How to calculate a price for the Pyra

499€ + 19% = 593,81€

Well, somehow I knew, but

Girl-fan-reaction.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bang up for this, I'll start moving the funds I'll need over slowly to absorb the hit a bit.

I'll gladly pre-order this. I don't expect anywhere near the same delays on this as the previous one.

Oh, ED - You thinking about doing some special editions / early adopters version (either price premium or pre-order bonus?). I'd be game for picking one of these up. I'll just write a blank cheque ;)

Thanks for the explanations ED.

Do you consider doing a discount for people who are still waiting for a preordered Pandora and are willing to cancel to buy a Pyra instead ?

500 EUR is 687 USD, that's not HORRIBLE, but its less than a good laptop and somewhere in between a 16gb and 32gb iPad air with 3g. I really hope the plastics company does well on improving the ruggedness. Its a lot more than most pocket things because we pay subsidized prices for phones. Game things on the other hand is a hard sell, but being a mix of a game thing and a laptop, comparable price to a top end tablet... I can see it doing alright. It might not sell like hot cakes because of the niche rather than the price, but the niche rarely cares much about price to begin with. Bottom line, people will save and buy. 10,000 is a pretty good goal/estimate but it may surprise you and sell double that. Hope it hits a home run on real world battery life estimates and future proofing because at a steep price people are going to really value those two things in my opinion.

Reactions: szr
I think that if the price will be 500€ + 19%Vat i don't know if i will spend such amount of money on the Pyra.. :( maybe not

I think I won't be able to afford it, but maybe I can get one second hand, like I got my Pandora :) .

Great read ED, now I know what to put aside, and have confidence that it is a realistic guess at the final price.  Nice to have someone at the helm who knows how to really calculate the cost of doing business.  A great change from how the Pandora was launched.

Thanks for the highly informative post ED. A great example of openness!

And I was very pleased to read this...

And finally: The Pyra is the start.

I hope to be able to produce more devices in the future.

If the case is good, we don't need to redesign that, which saves a lot of money in the future.

And if we can create the module-based version (with CPU module), we can release updated models (or only CPU modules for existing customers) without having huge costs as well.

There was a time when good subnotebooks cost a hefty price, like 1500 euro or more. Pyra will be more than just a toy, well worth the money for me.

Thanks for all of the in-depth details, in this thread and others. Very informative, and probably more than anyone expected you to divulge.

The numbers seem reasonable and about what I expected, at least up until the distributor charge. 25% (minus a bit for shipping, although I expect you can get the prices per unit down pretty low once you start shipping 100 of them at once) seems high for online distributors. And if buyers won't pay anything extra to get it from a distributor instead of getting it from your shop, what's the point of having distributors at all? Especially when you give up 100 EUR per-unit when doing so.

I do wonder, since you said you'd match the distributor price at your shop, does this mean you will make distributors sign an agreement that they will only sell at your approved prices? If not, does that mean someone can get a distributor agreement and buy a hundred units from you then sell them on eBay for 449 EUR instead of 499? There'd be some people who would buy this units instead of the distributor ones, but they'd also sell out pretty quickly.

Although commonplace, it's strange to think that the distributors will be making more profit on each Pyra they sell , than ED will make selling to them. Even though ED had to do the hard lifting to develop and produce the Pyra , the distributors at the end get the lion share of the profit.

Back