How Is The Dpad On The Wiz?

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
I just did a search for "diagonal" and nothing came up about the dpad, just screen tearing, so here's a topic about it.

For those with beta Wiz's - how good/bad is the dpad?

How are the diagonals? Do you have to press extra hard for them, or are they smooth?

Basically - is this a dpad that DaveC would approve of? ;-)

Any impressions of the controls (the new version with 4 buttons) would be appreciated in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
I just tried the test app in the setting menu and found it very hard on my prototype with the pivotted D-pad to hit the diaganols without first hitting one of both of the adjacent edges.

That could however just be GPH's test app not working well (for a long time their touchscreen calibration app didn't work properly). I would test some proper games but I cannot do that at the moment as I have nothing on this SD.

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
They seem pretty good to me. I played some shooters without much problem and those demand good diagonal movement (I always resorted to using analog on my PSP-1000)

At the very least, I find the cramped, unergonomic form factor and cross shaped buttons more of a bother, although they're far from deal breakers.

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
How about in comparison to other handhelds? Especially those who already have a final production Wiz.

Is the Wiz dpad better/same/worse than:

- GBA Micro (supposed to have a great dpad, I don't own one)
- DS Lite (mushy and poor diagonals)
- PSP (horrible dpad IMO, but have the old 1000 model)
- Dingoo (people seem to like the dpad)

The buttons seem like they'd be OK. They sorta remind me of the Zodiac buttons (i.e. odd shaped) but I got totally used to them.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
The dingoo pad isn't brilliant, but what is very noticeable is the ergonomics of the Wiz are bad and the dingoo good - it makes a big difference.

migo

In what way are the ergonomics of the Wiz bad? (And the Dingoo good for that matter). Can you post some comparison pictures?