Guy Who Wants To Sue Gamepark, Gph, Me & Ed

I don`t know, it doesn`t make any sense... this whole thing doesn`t.

thrashmonkey posted on Sep 13 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
Maybe I should have introduced myself first. I didn't mean to give anyone the fear, I just got over excited. So just to clarify *no beard... not him*.

Erm, hello everybody. I'm new here.
Welcome and sorry for that /\ as xnopasaranx said, good timing :)

spoyser posted on Sep 13 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
sehs33 posted on Sep 13 2006 at 12:15 PM said:
* I smell geoffstechno *

Shouldn't that be geoffstench 'o BS

Ha? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Sep 12 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
OK, Ed was sent this link and passed it to me and, well, you kind of have to read it to believe it.

It all starts here (as far as we know):

http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/32623.html

Where he allegedly claims he invented the GP32 / GP2x and all the publicity and it was stolen from him.

He then follows this up with a few more posts, the best one being this:

http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/37176.html

And more on his blog here: http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

He even allegedly claims I stole all the stuff on the UK site from him.

I've never met or heard of this guy until today.

Maybe there are just one or two little errors in his claims ;) take a look.

This guy isn't even intelligent. Looking at his comments (others have said this also), he seems to be saying he has the rights to a PMP, and he "thinks" its the GP2x.

Here's the thing, and its important. Generally, when you approach someone with an "invention", you run the risk of the idea being taken and developed without your permission. There isn't anything you can do about it, since you can't prove it was your idea. What you do is one of two things, either you put in a patent request (everyone has seen Patent Pending before), thus proving the date you lodged your idea with the relevent authorities, or you take the plans and deposit them in say a bank vault, again with proof of the date they were deposited. Without this evidence, you are well and truly screwed.

What he has done here, is also a very common mistake in these sorts of areas...He's put in "writing" albeit electronically that he is accusing GPH, you CraigX and ED of theft. You are now in a position to counter sue him for slander. The outcome would most likely be based on the resulting potential court case involiving the ownership of the GP2x "idea" if you like. If he wins, you can't counter sue him (well, actually ED you probably can since you just run a site full of LEGAL software), if he loses, he's really screwed because the courts have now said "bollocks" to his claims....This doesn't mean you'll win, since the court cannot prove him to be lying, just that he can't prove to be telling the truth. Again, ED would certainly win damages here since he can prove he is an innocent party.

My gut here is that this guy has posted this crap looking for someone to put a small fish on his hook for him, he knows the likes of Sony would destroy him in court, but a small company might back off and just give him cash.

if it were me, i'd throw the ball back into his court, ask him to fedex you all available proof, including dated plans and proof of ownership along with a dated proof of where and when the plans were lodged (or a patent number). Give him a date to do it by (be reasonable) and tell him if he can't provide this information then he is welcome to go forward....off a cliff.

drokkeh posted on Sep 13 2006 at 05:55 PM said:
lubidog posted on Sep 12 2006 at 09:44 PM said:
I invented the GP2x and so did my wife!

Heheh - nice reference to The Life of Brian :)

Yeah, very good...never found Monty Python funny though. On a more serious note, I think the reason CraigX started this thread was for support and perhaps some advice, not jokes. Lets cut the crap people.

This geoff guy is really annoying, just reading his posts you can see it sounds like crap and that he is trying to back up rubbish with more rubbish. Hope someone sues him for being an arsewipe.

AdamK posted on Sep 13 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
He uses livejournal, and if he's like most people there, he's an obsessive loser with severe mental problems.

nice way to tar everyone who has a livejournal.. i have an LJ account.. guess I have severe mental problems.

That probably explains why I'm developing a new crpg for the gp2x.. :unsure:

I posted some prelim game details on http://mega-tokyo.com/blog but you might not want to read the ramblings of someone who has a livejournal.....

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 13 2006 at 01:45 PM said:
He uses livejournal, and if he's like most people there, he's an obsessive loser with severe mental problems.

nice way to tar everyone who has a livejournal.. i have an LJ account.. guess I have severe mental problems.

I posted some prelim game details on http://mega-tokyo.com/blog but you might not want to read the ramblings of someone who has a livejournal.....
LOL chill dude, I did say "most", so obviously there are exceptions.

This dude isn't an exception though, apparently. I only briefly read the first post when I replied, but now that I've been reading the thread a bit, it seems I'm dead on. It wouldn't surprise me if he fit more LJ stereotypes as well (such as being a furry fanfiction writer, who claims to be bisexual just to be "alternative"/for attention).

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 13 2006 at 07:45 PM said:

He did say most people... and not all people.

subcon959 posted on Sep 13 2006 at 04:00 PM said:
Don't forget these guys are in the middle of a war.. knowing you could get blown up any minute would probably make you a bit loopy too.

I for one, would not be thinking about lawsuits. <_<

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 13 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
From the page that ste_167 posted, it seems he is involved at the hebrew university in jerusalem... is he a professor? That would seriously damage my trust in the intellectual elite...

Actually, this makes more sense than most things here! Really...

Like this: To be working in the academy, as a researcher, will often lead to a somewhat exaggerated idea of the importance of ones work. Of course this is somewhat of a stereotype, but I think I could argue that really, it is a necessity - in order to be a successful researcher, you need to enlarge your own work (in your mind) and not pay much attention to other parts of the world, much like a top athlete need to focus on his training, not on, say, world politics or the development of the open 'ah' sound in spoken hebrew during pre-christian times. If someone thinks I'm just milking stereotypes, I'll just say that I work in the university world, as a lecturer. I know this phenomenon intimately :)

Anyways, so Mr Fella here ponders about The Right Way to make a handheld device to play his old, "proper PC games" and possibly comes up with a working demo hardware and software combo. Needlessly complicated, maybe - Why have essentially a windows compatible hardware, and try to run windows games using Linux and Wine? - but, still, a working demo protoype nonetheless. So, he shops around for interested parties, shows his prototype to a few people, who will listen and smile and discuss politely, and when he's left the room they all do a little shrug and say "Oh, well, professors", because in practice, of course, the machine is to expensive, too powerhungry and does not really fit any part of the gaming market (really, if people want to play old windows games on the go, we have a wonderful invention called "the laptop"). So instead they continue on their planned development course, with inexpensive (and not so capable, but also not so powerhungry) stock hardware and an aim for emulators and homebrew stuff.

Now, in academia, you never have to worry about market segments - Any idea that seems important to you is of great value. Since he wants to have an easily hackable handheld PC to play last years windows games on, of course everyone wants one. It is an Important Idea, and he has figured out The Right Way to build it. So when GPH releases a handheld gaming device based on other hardware and with other capabilities, the first idea is not, "oh, so they went and did something else", but rather "They've taken my idea (Handheld, linux) that I explained to them, but they got it wrong!". See, every person in academia knows of idea stealing/copying, and everyone knows the experience of trying to explain important ideas to people outside the field, and getting frustrated because they get it wrong. The experience of someone looking at ones work and saying "Well, see, this is not useful in the real world" is far less common.

And so, maybe the whole thing can be explained without resorting to any more severe madness than what comes naturally with an academic position...Not that I know, mind, but it all fits awfully well in my head. See, I work at a uinversity, and so know I've figured out the Right Way to explain this phenomenon...:)

Back