The Carry Case And Tv Out Will Not Cause A Delay

Asmo said:
The word 'all' wasn't used, a follow up post a page later:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...sts-a-new-pic/page__view__findpost__p__794756

They were still talking about knocking together 1000 at that point IIRC so I would have read 'the' as being a sufficient amount for those.....

This could take several further pages of scrutiny to interpret correctly though. :D
Considering you or I could go into an EB (or equivalent) and ask for 4000* PSP chargers to be ordered and delivered next week (paid for upfront, of course) I don't think they'll have much problem getting what they need.

*may be slightly exaggerated, and EB wouldn't be the best place to try. Perhaps Walmart. Point is that they're off the shelf parts with no lead time, available from many different sources, so getting a lot of them should not be a major problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Asmo said:
The word 'all' wasn't used, a follow up post a page later:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...sts-a-new-pic/page__view__findpost__p__794756

They were still talking about knocking together 1000 at that point IIRC so I would have read 'the' as being a sufficient amount for those.....

This could take several further pages of scrutiny to interpret correctly though. :D
Considering you or I could go into an EB (or equivalent) and ask for 4000* PSP chargers to be ordered and delivered next week (paid for upfront, of course) I don't think they'll have much problem getting what they need.

*may be slightly exaggerated, and EB wouldn't be the best place to try. Perhaps Walmart. Point is that they're off the shelf parts with no lead time, available from many different sources, so getting a lot of them should not be a major problem.

Thanks Asmo - I thought the promise was a pretty typical Craigism - easy to interpet as more positive than, perhaps, the reality turns out to be.

I'm a little dissapointed that, given the problems MWeston has with various "el cheapo" power supplies, there isn't more concern in ensuring a consistent model of power supply for the Pandora. It doesn't have a power supply, just whatever's to hand when OpenPandora need to ship?

How about USA Pandoras - how will the PSUs from Craig's shed meet up with USA or German Pandoras? Or will PSUs be sourced locally - another fine service from our Texan assemblers?

The logistics just never seems to be thought through - every single step has been "well, that's easy so it shouldn't be much of a problem". I tend to agree. However, OpenPandora has managed to find a problem with the vast majority of the "should not be a problem" situations so far. I would just appreciate really BELIEVING that they have actually looked ahead, this time.

Monk said:
Thanks Asmo - I thought the promise was a pretty typical Craigism - easy to interpet as more positive than, perhaps, the reality turns out to be.

I'm a little dissapointed that, given the problems MWeston has with various "el cheapo" power supplies, there isn't more concern in ensuring a consistent model of power supply for the Pandora. It doesn't have a power supply, just whatever's to hand when OpenPandora need to ship?

How about USA Pandoras - how will the PSUs from Craig's shed meet up with USA or German Pandoras? Or will PSUs be sourced locally - another fine service from our Texan assemblers?

The logistics just never seems to be thought through - every single step has been "well, that's easy so it shouldn't be much of a problem". I tend to agree. However, OpenPandora has managed to find a problem with the vast majority of the "should not be a problem" situations so far. I would just appreciate really BELIEVING that they have actually looked ahead, this time.
Over Christmas Craig took some pics of the charger but it was all in bit's where he was checking it out to see the quality of the components etc :D

Na-Noo said:
Over Christmas Craig took some pics of the charger but it was all in bit's where he was checking it out to see the quality of the components etc :D

Yup.

as for the power supplies usability outside the UK, it's one of those multi region switched mode things iirc, as long as its fed with ac power it will work in any country on the planet, you might just need to change the plug to your own regions outlet configuration though, not sure on that, the Palm devices came with a funky plug unit where you could swap between several included wall pins to match your wall outlet, but I don't think the Pandoras is like that though.

hobbyman II said:
as for the power supplies usability outside the UK, it's one of those multi region switched mode things iirc, as long as its fed with ac power it will work in any country on the planet, you might just need to change the plug to your own regions outlet configuration though, not sure on that, the Palm devices came with a funky plug unit where you could swap between several included wall pins to match your wall outlet, but I don't think the Pandoras is like that though.
It is a two part charger, where there is the charger and cable to the Pandora, then a type 8 socket on the charger for the power cable. Theoretically, they should be including the appropriate wall-plug-cable for where they are sending to.

BackAssward said:
hobbyman II said:
It is a two part charger, where there is the charger and cable to the Pandora, then a type 8 socket on the charger for the power cable. Theoretically, they should be including the appropriate wall-plug-cable for where they are sending to.

