Horror films for someone that 'can't be scared' ..?

Oh !! I missed this thread !! Interesting material to be added to the list :)

I just saw the first Pumpkinhead movie and I was more scared from the angry face of the main character than from the monster !!! :D It was unexpected !!

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems I missed this thread as well.  There are a few new ones for me in here.

I have been watching horror and other supposedly creepy or scary stuff since I was tiny.  Most of these types of films don't scare me.  The films that do are probably not what most people would expect, and not for reasons most would understand.  One of the films that scared me the most was a comedy.  Anything with certain 8 legged creatures bothers me, so Arachnophobia worked I guess, but so do some of the nature shows I watch...or going out my front door where the spiders like to hang out.  I don't know what genre it fits into, but the spiders in Penny Dreadful piss me off every time.  I should probably get caught up with it.

Back when I was very young I used to pretend to be all the bad things dwelling in the dark.  It didn't work out so well, as I would run into everything and trip over stuff.  I was more the clatter and crashing in the night than the bump.  I doubt I was scary unless someone was concerned about things that might get broken, or paying medical bills for injuries I was lucky enough to avoid.

I do like that some TV shows and movies are trying to return monsters to being things that want to kill or consume you, rather than have sex with you.  Check out The Strain if you also like that.  I am looking forward to Fear the Walking Dead.

I haven't heard anything about the At the Mountains of Madness film in a while.  I would love to see that made successfully.

For those that are scared by horror movies, why do they scare you?  I have been startled by some (quiet scene with nothing going on then something jumps out along with loud sounds...I usually expect this now, so it doesn't work too well anymore most of the time.), but not much else most of the time.

A few that come to mind...

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark 1973 

A Cold Night's Death 1973

The Car 1977

Salem's Lot 1979

Prophecy 1979

Wolfen 1981

The Thing 1982

C.H.U.D. 1984

Fright Night 1985

Cube 1997

Splinter 2008

The Strangers 2008

You're Next 2011

The Woman in Black 2012

It's not out yet but Harbinger Down might be worth a peek.

Remember Event Horizon scaring the hell out of me, although I went to the movie not knowing it was a horror movie, thought it was just a sci-fi movie. 

For a non-scary horror film, check out the new Poltergeist movie. It's exactly like the old one, only really crap and not scary.
I watched part of the Evil Dead remake and hated how they changed the feel of it in an attempt to make it scarier and more serious than the original films.  A lot of the original stuff was still there so it still had a cheesiness to it, just not of the same quality.  I like a lot of the stuff this team has done together, and it always has that goofy fun thing going on.  Many great lines in the original films.

Remember Event Horizon scaring the hell out of me, although I went to the movie not knowing it was a horror movie, thought it was just a sci-fi movie. 
I love that one.  Combining science fiction and horror is such a wonderful thing, and I really like the ideas they used in Event Horizon.

Now I want to go watch a bunch of horror movies, and I still haven't finished the episode of The Strain I started on hours ago. 

Forgot to mention 2001's Jeepers Creepers. My mother considers it one of the scariest movies ever made.

Definitely a creepy film to watch at night.  :)

It is a SciFi Movie. AND a horror Movie of course. :D   You should check the Web for pics of the deleted scenes and concepts that never went into the final movie but be warned: intense stuff!
I watched part of the Evil Dead remake and hated how they changed the feel of it in an attempt to make it scarier and more serious than the original films.  A lot of the original stuff was still there so it still had a cheesiness to it, just not of the same quality.  I like a lot of the stuff this team has done together, and it always has that goofy fun thing going on.  Many great lines in the original films.
Why wasting time with a crappy remake when you can have the Sequel to the Original! 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/unnLg1TPCYM?feature=oembedFun fact: Michael is not a Werewolf in the Opening Scene of Thriller but an Were-CAT! ;)

It is a SciFi Movie. AND a horror Movie of course. :D   You should check the Web for pics of the deleted scenes and concepts that never went into the final movie but be warned: intense stuff!
Why wasting time with a crappy remake when you can have the Sequel to the Original! 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/unnLg1TPCYM?feature=oembed
I don't rmember them too well.  I know at least the first one was popular.  They aren't in my group of favorites.  I think the second also seemed cheesy too me (but not in the way I like), I can't remember if the first did as well.  Either way, they are probably popular for a reason, and sometimes it is better to stop early instead of making 10 of them, and most of them suck compared to the original.  But that never happens with Horror franchises.

Back