Has *anybody* received a refund from OpenPandora Ltd (Craig's) in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By filing a claim with them - you could argue that the client list itself has value and should be an item on auction.
Privacy concerns, anyone?
When I order from a company, I don't give them permission to share my address with random other companies!

What would stop a spammer from buying the list? Privacy law.

In fact I doubt Craig is legally allowed to give his customer list to ED,

unless he would contact each and every customer for permission to share their info.

He'd would not want to do that, especially if he's being sued :/

Actually, that is absolutely no problem.

You are not allowed to sell or give away addresses for any other purpose than they were given to you.

As a customer, you allow them to use your data in order to fulfill your order.

If that wouldn't be the case, then Craig could not even SHIP your orders, as UPS needs to get all these addresses as well.

So if I get the addresses in order to ship Pandoras to you, that's perfectly legal, though you need to set up a small agreement where the 3rd party agrees to only use the addresses for that specific reason.

No joke.. At the time, we'd set up a private irc channel, a wiki for recording notes.. Most decisions were hammered out in IRC, regarding firmware. Recall that half of us got dev pcboards -after or same time as- the initial shipping date (oops :) .. So were were going fast, trying to stabalize firmware for imminent shipping. (We didn't know it'd slide a few times..)

Anyway, Linux was the only option (and what we wanted to use anyway) .. Android (check the release dates!) was not out yet. Its earliest versions there were still closed beta and crummy.

Craig didn't come to irc to discuss anything, nor go to wiki. He says he was involved in firmware design but was not. He will say we ignored him, but we asked him to join irc and email conversation. At the time i just assumed he was busy with hw production...

Anyway, his reality distortion field has us actively ignoring and defying him, and even thinking he was pushing android on us.. But that was what, 2 years later? And by that time cpasjuste had ported android to pandora :)

Its part of his weird world view.. Anything he now disagrees with, he edits in his brain.

And no, he doesnt say thanks. He's quick to lay down smack and make demands.. But no thanks. Fine.. But thats what makes me think hes half sociopath :)

Fwiw we also assumed a feedback loop .. ED presumably talked to craig every few days (no idea if true) back then, so we assumed c would see some firmware builds and talk to ED, so advice on usage/etc was our guiding path.. We assumed it was ED and Craig.

Anyway, so i assume C had -some- input that way.. I don't want to paint he had no input (though well might have not)

btw, Jeff, did you get your prize for the 2010 (?) compo? 
IIRC C said he got the dev board which is worth several thousand $ ;)
Vader: "Pray I don't change the deal any more!" ;)

GBAX 2007 I think it was; the proceeds were supposed to be a Nintendo DS and some games IIRC, but then we agree'd he'd send me a production Pandora. After prodding him a few times over the years, it came out that in his mind he'd decided my dev board was that Pandora (without telling me of course ;) ... obvious questions were 'no one else had to win a compo to get a dev board' and 'hey, I worked thousands of hours for free for pandora, maybe the dev board was for that..' -- but fine, whatever. In his mind, he'd redefined the winnings into oblivion. Fine, whatever :) But again.. telling, no?

I feel for the poor guy who won the last compo and is owed some sizable prize monies :/

I wonder how much certain Pandora's will be worth in the "retro videogame market" in the year 2030..
When Craig becomes the next Steve Jobs... these suckers will be worth their weight in plastic. ;)

That means Ed is the Woz.
This is the funniest thing I've read all day :) So true! And as history teaches us .. Woz is respected, but Jobs is the rich one who parks in handicapped spots and yells at everyone ;)

jeff

Privacy concerns, anyone?

When I order from a company, I don't give them permission to share my address with random other companies!

What would stop a spammer from buying the list? Privacy law.

In fact I doubt Craig is legally allowed to give his customer list to ED,

unless he would contact each and every customer for permission to share their info.

He'd would not want to do that, especially if he's being sued :/
Actually, that is absolutely no problem.

You are not allowed to sell or give away addresses for any other purpose than they were given to you.

As a customer, you allow them to use your data in order to fulfill your order.

If that wouldn't be the case, then Craig could not even SHIP your orders, as UPS needs to get all these addresses as well.

So if I get the addresses in order to ship Pandoras to you, that's perfectly legal, though you need to set up a small agreement where the 3rd party agrees to only use the addresses for that specific reason.
Further than that I can guarantee you it's the same way here in Australia. Got ADSL with an ISP other than Telstra? That ISP had to pass on your personal details to Telstra to arrange the connection. (even if you're connected through the ISP's own equipment, the act of connecting it to your phone line had to be done by Telstra or one of their sub-contractors, as they control the exchanges.)

Privacy policies (which constitute a portion of the agreement between you and the company you are dealing with) always contain exceptions allowing the company to pass on your details to third parties for the purposes of fulfilling your order. They have to or most businesses wouldn't be able to do business.

(I doubt Craig ever had a proper privacy policy, but the principle is still valid)

- Neelix

GBAX 2007 I think it was; the proceeds were supposed to be a Nintendo DS and some games IIRC, but then we agree'd he'd send me a production Pandora. After prodding him a few times over the years, it came out that in his mind he'd decided my dev board was that Pandora (without telling me of course ;) ... obvious questions were 'no one else had to win a compo to get a dev board' and 'hey, I worked thousands of hours for free for pandora, maybe the dev board was for that..' -- but fine, whatever. In his mind, he'd redefined the winnings into oblivion. Fine, whatever :) But again.. telling, no?

