How Is The Dpad On The Wiz?

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
I just did a search for "diagonal" and nothing came up about the dpad, just screen tearing, so here's a topic about it.

For those with beta Wiz's - how good/bad is the dpad?

How are the diagonals? Do you have to press extra hard for them, or are they smooth?

Basically - is this a dpad that DaveC would approve of? ;-)

Any impressions of the controls (the new version with 4 buttons) would be appreciated in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried the test app in the setting menu and found it very hard on my prototype with the pivotted D-pad to hit the diaganols without first hitting one of both of the adjacent edges.

That could however just be GPH's test app not working well (for a long time their touchscreen calibration app didn't work properly). I would test some proper games but I cannot do that at the moment as I have nothing on this SD.

They seem pretty good to me. I played some shooters without much problem and those demand good diagonal movement (I always resorted to using analog on my PSP-1000)

At the very least, I find the cramped, unergonomic form factor and cross shaped buttons more of a bother, although they're far from deal breakers.

How about in comparison to other handhelds? Especially those who already have a final production Wiz.

Is the Wiz dpad better/same/worse than:

- GBA Micro (supposed to have a great dpad, I don't own one)
- DS Lite (mushy and poor diagonals)
- PSP (horrible dpad IMO, but have the old 1000 model)
- Dingoo (people seem to like the dpad)

The buttons seem like they'd be OK. They sorta remind me of the Zodiac buttons (i.e. odd shaped) but I got totally used to them.

The dingoo pad isn't brilliant, but what is very noticeable is the ergonomics of the Wiz are bad and the dingoo good - it makes a big difference.

In what way are the ergonomics of the Wiz bad? (And the Dingoo good for that matter). Can you post some comparison pictures?

Back