Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

Crash bandicoot 2 runs great, but just suddenly crashes after the second level.. weird.. Same with Metal Slug advance

Edit: Ok just tried Yod4z ram timings, big difference! Thnx!

You're truly my Master ZodTTD !!!

After trying out this emulator on a couple of game for a couple of hour. I'm pretty amazed, I'd never have tough that the gp2x would became THAT good !.

Now I'll probably make FF TA and Minish cap on my 2x instead of my DS :D Screen's bigger.

Thanks for your hard works !
Thanks a million for my Gp2x !
paxl13

Yod4z posted on Mar 15 2007 at 12:16 PM said:
i have put this on memory timmings:
CAS 2
tRC 6
tRAS 4
tWR 1
tMRD 1
tRFC 1
tRP 2
tRCD 2
and no modification on sound
that

Last edited by a moderator:
I realised why some of you might be having issues with v9007...It's a big oops as I forgot to mention:

I did not include the gpsp.cfg in v9007. If upgrading from any previous version, I suggest doing EITHER of the following:
- Remove gpsp.cfg then run gpSP2X. It will create a gpsp.cfg with the proper default settings.
- Or you may just set the default settings globally by doing the following:
1. Run gpSP2X and once in the file menu press Y.
2. Enter the following Graphics and Sound settings:
Frameskip Type: Auto
Frameskip Value: 2
Audio Buffersize: 2048
3. Run a game. If you have a per-game configuration it will use those settings, so be sure to reset per-game settings either by deleting the [rom-filename].cfg file or setting the above default settings for the game after loading it.

The above will probably clear up the "how to set global settings for all games" question too. :)

If you don't use the default settings above, you can very well encounter VERY stuttery gameplay and sound! Especially due to autoframeskip only works well with a max value of 2 or 3.

Dunny: Sorry about not replying. I was hoping you viewed the code after you said it. I currently have two threads running, though I don't set priority of them. The main thread does the main emulation and syncs with the sound thread which takes chunks of data and processes it. There is a usage of Mutex's and Condition Variables to maintain coherency.

Amazing emulator.

A couple of bug reports to help you make the emulator even better. :)

I've been playing the PD rom Chaos (chaos_release_2e.bin), a conversion of the old spectrum game (I used to love that game and I still do).

I've noticed that when you run the game in the emulator compatible mode it freezes after a few rounds but if you play it in the hardware mode it ironically runs OK. The emulator mode seems to run a lot faster so I guess it just removes some of the delay loops.

I've also got a consistent freeze on the game Final Fantasy Advance V [US] (good gba code 2564). It freezes at the start intro where the king flies off on the dragon, reaches the bottom of the castle and the screen starts to fade to black.

ydderf45 posted on Mar 16 2007 at 06:36 PM said:
whats the yod4z ram timings?
there are not mine ;) there are the timmings recommanded from Craig but you can try to go better if your GP2x support it ;)

nice report scanti. I'll probably have an easier time debugging FF:V though.

Yod4z posted on Mar 16 2007 at 07:42 PM said:
ydderf45 posted on Mar 16 2007 at 06:36 PM said:
whats the yod4z ram timings?
there are not mine ;) there are the timmings recommanded from Craig but you can try to go better if your GP2x support it ;)

What is the rule? the lower the better? I think Refresh Period should be the highest possible

And careful about deleting the .cfg file for each game... I just deleted my Castlevania save <_<

Great work, as always! :)

Really impressed with the latest release, and might get some time to test it more now its the weekend :) Tekken works really nice at 270Mhz@fs3+1024 buffer, with custom ram timings, but as you have pointed out, my usual stable OC of 280Mhz is not possible (whats 10Mhz anyway?). THUG2 is now practically perfect at 270Mhz@FS2+2048 buffer, sound stutters a little when the *transparent* effect comes in, but otherwise perfect!

I do not think the cpu overclock util is saving my cpu speed, its only saving mem timings atm...

zodttd posted on Mar 16 2007 at 07:50 PM said:
nice report scanti. I'll probably have an easier time debugging FF:V though.

Speaking of FF, I just remembered that graphics on FF6 are corrupted, tiles are scrolling and looping in the intro, same when you get control of your character. Also, characters gets invisible and black screen when you go into battle but bg-music still playing.

FF6 is one of those games Exophase has been working hard to get working. It's been a real big mess to deal with that code from what I heard.

Shadow: Do you have firmware 2.0.1 by any chance?

zodttd posted on Mar 16 2007 at 09:21 PM said:
FF6 is one of those games Exophase has been working hard to get working. It's been a real big mess to deal with that code from what I heard.

Good to know, thanks.

Final Fantasy 3/6 works great on PocketSNES guys... only area I've been to that had too much frameskipping to look nice has been floating continent (transparencies + really large area... heh)

If you don't like the Final Fantasy 3 SNES Translation, there are fan translation patches for the Japanese version. No need to wait for FF6 :D (course, good chance you all knew that, but heh)

Great work on this emulator zod, I haven't gotten much chance to test stuff yet but I'll let you know my findings as I make them.

zodttd posted on Mar 16 2007 at 08:21 PM said:

Shadow: Do you have firmware 2.0.1 by any chance?
That's an interesting question to see you ask, as I've been wondering if the sound isn't as good for me as others have been reporting. Some things are fine, but the US version of Sonic 2 sounds bad, and I know that's one you test with. I'm on firmware 2.0 by the way - just charging my batteries up for an update. Will report back...

I really think there's something screwy going on between some user's GP2X setup's. There's genuine reports of poor sound in games that run fine for others. The only difference I can tell is that these user's use FW 2.0 or FW 2.1.0.

I currently use FW 3.0 for testing. Is it possible to downgrade to different firmware's such as 2.1.0 from 3.0? I'd hate to ask people to upgrade to 3.0 when it might not help as I'm unsure of the stuttering sound issue. It's a performance issue for sure though.

Back