How to calculate a price for the Pyra

I'm only likely to buy a backup unit upfront if the price on the second is actually lower, not in order to get add-ons... so in my case, revenue will de facto decrease with your approach since I would just end up buying one.

I'd almost be glad to forego the battery on the backup unit, except that since it's not a standard battery available locally, I'd want a backup battery too. :p

... unless the Pyra can remain working without a battery if it has USB power? I suppose then I could just use my external battery-pack as the backup battery.

also combined shipping should be a given. considering how much people would pay, larger distributors would most likely offer free shipping! so that's not a significant discount at all in my opinion.

I agree 100% - offering combined shipment is no discount at all. I don't really care about a discount or gifts though. The only reason for me to conciser buying a Pyra is to support the project and - if it is needed - I am willing to give an interest free loan on top of that.
Here is a very interesting post on the maemo forum http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1502247&postcount=2802 . Someone is making a huge donation just to make sure the Neo900 project will happen. There is no ROI, so basically the same I proposed - only the amount is a lot larger. I am not able / willing to make such a huge donation (I was thinking about one or two Pyra's)
The incentive is the same though - buy a Pyra, buy more or donate money just to be sure the product gets made.

Last edited:
I'm only likely to buy a backup unit upfront if the price on the second is actually lower, not in order to get add-ons... so in my case, revenue will de facto decrease with your approach since I would just end up buying one.

I'd almost be glad to forego the battery on the backup unit, except that since it's not a standard battery available locally, I'd want a backup battery too. :p

... unless the Pyra can remain working without a battery if it has USB power? I suppose then I could just use my external battery-pack as the backup battery.

My understanding is that it can boot without a battery in, but I'm not sure it can transition from battery power to USB power via battery charging or not.

But either way I'd still not recommend an extra battery; for one the battery should last long enough for you to get back to a power point in most normal situations, and in abnormal situations you can use a commodity USB battery pack to charge the internal battery.

But either way I'd still not recommend an extra battery; for one the battery should last long enough for you to get back to a power point in most normal situations, and in abnormal situations you can use a commodity USB battery pack to charge the internal battery.

I agree. I bought a spare battery for my Pandora but have never had to call upon it. I do swap them around every so often.

My concern for an extra battery is when the original fails completely. So it would probably be several years before I need it.

In which case, surely it's better to buy it once you need it? Otherwise it's likely to have been sitting unused for a number of years in a drawer. In the mean time you can still run your Pyra off an external battery pack if you need to.

if I could afford it, I'd buy two to support the cause. I'd love to have two units. Oh well... a bonus sd card with a 2 hour video of evil dragon improvising metal riffs would be awesome though. ED do you play an instrument?

someone should make a game out of that.

Well there's likely to sadly be one more pre-order from me.

Sadly because I'm suddenly in the market for a Pyra after losing my first batch Pandora :( But hey if I'm replacing it I might as well replace it with a new model :)

On a related note if anyone in the Lancashire area gets offered a battered, held together with duck tape first batch Pandora with a dodgy green screen (didn't get around to fitting that replacement cable) then let me know :)

On a related note if anyone in the Lancashire area gets offered a battered, held together with duck tape first batch Pandora with a dodgy green screen (didn't get around to fitting that replacement cable) then let me know :)

You know we can fully fix it and make it look like a brand new one? :)

I think I will etch my name into my Pandora, and my Pyra when I get it. If the community remains small it should be easy to find out where it ends up if mine gets stolen.

Yes, I know there is an "easy fix" to that, but it is better than nothing.

I think I will etch my name into my Pandora, and my Pyra when I get it. If the community remains small it should be easy to find out where it ends up if mine gets stolen.

Yes, I know there is an "easy fix" to that, but it is better than nothing.
Doesn't every Pandora have a unit number inside the battery compartment anyway?
Just take a picture and if it gets stolen, report it to ED so he may stumble upon it while doing repairs.
@carlberry do you know the ID of your Pandora?

Not a clue, to be fair it wasn't stolen I lost it, must have fallen out of my coat pocket, it just hasn't been handed in anywhere.

As for making it look like new, well then it wouldn't have been my Pandora ;)

Seriously though I'm missing the thing, used it every day.

Doesn't every Pandora have a unit number inside the battery compartment anyway?
Just take a picture and if it gets stolen, report it to ED so he may stumble upon it while doing repairs.
I feel that an etched name is more of a deterrent if it is in a place where it can be clearly seen. Pulling off a sticker isn't that difficult. As with carlberry's story, an etched name also helps anyone that might want to return a lost item to the owner.

Hello, sorry for offtopic.
Is there an estimated time of availability?

Back