Hdtv Upscaling Delay

SOLGarion

I know that when I plug in my older video game systems with 480i/p and 720i/p and such into my 1080i tv that there is a delay between sound and video as the video needs to be upscaled and the sound plays right through. Newer games like guitar hero even have a calibration to work around the issue.

So, with all that said, will this be a prolem at all? Don't know what kind of resolution will be sent out in the first place. And if it is a problem will there have to be an option in each emulator to adjust for the delay or can/will someone make one that will delay all sound coming oout of the pandora to make is sync up with the delayed video? Did a quick search of the forums on upscaling problems and didn't find anything real quick.

Peace

SOLGarion said:
I know that when I plug in my older video game systems with 480i/p and 720i/p and such into my 1080i tv that there is a delay between sound and video as the video needs to be upscaled and the sound plays right through. Newer games like guitar hero even have a calibration to work around the issue.

So, with all that said, will this be a prolem at all? Don't know what kind of resolution will be sent out in the first place. And if it is a problem will there have to be an option in each emulator to adjust for the delay or can/will someone make one that will delay all sound coming oout of the pandora to make is sync up with the delayed video? Did a quick search of the forums on upscaling problems and didn't find anything real quick.

Peace
I think this whole thing with the digital tv switchover is insane and stupid. Why not broadcast both until existing tv's fail and most of the households have digital receivers. If this goes through on February 09, it is going to cause all tv's that can't be converted to be thrown away (like portable's, under the counter tv's) and an unprecedented upgrade in tv's. It sounds good, until you realize that all these tv's are going to end up in landfills and the average tv has over 20 pounds of lead in it and all kinds of toxic chemicals. Nearly 100% of households in the US still have regular tv's because even people who have a digital tv, only have 1 digital tv and several (bedroom, kids rooms) regular tv's. $60-$80 converter boxes and I hope the boxes will have a rf out because there are a lot of tv's out there that still don't have Composite or svideo. It's just downright nuts. I know it's off topic, but I've been thinking about it. Do the digital tv's have rf input and an analog tuner as well for vcr's and old game systems? Are we going to need dedicated tv's for our old systems (Atari, coleco, intelevision...)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
Why not broadcast both until existing tv's fail and most of the households have digital receivers.
The FCC wants money. They will auction off the freed spectrum (and my handheld ham radio will no longer recieve TV audio).

In Sweden, we have made the switch and there where a lot of trouble in the beginning, for ex. Gotland (an island in Sweden) their analog broadcasts went down without the digital network reaching everyone ^^

But really the switch at least in Sweden was about cash, the costs of the analog broadcasts where redundant and as long as you don't make the switch people will continue to buy TVs that can't handle digital broadcasts(since the cost less and then digital wont be standard and cost more and around we go, never reaching the goal).
Not sure how it works in the US but in Sweden there where similar concerns raised about having to get a new TV and so on, that didn't really happen since.
Everyone that has Cable already have Digital Broadcast
Everyone that has a Satellite Broadcast has Digital Broadcast (unless the US uses alot of analog receivers but those went of the market like 10 years ago in Sweden)

and there are small digital receivers without any fancy stuff that you can connect to a normal analog antenna socket and it will receive digital broadcasts and send them to a normal old TV, they cost like $20 or something here in Sweden the cheap once (should exist something similar in the US).

So you don't really have to buy a new TV or throw away your old one, you will have to have something between your TV socket and your TV if your TV can't handle Digital Broadcasts but that's about it :)

Holokauston said:
In Sweden, we have made the switch and there where a lot of trouble in the beginning, for ex. Gotland (an island in Sweden) their analog broadcasts went down without the digital network reaching everyone ^^

But really the switch at least in Sweden was about cash, the costs of the analog broadcasts where redundant and as long as you don't make the switch people will continue to buy TVs that can't handle digital broadcasts(since the cost less and then digital wont be standard and cost more and around we go, never reaching the goal).
Not sure how it works in the US but in Sweden there where similar concerns raised about having to get a new TV and so on, that didn't really happen since.
Everyone that has Cable already have Digital Broadcast
Everyone that has a Satellite Broadcast has Digital Broadcast (unless the US uses alot of analog receivers but those went of the market like 10 years ago in Sweden)

and there are small digital receivers without any fancy stuff that you can connect to a normal analog antenna socket and it will receive digital broadcasts and send them to a normal old TV, they cost like $20 or something here in Sweden the cheap once (should exist something similar in the US).

So you don't really have to buy a new TV or throw away your old one, you will have to have something between your TV socket and your TV if your TV can't handle Digital Broadcasts but that's about it :)
One of my concerns is portable tv's and situations where a converter box isn't practical like under the shelf kitchen tv's and portable radio's with a built in tv and the portable lcd tvs. Can't exactly carry a converter box around. But I agree, it's all about money.

I agree. It's very unfortunate that my wonderful 1984 pocket TV won't work anymore. However, enough people have cable or can afford a converter that I don't think TVs will all just be thrown away. If they are, you can bet I'll be standing at the curb ready to pick them up as they fly out of houses. I'll build a video wall or something.

When mechanical refrigeration started to replace the ice box in people's homes, the ice delivery services (one of the largest industries in the US at the time) complained like you wouldn't believe. The industry lobbyists rose hell about the tens of thousands of jobs that would be lost because of this new technology. They spread FUD about the "safety" of mechanical refrigeration. The ice delivery union rioted over the layoffs and people who couldn't afford refrigerators screamed when their local ice delivery services shut down. It was a rough decade or so before they whole country was switched over to the new system.

At the time, many people asked "Is it really worth all this trouble? Why not just stick to the old system?" In retrospect, it was obviously worth the inconvenience.

The digital broadcast switchover will be inconvenient for some people, but in the end it will be well worth it. Only a small minority of citizens that receive their television over the air will have to purchase converter boxes - boxes which are being subsidized with coupons from the government. It does not directly affect people who use cable or satellite set-top-boxes at all. It would be "Insane and stupid" to further delay the digital switchover just to placate a tiny percentage of people who have antiquated hardware and who don't have the sense to get a free converter box. As for portable TVs, just get a new one. Do you really think it's necessary to hold up several billions of dollars worth of new wireless technology because you don't want to buy a new $50 TV?

Back