Hase sprites and textures

Ziz

Advanced Member
Hi pandora folk,

as you may know, I am working on a title called Hase, a worms like game with gravity in space. With hares! (It's in the repository: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=hase_prototype-hase_prototype-12345 )

In the next release I will implement such things like ingame chat and better weapons.

However I would also like to let the user choose the character instead of choosing a random coloured hare. The problem is: I am not uncreative, but not very talented in making sprites. I invested all my talent in the hare animation of hase and you know the result...

So I thought, I could outsource this task and to ask you to make such sprite animations!

For this I made a little program to show the sprite animation without the need of hase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-N9tbBMyEk

How do I create such an animation

All you need to do is to edit such a file:

example.png

The first 4 subpictures (each 32x32 + a one pixel border in each direction, so 34x34) are the start-up phase before the jump (ducking). Every frame lasts 40ms.

The last 2 subpictures show the jump itself, the hare stretches and in the game (and the example program shown above) the character jumps. Here every frams lasts only 20 ms.

So the whole animation is only 200 ms long (otherwise it would be quite annoying to move in Hase).

How do I see the result in action?

All you have to do is to edit the example.png and to start the given program with it as parameter, e.g. with drag and drop the image to the hase_sprite_test.exe in Windows or with "./hase_sprite_test image" in Linux (in Thunar on the pandora drag and drop is working, too).

I made versions for Linux (32 & 64 Bit), Windows 32 Bit and Pandora.

What will you get?Fame! If I like your idea I will add your sprite to the next version of Hase and will name you ingame! Furthermore if many suggestions will be submitted (too much to add all), I will create a poll to estimate the most popular ones.

What to consider?

Please keep in mind, that only way of moving in hase is jumping. So your animation should show a jump like above. Furthermore the collision test in hase assumes the sprite to be a circle. So the character should not be too tall and thin. But except for this, your imagination is not blocked! You can create any jumping "thing": A human, a frog, a ball, a penis, a ghost, literally anything!

I hope I get some suggestions! All I need is your created png file. :)

Thanks in advance!

greetings Ziz

Attachments

• hase_tester_linux32.tar.gz
    252.3 KB · Views: 218
  • hase_tester_linux64.tar.gz
    305 KB · Views: 225
  • hase_tester_pandora.tar.gz
    570.5 KB · Views: 221
  • hase_tester_win32.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:
My drawing skills may be enough to animate a single-colored ball, but I don't think you want it =)

How about I contribute by porting XPaint to Pandora real quick?

My drawing skills may be enough to animate a single-colored ball, but I don't think you want it =)

How about I contribute by porting XPaint to Pandora real quick?
Looks good! Not only for sprites, but also for my notes in lectures at university. Atm I use mtPaint for this. ;)

I can give it a go. But it might take some time.

Soon as you have a 32bit linux version up, I'll have a go at this. I really like the shading you've done on the blue hare by the way - s/he's always my favourite in-game.

Rainbow hare is best hare! :D

I will upload is this evening. :)

Keep the time you need, I will not release a new version the next two months™. ;) Too much to do in RL :(

The hares jiggle when they're under your control, but you're not moving them, right? Does that use sprites 1 and 2 or 1,2 and 3?

32bit linux version working perfectly here by the way, thanks!

The hares jiggle when they're under your control, but you're not moving them, right? Does that use sprites 1 and 2 or 1,2 and 3?
Yes, the program is not perfect, just fast made to show the very small jumping animation. I don't move anything, the just jump. o_OI don't understand your second question. The sprite is loaded and shown 6 times: 3 times ½, normal and double size unrotated (but with animation) und 3 times with the same sizes jumping around the cirle.

32bit linux version working perfectly here by the way, thanks!
Excellent!

Sorry, I mean that - in the game - when you're aiming or deciding where to go and not moving, it shows your hares idle animation - is that right? My Pandora is out of action at the moment, so I'm going by my recollection. Which frames does that animation use, if it exists?

Anyway, I've made a penis animation (it was your idea!), but to be honest it just looks like worms wearing hats ;)

Sorry, I mean that when you're aiming or deciding where to go and not moving, it shows your hares idle animation - is that right? My Pandora is out of action at the moment, so I'm going by my recollection. Which frames does that animation use, if it exists?
Ah! This is the first, most left subpicture.
Anyway, I've made a penis animation (it was your idea!), but to be honest it just looks like worms wearing hats ;)
Both sounds perfect! Especially when I can tell anyone, that the character is a worm with hat! Whoever sees something else has a bad mind!
pic or it doesn't exist!

I got another offer in the Dingoonity board from Gab1975, also around the topic "the thing spring":

hase_pseudo_reflection_effect.png

hase_flashing_triangle.png

If you want to see it animated, just download the png and start the hase_sprite_tester with it.

I already like them a lot! :D

Furthermore I thought about the licensing of your work.

I think CC-BY-SA would perfect, what do you think? I would put all my assets under this license, too. The sourcecode stays GPL of course. ;)

Greetings, Ziz

So I started this thread over 3 weeks ago.

Anyone else except Levi or Gab1975, who wants to contribute something for Hase?

Would be a shame, if the community would only be made out of ptitseb's ports, some black magic of notaz and never ending discussions about keyboard designs. :\

Greetings, Ziz

I'm no good in doing gfx, a friend of mine is though.

I'll ask him if he's interested in doing some graphics for you but you'll have to wait as he's on a trip through Asia right now. :)

Back