Release Hase 1.5

How about having recoil from shots?

It would be more realistic (hah) and would prevent people just using full power all the time as they seem to at the moment

Also, I like hop as the only way of moving (thats why they're hares, right?) but would prefer more detailed control over jump 'power'.

I'm fine with hopping about, but recently we've had a lot of situations where a single pixel means a surface is untraversable.  Course, you can always get creative with the small carrot, but that should be advanced tactics, and not something you need to know to stop a level being frustrating.

Recoil from shots could be a neat out if you accidentally find yourself drifting in zero-G.  I don't really have a problem with people shooting at 100% though - if you don't want to be shot, find yourself somewhere to hide (although having said that, I'm not to keen on people building hides, as you probably know).  But as I say, a cool idea which might be neat to try.

Problem with full power is that it makes pretty much all trajectories straight (and so easy, boring). 

As to building hides: Feel free to yell at me if I try it again

True.  It made more sense when people were less confident about moving around, and you needed to be craftier with lower power shots that follow gravity when not in a direct line of sight, but in practice now people are either able to move to exactly where their opponent is, or they miss.

I still think it might be helpful if it were possible for game creators to decide on some of these features when setting up a game, so we could test out more gameplay permutations.  You could enable/disable moving, jumping, carrots, magic, building (yay) or anything new that Ziz wants to try out such as recoil.

I think getting closer to Worms is a good idea. In worms you can also shoot with full power if you are quite close to an enemy. Does this make the game easier? No, because most of the time you are not very close to an enemy, because it is not easy possible to reach it, so I will add:

• A more worms like movement
  • Damage, when you fall too hard
However I will decrease the max power of the bazooka, so that it keeps a balistic curve. Probably around 75% of the power will be the max power in the next major release.
I know you guys LOVE settings, but settings make work and make a game complex. I doubt they add much fun compared to the work they make.

We normally have three of four players with three hares, and often two more AIs.  You're very often near somebody you want to shoot, and able to get there (even with the sparse levels me and Binky like to find).  That said, a slightly less powerful carrot (it's not a bazooka, remember!) sounds good to me.

I think getting closer to Worms is a good idea. In worms you can also shoot with full power if you are quite close to an enemy. Does this make the game easier? No, because most of the time you are not very close to an enemy, because it is not easy possible to reach it, so I will add:

• Damage, when you fall too hard
However I will decrease the max power of the bazooka, so that it keeps a balistic curve. Probably around 75% of the power will be the max power in the next major release.

I know you guys LOVE settings, but settings make work and make a game complex. I doubt they add much fun compared to the work they make.
I will add:

I really like this direction of dev. have you also considered adding the hare's velocity to the projectile's? i did quick test by firing in a jump and it seems you currently do not.

I really like this direction of dev. have you also considered adding the hare's velocity to the projectile's? i did quick test by firing in a jump and it seems you currently do not.
In fact I did never thought of this. I know it would make more sense physicswise, but it makes it harder to aim while flying like e.g. flying above an enemy hare and air bombing it. ;)

In fact I did never thought of this. I know it would make more sense physicswise, but it makes it harder to aim while flying like e.g. flying above an enemy hare and air bombing it. ;)
The gravity and projectile trajcectories seem very realistic, so i found this part a bit 'off'. I think if you have played games where projectiles are dropped or fired when moving before (liero,teeworlds,triplane turmoil), it is not very hard getting used to (a little more i agree). and space-to-ground strikes are advanced tactics anywhoo, first time players would not know. Consider it a feature request =)

Since this thread's been bumped, I'll take this opportunity to note a little bug I've noticed (and a suggested workaround if I may):

Since reconfiguring my keys I've noticed that if you have any letter keys in use as game controls, when you open a chat box during a game, it contains all the keys you've pressed prior to opening the box.

Although that is a workaround to another problem with using letter keys; that you can't use them in a chat message without closing the chat box.  I discovered I could type in my message before opening the box!

