How to calculate a price for the Pyra

Not sure how early I could swing 700 dollars, but would be sometime during the year it releases.
If you are in the US then be glad that you can avoid the European VAT.At 19% from purchases in Germany it will cost us the equivalent of 820 US Dollars.

Currently the Dutch VAT is set at a whopping 21% :(

Won't stop me from buying a Pyra on day one though.

How does that work for import duties? Say you purchased one from link in the US? Would that be cheaper if he offered international shipping?

Generally in the EU, you need to pay VAT on anything over ~$30 incl. shipping. Depends on if they catch it or not. Sometimes it slips through, sometimes it doesn't.

God, that really sucks. We only get hit with somewhere between 5-10% depending on where you live. Most of the time it only applies to brick and mortar shops too. You basically get most things on the internet and international tax free. Well I guess if it was thousands then maybe?? But I doubt it. Do you guys pay income and property tax as well? Social security? Anything like that based off your income?

If you live in the US and order something I believe you're still expected to pay taxes on it, it's just not automatically deducted. Maybe, I could be completely wrong about that.

I know that here in Canada when you order something internationally (ie, from the US) you're expected to pay duty on it. UPS will automatically calculate the duty for you (frequently incorrectly, erring on the side of too much), and then tack on an extra $50 for the trouble. Since Link started shipping USPS I'm much happier, it's easy to fill out the forms and pay the duty myself, doesn't require no $50 (and maybe I forget on the little things sometimes, but oops... you didn't hear that)

nope, been buying things online for well over a decade, not paid a single dime on taxes except for the recent changes to amazon forcing taxes. I've ordered stuff the UK (iCP) and a pandora and paid a $20 total for shipping both times and it was 3 day through UPS, I believe most if not all of that went to the actual shipping the item here as the price is comparable to shipping something 3 day UPS to someone that lives down the block from me.

That may be a flaw in the system, or just not holding people accountable for that kinda thing. It may even be considered tax evasion. But I haven't heard of anyone I know being hit up with any kinda notice either. Completely tax free internet purchases as strange as that may sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, been buying things online for well over a decade, not paid a single dime on taxes
Just because you don't doesn't mean you aren't supposed to. :p
International UPS shipping to the US must be a lot nicer than to Canada from the US. You'd know if they charged duty on your behalf, they send you a bill and keep your item until you pay it.

nope, been buying things online for well over a decade, not paid a single dime on taxes except for the recent changes to amazon forcing taxes. I've ordered stuff the UK (iCP) and a pandora and paid a $20 total for shipping both times and it was 3 day through UPS, I believe most if not all of that went to the actual shipping the item here as the price is comparable to shipping something 3 day UPS to someone that lives down the block from me.

That may be a flaw in the system, or just not holding people accountable for that kinda thing. It may even be considered tax evasion. But I haven't heard of anyone I know being hit up with any kinda notice either. Completely tax free internet purchases as strange as that may sound.
Sales tax varies by state or even location within the state, and some states have no sales tax, so they can't take it automatically very easily. But unless you live in one of those sales tax-free states your state tax forms probably ask you to list online purchases. Not that people tend to do it...

What about european countries not in the EU (ex Switzerland, Norway etc..)?

What about european countries not in the EU (ex Switzerland, Norway etc..)?
Switzerland: You don't pay the German one of course, but we more or less pay (<price including shipping>*108%+<15 to 20CHF>)*103% if I remember the last expensive parcel right.

In all seriousness, based on ED's first post and Exophase's additions, the tightest ballpark is probably centred around $700 shipped, but that is based on a lot of supposition. Only EvilDragon will know the final price and that won't be until it's almost time for production.

Also, the final price in USD will to a significant extent depend on the exchange rate between EUR and USD whenever the Pyra is released. Many of parts will be paid in USD, but parts are only half of what determines the price, and most of the other costs will be in EUR. So I guess if you are using dollars, you should hope for the euro to become weaker compared to the dollar in the next period of time, but preferably that happens only after ED has purchased the parts ;)

In all seriousness, based on ED's first post and Exophase's additions, the tightest ballpark is probably centred around $700 shipped, but that is based on a lot of supposition. Only EvilDragon will know the final price and that won't be until it's almost time for production.
Yeah, I can see that as the price. :/ Still better than these high end phones, features vs price.

This is News to me...but any of it is new to me.  Shortly after I disappeared from the boards, I had a stroke.  I've had several episodes since, but I dropped off of the internet for awhile. I used to be such a fun-loving guy and then I was stricken down.....in the prime of my own fatness.  I'm not even fat, that's the wurst thang.

Anyway, I hope that you all are well.  I feel bad that I didn't try to blather on......but remember that the PANDORA is the real deal.

Back