mode in games freezes, the screen turns white and sound resembling techno rap background music loops. Its a non-issue of course.

So we have a random bug occuring causing freezing. It's probably to do with the buffer size of the translation cache. Which is lovely since I can't test the bug easily unless I can reproduce this bug.

Anyone know a game that seems like it emulates fine, but freezes in a certain spot? It will help considerably!

zodttd posted on Mar 17 2007 at 01:34 PM said:
Anyways, Sonic Advance 1 froze on me. First time this happened. Researching this now.
I have had it freeze on me a few times also. I just assumed my overclock was too high. I am now using 7 MHz lower than my usual stable overclock in other emus. I haven't tested long enough to know if this helps.

PicoDrive is another emu where I cannot use my normal stable overclock, but this is because it utilizes both CPU's.

zodttd posted on Mar 17 2007 at 01:45 PM said:
So we have a random bug occuring causing freezing. It's probably to do with the buffer size of the translation cache. Which is lovely since I can't test the bug easily unless I can reproduce this bug.

Anyone know a game that seems like it emulates fine, but freezes in a certain spot? It will help considerably!
So it looks like it's not overclocking causing it (since you are testing at 240 MHz). I think it was between scene changes where it is more likely to freeze, but it doesn't happen often enough for your testing purposes, Zod.

zodttd posted on Mar 16 2007 at 10:45 PM said:

mario Superstar saga. At least it did for me.

So what Zod needs is a rom that freezes in the same spot every time. Could be tricky to find.

I can easily patch a certain rom to freeze every time, but that would be useless as it has nothing to do with the real problem.

So you need to make sure that it is indeed freezing for the same reason (that its not just a bad rom).

Back