So, if I may I'd like to propose two things; the game chat box should be cleared when it's opened; and the keyboard config should contain two more settings - 'ok' and 'cancel'.  The game could use those in menus and dialogs instead of repurposing the jump and shoot buttons, and allow you to use letter keys as action buttons since it should ignore all special keys when in a dialog except the ok and cancel buttons (which it would be more obvious to me shouldn't be common keys

Actually that's probably three things.
I added / fixed these points and some more with the new version, changelog:

1.5.4.6:

- Fixed bug with chat input while chat window not open

- Different button mappings for menu and ingame

- Two new sprites (thx @ Comradekingu)

- Fixed low chance of seg fault right after start of an online game

Oh, my pandora battery is empty and I am at work, so some feedback, whether it works would be nice.

In case it's worth anything, it all works on i386 linux; keyboard configuration is much easier now, thanks.  I no longer get fluff in the chat window as far as I can tell.

One item of note; when in a chat window in game, the in-game menu configuration seems to override the menu cancel button; on my current configuration both of those are set to 'Escape'.   In game, I need to hit menu-back to get out of it - hitting Escape gives me the menu.  In the lobby, it works fine using menu-cancel.  You could argue that game menu is appropriate in game, but the on-screen help suggests my escape key will get me out of a chat window, when in fact it won't.  I'd suggest making it impossible to get into the menu until you'd got out of a chat window as the simplest way of making sure the on-screen text is always correct in this instance.

I just did add the possibility to speed up a game / replay.

Have a look in the ingame help for the button combo.

I released 3 new versions the last day:

The probably coolest features are a logo made by comradekingu and the possibility to fast forwards games, especially replays, the AI playing or to catch up in spectator mode.

1.5.4.9:

- Fixed two crash bugs on resizing

- Added a logo made by comradekingu

- Added possibility to play online / watch replays without being online in the chat

- Fixed the menu size for most cases

- Improved dolphin

1.5.4.8:

- Showing global chat ingame, but greyed out

- Fixed font size for small resolution devices like the GCW

- Removing nubs for pandora (I doubt anybody used it)

1.5.4.7:

- Added fast forward for games for boring AI or replays

Which version introduced seeing general IRC chatter in game (not just stuff said in the game room)?  I like that; reduces the need to have a separate IRC client open to see what's going on.

Edit: Ah, 1.5.4.8; just spotted the log entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Requests:

1. I think messages with different < >'s shouldnt show up in the current game otherwise it will be chaotic if there are multiple game-rooms

2. Maybe black with white outline for the out of game messages rather than gray on gray.

3. Ability to spectate at the current turn

4. Ability to rejoin game

hase.gif

Hmm, it seems we're having trouble getting a game working at the moment.  At first I thought the Pandora build was bugged; Binky's been playing on Pandora, rest of us on Linux (I think), and he kept getting made a zombie early on - according to our game, but on his system he kept playing (I'm not sure if we were all zombies on his machine).

But then we had a situation where I got stuck waiting for Lolla's data, but sheepluva got stuck waiting for me to play and send some data.  So clearly it's not just Binky who can get a divergent game.

Something's up, but I've no idea what it is exactly.

A few times now I've ended up in games where everyone else thinks I'm a zombie, but I don't know (other than talking via IRC) that anything has gone wrong.

The game carries on as if nothing has happened, at least for one round of turns. (could the AI be silently taking over from human players?)

Sometimes I can even continue playing (and even win) my local fork of the game, long after the 'real' game has ended.

Sometimes, if everyone else is waiting for a player's data, which seems to be taking an unreasonable time to send (minutes, easily), and that player quits, the game unjams and everyone else can continue playing as normal.

I few times now I've been seeing "waiting for turn data from <user>", everybody else has been seeing "waiting for turn data from Binky" and when I quit, the game resumes for everybody else.

These problems seem to be present in at least the last two versions on the pandora repo.

Feature request; Play a sound (beep, bell, "lets go!") on the client when it is your turn.  Often when playing hase we are doing something else while it is other people's turn, and we miss it when it becomes our turn.

I hope that was understandable.

Back