Or, at least, one of them was a two-part charger. Maybe the other one is as well?

craigix said:
Zod just has a PSP charger with his unit (genuine).

I can do you some photos of the Pandora charger, there are two types.

It seems to me that we probably won't all be getting the same charger even in just the First Batch - which may mean that they didn't have them ALL back then... actually, heck, it could mean anything at all. Maybe the "other" one is all official genuine PSP chargers, for all I know. I'm sure they will all be of the same high standard as each other though, so we won't end up with any of the crappy ones. This is the thing with buying stuff "off the shelf" when and as you feel like it though - there is no guarantee that when you go back a second thime they will have exactly the same thing on the shelves as they did the first time around.

Monk said:
It seems to me that we probably won't all be getting the same charger even in just the First Batch - which may mean that they didn't have them ALL back then... actually, heck, it could mean anything at all. Maybe the "other" one is all official genuine PSP chargers, for all I know. I'm sure they will all be of the same high standard as each other though, so we won't end up with any of the crappy ones. This is the thing with buying stuff "off the shelf" when and as you feel like it though - there is no guarantee that when you go back a second thime they will have exactly the same thing on the shelves as they did the first time around.

Calm down for a sec. Craigix said that they bought off-the-shelf power supplies from a UK company. He himself wanted to make sure, so he tore a couple appart, and even gave use a photo after he ripped one apart. He was happy with the quality he saw after that. It has been said that he has all the power supplies needed, the ones he checked, checked out.

Monk, I often saw many reasonable posts from you in the past, this one is kinda shameful.

BackAssward said:
Monk said:

Calm down for a sec.

Huh? Who isn't calm? What are you talking about?

BackAssward said:
Craigix said that they bought off-the-shelf power supplies from a UK company. He himself wanted to make sure, so he tore a couple appart, and even gave use a photo after he ripped one apart. He was happy with the quality he saw after that. It has been said that he has all the power supplies needed, the ones he checked, checked out.

"it has been said" yes, but not by Craig and not clearly. He now has 2 types of PSU. I quoted him saying that they have 2 types of charger and sent a Dev a genuine PSP charger. did he rip apart both types of charger (not the PSP one, obviously).

I'm bemused about why he sent a genuine PSP charger rather than an official Pandora one. You aren't. Fair enough.

BackAssward said:
Monk, I often saw many reasonable posts from you in the past, this one is kinda shameful.

I'm baffled by you, I really am. You who can rant and rave at others find cause to complain at simple calm statements? You are free to attack but I have to... what? I'm not even sure what you expect of me at this stage.

I am truly baffled. There are many bizzarre people on The Internet. Please wait until someone is upset before you try to calm them down. I'm still fairly calm, but less calm than before you opened your mouth to spout... whatever that was meant to be.

BackAssward said:
Monk said:

Calm down for a sec. Craigix said that they bought off-the-shelf power supplies from a UK company. He himself wanted to make sure, so he tore a couple appart, and even gave use a photo after he ripped one apart. He was happy with the quality he saw after that. It has been said that he has all the power supplies needed, the ones he checked, checked out.

the only thing he basically said is that if they ordered the PSU's in 2 times there might be a difference in model.
I don't see anything shameful in this statement , it's simply true.

note the "I'm sure they will all be of the same high standard as each other though, so we won't end up with any of the crappy ones."

Polossatik said:
BackAssward said:

the only thing he basically said is that if they ordered the PSU's in 2 times there might be a slight difference in model.
I don't see anything shameful in this statement , it's simply true.

note the "I'm sure they will all be of the same high standard as each other though, so we won't end up with any of the crappy ones."

Thankyou for the reality check - I was kinda confused about what BackAssward was saying(/reading?), to the point where I had to re-read my own post to see what if I could find what he was upset about. I still can't find it, but thanks for assuring me that I did indeed write pretty much what I'd intended :)

Monk said:
I'm bemused about why he sent a genuine PSP charger rather than an official Pandora one. You aren't. Fair enough.
I read Craig's comment as "He already has a PSP charger so we didn't send him one."
Sending out different types of chargers isn't really a problem, from what I can see. So long as they conform to the same reasonable standards of quality, it wouldn't matter if every single person had a slightly different one. It'd be a little disconcerting if it said "PSP" on it, though that's really just an aesthetics thing.

If I was wrong, then my apologies... I may have seen a criticism that wasn't there. Monk, you have my up-most respect. Posts I've seen.

