Gpx2 Has Tv-out?

Stop discussing about HDTV. The GPX2 processor doesn't have enought power to drive HDTV resolutions. End of the discussion.

how discussed about gpx2 hdtv possibilities, davec just said the tvmode is useless for him since the gpx2 dosnt play hdtv movies and other said they dont care, dont need hdtv yet.

An don't forget:
The resolution of the gpx2 is 320x200. The TV Out on the graphics chip usually only mirrors the output, that means: Also AVIs with 720x576 are played with 320x200, unless they code a special routine into the chip, which I doubt.

So HDTV is simply out of discussion here.

Sonic-NKT posted on Aug 12 2005 at 11:13 AM said:
how discussed about gpx2 hdtv possibilities, davec just said the tvmode is useless for him since the gpx2 dosnt play hdtv movies and other said they dont care, dont need hdtv yet.

Because I have binned all of those dodgy RF "TV-Game" switches years ago. Composite RCA went soon after. Every system I have had afterwards (MegaDrive and up) was connected to an RGB monitor with a SCART lead. I can never go back to blurry, bleedy dot crawl ridden RF/composite pictures again. If this thing had RGB or at least s-video (at the lowest) it would be ok but still I would prefer it to be through the use of an external video encoder.

While I don't expect this thing to output in HD the point is after you see an HD display you won't want to go back to lousy RF NTSC/PAL again. And after more TVs go HD the TV-out will be worthless on the GPx2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, you think HDTV tv's aren't able to use non-HDTV sources?

Like 1240x1024 monitor cannot display 640x480? Wait, it can. Silly me.

Besides, there's really nothing good on tv, anyways... :( Crap is crap in high density too.

I dont have the resources for an HDTV or an ArchosAV480.

Should I just cry, or would it be o.k. for me to like the GPX2?
(Maybe I'm just not 133t enough.)

*runs off to hide in the cardboard condo behind Cosco*

DaveC posted on Aug 12 2005 at 01:59 PM said:
And after more TVs go HD the TV-out will be worthless on the GPx2.

I think that time is few years (maybe 5 years?) ahead so there will be another succesor of GPX2 and I don't have to worry of buying TV with HDTV for next few years.

With the Xbox 360 and Sony PS3 comming out HD will really be worth while. All of those high res textures and effects can't be fully appreciated unless in HD. Sell you soul to the devil or whore out your body on a street corner if you must but get an HD set and a 360 you will never go back to olde tyme crappy TVs again ;)

The MMSP2 homepage says:

Display controller:
-LCD controller
-RGB
-YPbPr
-CCIR 601/656
-Composite synch

Is YPbPr the video signal HDTV uses?

DaveC posted on Aug 12 2005 at 03:59 PM said:
While I don't expect this thing to output in HD the point is after you see an HD display you won't want to go back to lousy RF NTSC/PAL again. And after more TVs go HD the TV-out will be worthless on the GPx2.

As most 2D graphic processors have S-Video out (just look at all the new cheap graphic cards for the PC), it should be fine.

TV-Out will NO be worthless. An NES or SNES won't have a higher resolution if you connect it to your HDTV. So why should the gpx2 be worthless if you want to play NES or SNES with it on TV?

I do know how nice HDTV is, I edit movies in HDTV, but I surely won't throw my NES, SNES, Playstation 1 or 2 nor GameCube or Dreamcast away, just because they have PAL / NTSC output.

Last edited:
efegea posted on Aug 12 2005 at 09:11 PM said:
The MMSP2 homepage says:

Display controller:
-LCD controller
-RGB
-YPbPr
-CCIR 601/656
-Composite synch

Is YPbPr the video signal HDTV uses?

Yes, but it just is a way to transmit the signals.

CCIR 601/656 clearly states it has PAL / NTSC output, which is actually pretty nice, as this means this thing has a max TV output resolution of 720x576 with RGB... way better than the LCD.

So, if programmed nicely, it can play movies or homebrew games in FULL SDTV quality!

Last edited:

I dunno, I've viewed HDTVs in stores and They're nice and big and pretty and all that jazz but a $2000 price tag quickly brings reality back into view. M$ is pushing HDTV hard for certain on the 360 but it's not as if everyone will be able to take advantge of that unless they include a nice big rebate cupon in the box. The PS3 on the other hand will have support for HD but it's not asking developers to code their games specifically for it. It will still largely use regular definition and they're even suggesting letting developers put in a lower resolution mode so they can get extra processor perfomance when they need it.

I think they realize HD isnt going to be a mass market product for several years and they know there's no need to push it atleast untill their next system.

