Homebrew competition!!

Does it has to be original for the Pandora?

I've been working on a platform game with someone for the last few months, castlevania style. And we already have a demo out. We are planning to release a 2 stage demo within the next month. It already runs in the Wii and the PC, so porting to the Pandora shouldn't be to hard.

I say, "2 stage" but each stage has about 12 or so rooms. So I'm not worried about the 3 stage requirement. And the final game will have 6 stages, but we'll never get that done before the end of the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0RRMYOd4ULk?feature=oembed <- movie to show off Demo 1, with only 1 stage.

Could we enter with it?

After a little bit of thinking it isn't too bad, that it is just a month of time. It just doesn't eat that much time :) Still have to get the idea what kind of game I'll make...

i do believe you just voluntered

;)
Hehe, you don't want me to do it ;) But I see you already got a poster, neat :) (though the text is kinda hard to read)

I'd say it would have to be a new game. I would say it would have to be in a completed state. Please play through Bubbman2 for my perception of a completed game.

Again I'm sorry it's rather sh*tty of me to not allow you to submit panjoust but the competition is running to stimulate devs to create new material. I'm sure people (myself included) would be put off if games were allowed to be submitted. It's a bit like going to a festival with a watercolour competition, and instead of doing it there and then like everyone else turning up with a polished bit you've spent months on.

(Again I'm sorry for this stance but I hope you see why!)

Maybe you could add a bunch of extra levels to panjoust? I've yet to play that actually. I'm going to give it a go now.
In my opinion games should be made for this competition or else I could just release Wandor which has like nearly 2 years of development behind it - that would be kind of unfair to everybody else.

If I am going to participate I will be doing something completely new as I think it's the most fair and the most fun. Imo, everything which has been announced before should not be eligible for the price.

Also voting for the time extension, I got exams coming up so not exactly much time to do anything, though I already have an idea :S

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
^ +1, though I understand how this could be disappointing for those with great half ready games to participate with. In my opinion it would be a bit unfair to allow games that have been in development longer than the competition has been on. On the other hand, this limitation could have us miss some great titles. :unsure:

I disagree. If a game has been in development for 2 years the likelihood is that they've chopped and changed minor things like changed their characters sword 20 times...or made 20 game over sheets, other procrastinations etc.

If this competition ensures they pull their thumbs out and finish it then I'm all for it.

As a guide I've used Bubbman 2 (created in a week) as a guide. If that was submitted in this competition it would be a strong contender for it's brilliant simplicity and completeness. (Feels very professional). As such I think older projects are ok.

What's not cool however, is already having a game on a psp/wii/pc then just porting it to pandora. This is a homebrew competition after all...not a porting one.

BTW submission date has been changed to 1st April.

OK, with the added time this sounds more fair. One month would be kind of a speed contest, but two months :p is enough for a bit of polish too.

My point is, stuff that has already been announced is going to be released anyway eventually, such a competition is usually aimed at _new_ releases.

Though I am no dickhead and I agree, if someone really pushes himself to finish a half-done project in time, he deserves some reward.

Also maybe this brings some older, dead projects back to life, we'll see :p

Glad to read it has been extended to two months, that takes some pressure off and will surely improve the quality of the submissions.

foxblock out

My point is, stuff that has already been announced is going to be released anyway eventually, such a competition is usually aimed at _new_ released.

Though I am no dickhead and I agree, if someone really pushes himself to finish a half-done project in time, he deserves some reward.

Also maybe this brings some older, dead projects back to life, we'll see :p

Glad to read it has been extended to two months, that takes some pressure off and will surely improve the quality of the submissions.

foxblock out

I completely agree. In fact, i was already thinking about creating a new side-project to enter the competition :) Two months makes this even more possible.

Panjoust development will still continue of course, but it's probably not a suitable candidate for this contest

Cheers!

Does the world need another shit tank game?

Not too many platforming tank games. If you're going to do that, the results could be a lot of fun!

Edit: And if you're thinking more along the lines of your top down shooter, though it doesn't fit the exact goals of this competition I'd definitely be interested in seeing one. 2D or 3D... I've been impressed with some 2D concepts upgraded to 3d graphics ala: http://pompomgames.com/astrotripper.htm . Though, to be fair, I like the "older" version of their graphics where it was still obviously 3D, but not everything looked quite so glowy.

P. P. E. Now the date's been bumped. What have I committed myself to? :-b

Just want to say, a great initiative. I might contribute a few coins myself, like £10 or so, but need to wait until paycheck comes in. :)

Although, it is kinda ironic to trust a guy whom has Kefka, one of the most notorious backstabbers in all of gaming, as his avatar... X-D

Emcee's donation: holy crap. I'd pay him for a painted case, but $50 on top of it?!

I'm so jealous. :(

Emcee's donation: holy crap. I'd pay him for a painted case, but $50 on top of it?!

I'm so jealous. :(
Yeah very cool of him. Just if anyones interested I've gotten a bit into a shit trapdoor platform game as my submission. Lolz, it's pretty wank.

So wait, I'm puzzled - are there two competitions running now (in which case, there's an upcoming touch-screen-driven shooter I'll have more to say about shortly), or is there only the platforming one (interesting, but you really can't do a 3D platformer justice in less than a month, IMHO).

So wait, I'm puzzled - are there two competitions running now (in which case, there's an upcoming touch-screen-driven shooter I'll have more to say about shortly), or is there only the platforming one (interesting, but you really can't do a 3D platformer justice in less than a month, IMHO).

There only is one platformer competition running at the moment, this is the discussion thread, the other one is the donate/submit/vote thread, confusing when you don't know the backstory ;)

Also there will be more competitions after this one has ended (in case this goes well I guess).

Are early entry preview videos encouraged or should I keep my game a surprise :p ? Of course it wouldn't be anything like the final version, but I for one would like to see what other people are up to, and also share my work so far :)

I agree, this is probably the best way to do it. If you say "make a platformer/RPG/strategy/whatever" game, anyone who wants to enter will have to create something that matches the genre. Sounds constricting, yes? But two or three months later, you do it again with a different genre, and theoretically roughly the same group will be back to try and win again, putting work into something completely different.

If you did it completely open, let people design whatever they want, my suspicion is that most people will enter such a contest once. They'll have come up with their one great idea, and won't have the motivation to try something completely different should you do another contest.

Yes, I think specific genre is a pretty good way of serving everyone: developers are enticed to try something new (I know I've never designed a platformer before) and all users get a steady flow of new and original titles.

Back