Know the simpsons, I love the one where homer seeks a soul-mate, and Moe says "I'm a well-wisher, in that I don't wish you any specific harm."
:p

But really, it was probably me who misinterpreted your post, and overreacted.

WizardStan said:
Monk said:
I read Craig's comment as "He already has a PSP charger so we didn't send him one."

Not an interpretation I had, though even if Craig sent him one the reason could be as simple as "I had it lying around, why not send it rather than open up a fresh PSU that we can sell?".

WizardStan said:
Sending out different types of chargers isn't really a problem, from what I can see. So long as they conform to the same reasonable standards of quality, it wouldn't matter if every single person had a slightly different one. It'd be a little disconcerting if it said "PSP" on it, though that's really just an aesthetics thing.

It'd be even nicer if it said "Pandora" on it, or had the logo (like the TV Out cables and presumably the carry cases) but that's by the by. Quality is the important thing as far as OpenPandora and Customers are concerned.

However, in reference to all the posts saying "THE charger is like this" and "Craig had them all at DD/MM/YYY" and "He took one apart" and anything that specifically tells other people we have one type of charger - it aint so. That isn't a good thing. It isn't a bad thing. It's a correction, a fact instead of the incorrect reportage that has gone on earlier.

Curious.

Monk said:
However, in reference to all the posts saying "THE charger is like this" and "Craig had them all at DD/MM/YYY" and "He took one apart" and anything that specifically tells other people we have one type of charger - it aint so. That isn't a good thing. It isn't a bad thing. It's a correction, a fact instead of the incorrect reportage that has gone on earlier.
My reason for mentioning it was in relation to your implied question about quality. "just whatever's to hand when OpenPandora need to ship"
Sorry should have been clearer.
If he went through the trouble of taking it apart to check it's quality, it would be very bizarre to just send out any to hand and not consider quality in whichever gets shipped.
But stranger things have happened, and if your concerned or curious about it that's fair enough.
I was reassured because he even bothered doing that, but as you said, may receive a different one.

Just what we know.

- Craigix indicated he has the power supplies.
- He tore one (ore more) apart to make sure they were good
- they came from a UK company
- they are in two parts, the unit with a cable to the pandora, and a 8 type connector for the plug-cable
- they are equivalent to a psp power supply
- they didn't go with crap (see uk suppliers, and Craigix's, and MWeston's testing)

Edit: There are two suppliers and to equivalent power supplies.

This is a 'non-issue'.

Is this one done?

BackAssward said:
Just what we know.

- Craigix indicated he has the power supplies.
- He tore one (ore more) apart to make sure they were good
- they came from a UK company
- they are in two parts, the unit with a cable to the pandora, and a 8 type connector for the plug-cable
- they are equivalent to a psp power supply
- they didn't go with crap (see uk suppliers, and Craigix's, and MWeston's testing)

This is a 'non-issue'.

Is this one done?

- Craigix said that he had some power supplies.
- He tore one (I didn't think it was more?) apart to make sure they were good.
- I don't care where they are from. I imagine they're ACTUALLY from China, but perhaps bought more locally. Quality beats geography any day.
- It was a two-part charger, with a cable to the Pandora and an 8 type connector for the plug-cable.
- They'd tested all sorts of scary crap prior to choosing these as being better.
- there is now known to be a second type/make/model/species of charger in stock at OpenPandora

craigix said:
I can do you some photos of the Pandora charger, there are two types.

That's all there is, that I am aware of - altough if I were to conjecture it could be that "the other type" is a USB charger, for customers who would like one. We don't know.

For your consideration:

BackAssward said:

BackAssward said:
If I was wrong, then my apologies...

BackAssward said:
Monk, you have my up-most respect.

If I was in a calm and respectful mood, I can't imagine how I would type the above three quotes at someone within the space of a quater of an hour. I considered trying to find ways to illustrate what I mean and how I do not interpret that as respectful, but I couldn't find one that would not itself be interpretable badly other than just to quote you, point it out, and request (as I do now) that you calm down and don't look for issues that may not be there before shouting them down. Fair enough?

mali said:
Slow news day, eh?
j/k

I found out today that my mate who has not been well got rushed into hospital, where he was told if they don't remove at least one of the tumors on his spine he'll be paralysed from the chest down and if they do then he probably wouldn't survive surgery.

He survived surgery. Now they're trying to ship him back to some hick hospital nearer his home, as soon as the hick hospital has a bed to put him in.

But that's just the edited highlights of my day. On the other hand, I look here for something a bit more... positive? :)

Back