Haters and doubters: my fight for the pandora.

Tellurium

Still Fresh
So my dad doesnt want me to get a pandora. Why? because its not main stream. He says i should get an ipad! I hate apple! I said i want a pandora cuz it does everything a laptop can do but it fits in my pocket. He says who cares. Thats why he got his droidx so he could do work on the road. My dad always talks about getting a nes or n64 and i told him if i got a pandora that it would do all of that. He doubts that it is even real. He says umpc's just arent relevant so i say lets make them relevant. I want one cuz its differnt too. Who wants an eee pc or some other netbook when i could have an even smaller netbook type device with dedicate gaming controls! Give me more reasons to give to my dad to comvince him to let me get one. Parents are "always right" eh?

be glad your not on the opposite end of telling your spouse you want a Pandora. sure they say "it does what?" and "how much?". well my wife didn't really care i purchased my Pandora a year or so ago, who cares that she doesn't know i upgraded to premium to get it quicker? eh not really, but tell him that the Pandora will make you the envy of your friends all around. give him the "i'm wanting to learn assembly language, dad" that's what i did back in the late '70s to get an Apple ][. drawback? i did have to learn 6502 and 65C02 assembly, but it made me the person i am today and then i went and taught myself 6510 and Motorola 68xxx assembly too.

anyway, i'm old and have my Pandora now, and i'm now trying to learn ARM assembly.

good luck with your dad.

Thanks ill tell him all of that. he just says no one supports it or knows what it is so he thinks its a scam-dora. ill tell him i could dev on it and do work on it. He just is closed minded. He believes that you cant use a word processor that isnt microsoft. agh. ill show him some you tube vids and change his mind.

^ I don't know of how much help it is to you, but we do have the User Reviews Aggregation Thread as well, for some honest write-ups direct from users.

Don't get into any fights over it, though - I'm sure that your dad is just trying to keep your best interests at heart, and is probably concerned about you ending up with a device that can't really be used well, or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's rather pointless to explain something like the Pandora to people who suggest "getting an Ipad". Apple is essentially the antithesis of the open source culture; That's the keyword when considering the Pandora: OPEN SOURCE.

The Pandora and the iPad are not really competing products at all.

The iPad is for people who want their user experience to be dictated by Apple. It's for people who want access to the media provided to them with the apps allowed for them to use that don't want to have to learn anything. People who want what the iPad is will never be satisfied with a Pandora because they would actually have to make an effort to accomplish anything.

The Pandora is for people who want a device that will do what they tell it to. It's for people who want access to the media and applications that they can get to work, with no imposed limitations to those willing to learn. People who want what the Pandora is will never be satisfied with an iPad because it won't let them do whatever they want to.

Is he paying for it? If so, not much you can do but try and convince him, but you could try this:

Compile a list of all the things you want to do with your mobile device (iPad vs. Pandora, maybe others). Make sure it's a comprehensive list of only things YOU want to do with it. Then specify on that list which device can do what without any additional hardware. If both can do one of the listed items, explain which can do it better and why. Be brief with these descriptions, and don't be biased.

Then show him the list and let him look it over.

If that doesn't work and your dad is rich, have him buy you an iPad, then complain endlessly about how it doesn't do what you want it to. Emphasis on 'endlessly'. Keep muttering under your breath about how a Pandora would have done what you wanted. Just make sure you're trying to make do, not just complaining to get your way.

If he isn't paying for it, I don't see what the problem is. :p

If you can't convince your dad for a Pandora and he buys you an iPad, make sure he adds some Wiimote/Classic controllers. There are a number of free emulators for the jailbroken iPad...

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/155-emulation-on-ipad/

iMAME4All, Snes9x EX and ScummVM work great. B)

PS: I have a number of open source handhelds, ordered a Pandora (long time ago) and I have a jailbroken iPad. Maybe difficult to understand for some people, but it's possible. ;)

Edit: Corrected grammatical errors.