But I think the point DaveC was trying tp make is that GPx2 plaiyng video on HDtvs will look poor, Maybe so (in 4 or 5 years) but if you can put out the wad of cash for one of those babies you can put out the cash for a media player that won't suck on HD not that I know of any that wouldn't concidering what's already been said about avalible content. The Video out will probably be meant for regular PAL and NTSC tvs which should make it no worse than watching a VHS or VCD.

EvilDragon posted on Aug 12 2005 at 07:56 PM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 12 2005 at 03:59 PM said:
While I don't expect this thing to output in HD  the point is after you see an HD display you won't want to go back to lousy RF NTSC/PAL again.  And after more TVs go HD the TV-out will be worthless on the GPx2.

TV-Out will NO be worthless. An NES or SNES won't have a higher resolution if you connect it to your HDTV. So why should the gpx2 be worthless if you want to play NES or SNES with it on TV?

It it not the resolution that I am talking about as much. Yes NES etc has only a certain resolution. The big thing that is crap for the TV-out is the RF or Composite signal which is very dot crawl noisy, smeary, and bleedy because they combine all of the color and brightness into into 1 wire. Seeing how cheap the video circuitry will be in there you will get a pretty crap picture. If it was RGB out it wouldn't be too bad, but we know they won't put that in it for cost reasons.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 12 2005 at 08:17 PM said:

I dunno, I've viewed HDTVs in stores and They're nice and big and pretty and all that jazz but a $2000 price tag quickly brings reality back into view. M$ is pushing HDTV hard for certain on the 360 but it's not as if everyone will be able to take advantge of that unless they include a nice big rebate cupon in the box. The PS3 on the other hand will have support for HD but it's not asking developers to code their games specifically for it. It will still largely use regular definition and they're even suggesting letting developers put in a lower resolution mode so they can get extra processor perfomance when they need it.

The Video out will probably be meant for regular PAL and NTSC tvs which should make it no worse than watching a VHS or VCD.

I will be getting a HD TV for the 360 when it comes out. I already have planned that I won't even hook it up and play it until it is on a HD set as I don't want to ruin the games.

VHS and VCD? Maybe I am just picky but I find those formats pretty much un-watchable poor quality.

EvilDragon posted on Aug 12 2005 at 11:04 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Aug 12 2005 at 08:17 PM said:
The Video out will probably be meant for regular PAL and NTSC tvs which should make it no worse than watching a VHS or VCD.
VHS and VCD? Maybe I am just picky but I find those formats pretty much un-watchable poor quality.

It has FULL PAL and NTSC, so it's FULL TV RGB quality, not VHS or VCD crap.

Last edited:
i really dont care about hdtv,, the movies i watch now is VHS, Divx and DVD.. none of that really uses hdtv so why sould i spend about 600€ for a tv feature that i dont use. also i dont have a rpg calble for most of my console and i never had a problem with that, i play the games and not the output on the screen.
if some colors arent that perfect i dont care. And for the next gen console i wont buy a new tv too, why. for some more pixels, they will be playable on normal tv too, if i want high resolution i play pc.

DaveC posted on Aug 12 2005 at 10:58 PM said:
Seeing how cheap the video circuitry will be in there you will get a pretty crap picture. If it was RGB out it wouldn't be too bad, but we know they won't put that in it for cost reasons.

As ED noted, it'd just basically be few wires to a connector, straight via scart-cable to the tv. I should think rf-modulator would be more expensive.

RF-modulators weren't used in the NES/SNES era consoles because they were cheap, but because nobody, atleast in Europe, owned a tv with RGB-scart or S-VHS connection.

EvilDragon posted on Aug 12 2005 at 10:34 PM said:
Errrm... the chip HAS RGB output, as stated above. All they need to do is wire this to an output - that's pretty cheap, easy to do and hi-quality.
So why shouldn't they do this?

But saying "TV Out is crap, because the quality sucks" without knowing if it will be RGB or Composite is pointless, don't you think?

The chip has RGB but that doesn't mean their connector will deliver it. Look at the Nomad it had TV out but only composite, a real Megadrive had RGB. Then there was the N64 which had it internally but didn't deliver it to the connector (I know because I had to mod it with transistors and wire it up)

With the GPx2 they will almost certainly just go the cheap way and support the lowest common denominator which is composite/RF.

So I will re-phrase "TV Out is crap if it is only composite or RF, because the quality sucks"

Sonic-NKT posted on Aug 12 2005 at 10:58 PM said:
And for the next gen console i wont buy a new tv too, why. for some more pixels, they will be playable on normal tv too, if i want high resolution i play pc.

Well it is more pixels, higher scan rate, more saturated colors, cleaner picture (no noise), all for much better detail. PC is ok but then you are playing on a keyboard at a desk and a smaller screen. An Xbox 360 on a nice big HDTV will be the best.

Back