GP2X How About A Homebrew Geometry Wars For The Gp2x

not that he needs anyone to defend him but ive never really seen him bitch or moan. he also doesnt do ports from what ive seen. he just make high quality original games for the gp2x which is why he is one of the most important gp2x devs as far as im concerned

predatorramboxxx said:
From what people told me about you and your work they say your the king of bitching and moaning :}
Who exactly told you this?

predatorramboxxx said:
btw iam fun playing downfall NOT!
Why would you say something like that? Whatever, just dont ask people to make stuff if thats how you treat them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what, I must admit I acted like an ass. I'm really sorry predator, I'm a bit stressed out right now, and I misinterpreted some of the things you said. I didn't mean to be agressive towards you, so hopefully we can put this ugliness behind us. :)

On the topic, I never played Geometry Wars, but from all the videos and pictures I've seen, it's background is dynamic to the player's actions. That is likely too much for the GP2X to handle, as xnopasaranx said. The need for analogue controls may also push it back a little, I think that Dzz's Vektar is the most playable interpretation of GW that we're likely to have on the GP2X.

I heard some news a while back that GW will be coming to the DS. Perhaps seeing more of that will give people an inspiration on how to approach a scaled back version of the game, and still keep all the original game's mechanics.

Good luck if you'll do a port yourself, more games is never a bad thing.

jbrodack: thanks :)

Alex. said:
You know what, I must admit I acted like an ass. I'm really sorry predator, I'm a bit stressed out right now, and I misinterpreted some of the things you said. I didn't mean to be agressive towards you, so hopefully we can put this ugliness behind us. :)

On the topic, I never played Geometry Wars, but from all the videos and pictures I've seen, it's background is dynamic to the player's actions. That is likely too much for the GP2X to handle, as xnopasaranx said. The need for analogue controls may also push it back a little, I think that Dzz's Vektar is the most playable interpretation of GW that we're likely to have on the GP2X.

I heard some news a while back that GW will be coming to the DS. Perhaps seeing more of that will give people an inspiration on how to approach a scaled back version of the game, and still keep all the original game's mechanics.

Good luck if you'll do a port yourself, more games is never a bad thing.

jbrodack: thanks :)

Ok thanks... i was acting like a little kid saying stuff like that... so what iam saying is I AM SORRY and yes i will put this behind me... and your games are good and original i just been really pissed lately here because of a guy named fuck been spamming me and annoying me.

Shifty said:
predatorramboxxx said:
From what people told me about you and your work they say your the king of bitching and moaning :}
Who exactly told you this?

predatorramboxxx said:
btw iam fun playing downfall NOT!
Why would you say something like that? Whatever, just dont ask people to make stuff if thats how you treat them.

no iam not like that at alll just get real poed when people make fun or attack of others work which he was..

hang on i started reading this, getting ready for a bit of mini Hitler enforcement, and everyone apologised and now all is well?!?
the first for an Internet forum ever....

but pred, you did come across as a little insane.

predatorramboxxx said:
Well first dont be so HOSTILE! and look at vektar i mean it could look like that. Also there is one for psp called trig. wars so that could be possible to port i can get the source code the only probelm hopefully the gp2x can support the graphics. And look at grid wars here at http://gridwars.marune.de/ look at the linux version!
I think its possible using the trig wars from PSP and i think it would work i will get more info about it and look at the source code on it!
btw DON'T PUT DOWN PEOPLES IDEAS AND COMMENTS I SEE IT ALL OVER THIS FORUMS AND THE ARCHIVE AND IT MAKES ME SICK BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SPENDING THEIR OWN TIME TRYING TO HELP OUT THE COMMUNITY!

Are you really 26 years old? I don't mean to be unnecessarily harsh or anything, but you type like a drunk 12-year-old.