I feel for the poor guy who won the last compo and is owed some sizable prize monies :/

I wonder how much certain Pandora's will be worth in the "retro videogame market" in the year 2030..
When Craig becomes the next Steve Jobs... these suckers will be worth their weight in plastic. ;)

This is the funniest thing I've read all day :) So true! And as history teaches us .. Woz is respected, but Jobs is the rich one who parks in handicapped spots and yells at everyone ;)

jeff
but jobs is dead and woz is still alive and kicking

ut oh.....

>>> 

jeff
but jobs is dead and woz is still alive and kicking

ut oh.....
Craig is dead.. He fell off the roof. doing what he loved. RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet there will always be a market for "retro-gaming-hardware".

And since this software (e.g.: PSone games, Quake 1 - 2, etc., etc...) usually wont raise its hardware requirements anymore. ^^

Its an huge win-win situation for the Pandora some day.

I guess this device is even selling itself in about 5-10 years or so.

The reason therefore is simple.

There is already tons of software available for this device and most of it are ageless classics which can be digged out over and over again without losing their quality.

Me for example always find myself playing Dungeon Keeper over and over again during the years after release. (Even nowadays)

And since that is also possible on the 1 Ghz Pandora through Qemu.

Just awesome !

And who knows... maybe some day all preorder queues are cleared...

All investors got their money back...

Maybe the price of the device itself is being dropped a little...

Makes this device selling itself even better...

... I guess / hope this all comes to a good end. =)

At least thats what I think.

I bet there will always be a market for "retro-gaming-hardware".

And since this software (e.g.: PSone games, Quake 1 - 2, etc., etc...) usually wont raise its hardware requirements anymore. ^^

Its an huge win-win situation for the Pandora some day.

I guess this device is even selling itself in about 5-10 years or so.

The reason therefore is simple.

There is already tons of software available for this device and most of it are ageless classics which can be digged out over and over again without losing their quality.

I don't think it's a problem of producing slowly, since ED can have them built in bursts; the dragonbox site claims that there are over 50 in stock. When there's a need for more, then he probably will order 30-100 more, in stead of a more time consuming production.

I already have http://openpandora.org/ in all of my profiles,

tell people about it and show it around, but this does not seem to work, hmpf.

The problem is, that they either have no idea of all the possibilities or people fear, that it is too cimplicated until they actually USED it.

I am not a nerd, but the Pandora is easy to use and great anyway.

I got myself a 3DS-XL and the low resolution is a bit disturbing, if you are used to the OP screen. ^^

Well, I think that the reason most people are reluctant is that they don't really see the possibilities over their whatever device with larger numbers, or the fairly high price. In my opinion, it's difficult to persuade someone to use quite a bit of money for something they aren't fully able to judge at glance. Unlike, say, DS, there are no definitive games which are popular and wanted. There is no "Mario" in existance on the Pandora.

As for myself, though, showing it to some people accustomed with Linux has really made an impression. A couple of my friends are on the verge of buying an unit, but the most difficult thing for myself is to answer the question: "well, what can it do?" The price is hard to justify if you don't fill into the niche - imo the classic pandoras are worth the price even as a gaming console. But for rebirths and 1 GHz units, I think that the person also would have to know to enjoy the other functions, or not already own other devices which do similar things.

I said this originally.

Edit:

"You have a very active imagination Overgauss. I guess if you have nothing to say in response to my questions (which you know, are because of my deep seated hatred of you and not because you said anything that could be perceived as highly questionable or pointless) we can all just leave it at that."

Speaking of leave it at that.  I pretty much have for the most part.  For instance I don't follow you from thread to thread everytime I disagree with you. You've made comments about registers, assembly (language), and multiple core emulation (to name a few) that I don't necessarily agree with, yet I didn't hop into those threads to destroy you even though it would have been easy and fun.  In essence you don't control my behaviour, yet you consistently react to mine. I leave you to your opinion, yet you refuse to leave me to mine.  It's ok.  I understand.  You really can't help yourself because you don't have the willpower to control your behaviour.  If it will at all atone for the grevious harm I must have inflicted upon you in the past, feel free to start an Exophase pwns Overgauss thread.  Come at me as much as you like there.

Perhaps for now, it's best that you ignore me like i asked you many times in the past to do.  It's not about us, it's about keeping this Pandora dream alive.
Then I'm asked to start a thread a coupla few times. /yawn

I think we're going to have to give up on the assembly/registers/optimization topic..
Perhaps he's in the process of creating a massive WALL-OF-TEXT with numerous mind-numbing quote pyramids? :)

Building pyramids takes some time I hear... especially the really big ones. ;)

We may be in for a treat.... If any of us live long enough to read through the first post. x.x

Pleasant as always.

Edit to add:

So I started reading the thread backwards and got to this gem (somewhere around page 21).  You've heard of lol, well this made me PSHHHWww out loud.

"You are really so biased it's painful to watch." This was in reference to the Judge, and really made my day. HAW!

I am biased.  You are all lawless scum, will be shot down without mercy!

In other news, Aquaria runs pretty well on Pandora now, thanks to lunixbochs libGL.

Many, many other games can also be built with libGL, and little or no porting effort.

This should be a great incentive for refund peoples to think again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back