Get ready to rumble!

I had a question (maybe this belongs somewhere else), are there any technical specs for the audio yet? I'm curious about the SNR, bit depth and input/output sample rates.

A little bird told me pulseaudio was running 88khz, 32-bit.  (and using a lot of CPU)

For this short Pre-Preorder run alone, KS would have billed about 3,5k€.  KS is great for projects without an existing comunity; the Pyra project obviously has a fanbase and an experienced team as well, so why outsourcing the billing to KS or some other platform?
And to be honest: "market the hell out of it" sounds a little dubious to me. We all know what happens when the marketing guys take over... :rolleyes:

True, I forgot about the KS tax. 

When I say "Market the hell out of it", I really mean to target Linux podcasts and the such.  Gamers are a great target too, but I really think the Linux admin crowd would fawn over stuff like this.  Now only if only we could make it completely FOSS.....

Provided the prototypes work, like the rebirths did 22ish december 2011, the first production models landed in customers hands 3 1/2 months later 6th of march 2012.

Keep in mind though that at that point the Pandora was already released hardware, all they had to do was make sure the production process was working.   This is a bit different because they also have to give the product a thorough shake down, and may need to further revise the hardware if something turns out to be broken.

-Neelix

So what is the voucher exactly?

In this case D.

Definition of VOUCHER1

:  an act of vouching

:  a piece of supporting evidence :  proof 

:  a documentary record of a business transaction 

:  a written affidavit or authorization :  certificate 

d :  a form or check indicating a credit against future purchases or expenditures

In this case D.

Definition of VOUCHER1

d :  a form or check indicating a credit against future purchases or expenditures
So, then, it is just throwing in about half the cost to ensure you get one? No risks or anything?

Doesn't matter anyway, as they are all sold x(

Last edited by a moderator:

In this case D.

Definition of VOUCHER1

a :  a piece of supporting evidence :  proof 

b :  a documentary record of a business transaction 

c :  a written affidavit or authorization :  certificate 

So, then, it is just throwing in about half the cost to ensure you get one? No risks or anything?
There is always risks, right now the device is still in a pre-prototype state, so there still might be a major gotcha in the future. It should be safe, EvilDragon has a good handle on things, but many of us remember horrors of the Pandora pre-order so it's good to be cautious like the first post states. 

In this case D.

Definition of VOUCHER1

There is always risks, right now the device is still in a pre-prototype state, so there still might be a major gotcha in the future. It should be safe, EvilDragon has a good handle on things, but many of us remember horrors of the Pandora pre-order so it's good to be cautious like the first post states. 
I've got until February until I get a refund check form Financial Aid, so I'll know if anything comes up before buying one.

Bah! I'll have to wait till round 2... fight!!!

I'll be joining you, with my ICP2 voucher in hand, can't wait.

Congrats to everyone involved! To the team for having a FULL sale out within a few days, and to the community who got in on the first 200+ units, the Pyra is going to ROCK!

Chris

Thankfully I was able to get in on the Pre-Preorders around the middle of the first day.   :)   I should be in the late 120's to early 130's or so.  Although I'm okay with it either way, as in the end it's helping further the development/etc. of the Pyra.  Anyway hopefully everything will go smoothly and without problems.  I would also like to congratulate the Pyra Team and everyone involved as well as to those that ordered the prototypes and the vouchers.  Thank you and have a good day!   :)

Bah! I'll have to wait till round 2... fight!!!

I'll be joining you, with my ICP2 voucher in hand, can't wait.

Congrats to everyone involved! To the team for having a FULL sale out within a few days, and to the community who got in on the first 200+ units, the Pyra is going to ROCK!

Chris
Yup. It's gonna be fun. It was quite cool the first time I unboxed my Pandora. All 200 sold out in a short time, I thought as much. The Pyra may be more successful than the pandora ever was.

The Pyra may be more successful than the pandora ever was.

I don't want to jinx the project, but just these preliminary Pyra efforts are better than almost the Pandora's whole life(at least until ED took over). As long as the Pyra doesn't run in to any serious defects or production issues down the road, I would guarantee the first 6-12 months alone should eclipse the Pandora.

Chris

The Pyra may be more successful than the pandora ever was.

I don't want to jinx the project, but just these preliminary Pyra efforts are better than almost the Pandora's whole life(at least until ED took over). As long as the Pyra doesn't run in to any serious defects or production issues down the road, I would guarantee the first 6-12 months alone should eclipse the Pandora.

Chris
I think so too - the investment spent on better design and thinking everything through should pay off in terms of user acceptance in the end - and hopefully financially as well for ED so that we can see more developments in the future too. 

I got in on the Pandora and had one of the first shipped out. Broke the screen, sold it for cheap to a board member, don't remember who. Got another on ebay with a broken shoulder button (easy fix), and have cherished it since. Couldn't resist spending my PayPal balance (plus a little more) getting in on the Pyra. AND, I am unemployed. (Just got an offer and accepted, so all is well, but ED has handled this so well I know it will work out) I only really lurk, but all the news on the Pyra lately has me so freaking excited!!

I had a feeling these would sell out quick. The Pandora was/is awesome, the Pyra will be insane! Congrats ED!

but all the news on the Pyra lately has me so freaking excited!!

That's how I was for the Pandora, super excited all the time. Those where the longest months and years of my life, especially with the piss poor production issues. Molds, Broken Nubs, Volcanoes, what the fuck didn't go wrong back then? That would be easier to list than all the issues that did happen.

I have refused to let myself get that excited for the Pyra, as I just don't want to be disappointed, as I was during Pandora production. For every two steps forward that the team took back then, they had like 5 steps back, it was just crazy.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back