With that aside, allow me to explain why Grid Wars cannot be ported. Grid Wars is a graphically intensive game, which required OpenGL, a 3D library. The GP2X does not have a 3D accelerator, nor does it have the CPU power required to run Grid Wars. That said, it might run Trigonometry Wars, but unless you supply us with the source (as opposed to ranting about it which gets you nowhere) I couldn't tell. It would, of course, run a Geometry Wars clone developed for it, but a game like that would take a lot of time and effort to develop, and no amount of ranting will make that happen.

nickspoon said:
predatorramboxxx said:
Well first dont be so HOSTILE! and look at vektar i mean it could look like that. Also there is one for psp called trig. wars so that could be possible to port i can get the source code the only probelm hopefully the gp2x can support the graphics. And look at grid wars here at http://gridwars.marune.de/ look at the linux version!
I think its possible using the trig wars from PSP and i think it would work i will get more info about it and look at the source code on it!
btw DON'T PUT DOWN PEOPLES IDEAS AND COMMENTS I SEE IT ALL OVER THIS FORUMS AND THE ARCHIVE AND IT MAKES ME SICK BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SPENDING THEIR OWN TIME TRYING TO HELP OUT THE COMMUNITY!

Are you really 26 years old? I don't mean to be unnecessarily harsh or anything, but you type like a drunk 12-year-old.

With that aside, allow me to explain why Grid Wars cannot be ported. Grid Wars is a graphically intensive game, which required OpenGL, a 3D library. The GP2X does not have a 3D accelerator, nor does it have the CPU power required to run Grid Wars. That said, it might run Trigonometry Wars, but unless you supply us with the source (as opposed to ranting about it which gets you nowhere) I couldn't tell. It would, of course, run a Geometry Wars clone developed for it, but a game like that would take a lot of time and effort to develop, and no amount of ranting will make that happen.

drunk 12 year old lmfao
nickspoon i know gridwars cant be ported i thought i said up top to scrarp it as well. I relaized it after i played around with it i should of played around with it first before sugesting it that was stupid of me. Uh ohh i was looking up trig wars for more details and i belive it relies on open gl so it will not work then. Also i belive the developer is refusing or not willing to give source code.
maybe one of these work here they all have source code.
If none if these work i will just stick to vektar never really played gem. wars before so thats why i was asking for a port. Hopefully iam not wasting ur guys time. thanks

openGL makes ports not impossible... no more. ;) it would be a lot of work even though.
BTW this is a great game!

Maybe this is a good chance to put this thought into play: many board users have ideas and would *love* to see things into existance. While i can understand them i should tell them that this pure egoistical thought and often does not appeal to others. A good way to come over is to offer help doing. Like doing an intro and ending screen imagework, concept drawings or ingame artwork, a tune, a sound effect or maybe just pure ideas how to realize it on the machine.

All this could lower the entrance barrier of some dev who would like to work but feels the large scale work to be done here and frails because of. Projects are easily started but finishing then completetly is the exact opposite of it beeing easy.

just my .2c

Well since my dream is also to have GridWars/Geometry Wars on the GP2X I decided to take the plunge and clone it. It's my first game project so any help with coding questions will be much appreciated.

Here is my current progress (IOW what's working)
- Player controls
- Scrolling
- Collision detection
- Blue diamond enemies - home in on the player
- Pink pinwheel enemies - bounce around the screen

Here's what's not done yet:
- Shooting
- The rest of the enemies
- Scoring
- Lives
- Bombs
- Titles
- Menus
- Sound
- Music

Performance is great so far. As a test I turned off collision detection and created 1000 blue diamonds. When running on the GP2X they all moved smoothly and scrolling was still smooth.

Will post updates in a separate thread soon.

motorollin said:
Well since my dream is also to have GridWars/Geometry Wars on the GP2X I decided to take the plunge and clone it. It's my first game project so any help with coding questions will be much appreciated.

Here is my current progress (IOW what's working)
- Player controls
- Scrolling
- Collision detection
- Blue diamond enemies - home in on the player
- Pink pinwheel enemies - bounce around the screen

Here's what's not done yet:
- Shooting
- The rest of the enemies
- Scoring
- Lives
- Bombs
- Titles
- Menus
- Sound
- Music

Performance is great so far. As a test I turned off collision detection and created 1000 blue diamonds. When running on the GP2X they all moved smoothly and scrolling was still smooth.

Will post updates in a separate thread soon.
awesome wow cool thanks

Back