Tell your daddy that your going to be the only one in town with a Pandora, and you will make everyboydy eles jealous. :p

My old man is pretty much an apple fanboy (I'm using the term loosely). He gave me a bunch of crap about my pandora purchase, mostly about the price. I met up with him last week and he got to check it out. He did not voice his enthusiasm (he's like that), but he was jamming on it. My dad's pushing 70..! He was getting into all kinds of stuff. When I left I knew he did not disapprove, though he would not come out and say it.

Is he paying for it? If so, not much you can do but try and convince him, but you could try this:

Compile a list of all the things you want to do with your mobile device (iPad vs. Pandora, maybe others). Make sure it's a comprehensive list of only things YOU want to do with it. Then specify on that list which device can do what without any additional hardware. If both can do one of the listed items, explain which can do it better and why. Be brief with these descriptions, and don't be biased.

Then show him the list and let him look it over.

If that doesn't work and your dad is rich, have him buy you an iPad, then complain endlessly about how it doesn't do what you want it to. Emphasis on 'endlessly'. Keep muttering under your breath about how a Pandora would have done what you wanted. Just make sure you're trying to make do, not just complaining to get your way.

If he isn't paying for it, I don't see what the problem is. :p

im paying for it but my account is linked to his so i cant get my money without his permission

Tell him the Pandora comes with all the tools necessary to write software for it, onboard, whereas the iPad will require a huge multi-thousand $$$ investment just to get hello world written.

im paying for it but my account is linked to his so i cant get my money without his permission
Hmm, how old are you? At least here (in switzerland) I can buy whatever I want with the age of at least 14 and my parents can't do anything against it. It would be illegal not to let me buy something with my own money (of course with some restrictions, but for a Pandora they wouldn't apply).

Maybe there is some law like this where you live too?

Maybe if you tell him this he lets you.

When my son asked me if he could buy an ipod, I suggested a cannoo instead as all he wanted to do is playing games. (he is 12)

All this is a matter of point of view. When buying something you maybe steal by the seller. I prefer when apple is not the seller as they always steal from their customers.

But if you take my opinion of apple out of the question, I think your parents are doing it all wrong :

You'ld better be scammed at 16 when they are around to help you, than at 25 when they wont be here anymore to help you. If they dont let you get your firsts experiences how will you learn ?

jeese. as far as support show him the angstrom repo. and the appe store. explain to him that you dont need to install itunes or have multiple copies of your media to use it. explain to him that the pandora has 2 native sd slots while the ipad does not. explain to him that it is a learning tool as well as a techy toy. explain to him that you dont want to look like a girl with that purse like ipod case. explain that all your mp3s arent apple compatible

if reason fails use rhetoric. talk of icultists being slaves to technology. talk about your friend that sat on his and how it will cost over 9000 cash to fix it. bash on vendor lockin (look that one up).

TenorMan send TenorDad to Craig's place and we could sell the ring-side seats to help raise some cash for OPT. :p

@TenorDad - The Pandora is OpenPandora's first crack at a hand-held console. It comes with a few risks and issues but if you understand and accept these you will not be disappointed with the unit. It has a full Linux desktop and offers a excellent platform to learn Linux, various programming languages and tinker with many open source projects. Compare this with the closed hardware of an Apple product where you can run only what Apple allows you to download. You could jailbreak it but there goes your warranty.

The Pandora is unique. I'm buying one as a UMPC which happens to be good at gaming. I will use this thing for entertainment but the R&D options this thing opens up are endless, and it is here the educational value of the unit wins big time.

Ok, new plan for you. It's a bit sneaky, but it might work, depending on the conditions.

Plan A:

If your father is ok with you withdrawing cash to make a purchase of an iPad, ask him to take the amount out for you. Make sure this is cash! Once you have cash in hand, take said cash somewhere you can buy a Visa Debit Gift Card. Make sure your father doesn't take you to buy it! Once you have the gift card you can use it to buy a Pandora instead. If your dad asks where your new iPad is... haven't figured that part out. :p But at least you'll have paid for your Pandora!

Plan B:

Do the same as above, getting cash for your "iPad." If your dad goes with you to get it, buy said iPad, take it home, but keep the receipt! Play with it for a bit, but don't wait too long. Return it, make sure you get money back in the form of cash, then execute Plan A.

;)

Back