Humble Indie Bundle #4 is out today!

MkidTrigun

Still Fresh
Today's the big day for Wolfire Games, Humble Indie Bundle #4 makes its debut at www.humblebundle.com, and the game quality this time around is spectacular!

The first 5 games up for grabs include Shank, Super Meat Boy, NightSky (in both SD and HD formats), Jamestown and Bit.Trip Runner!

Beat the average to unlock the additional two games - Gratuitous Space Battles and Cave Story+!

All of the games are available on Windows, Mac AND Linux, and as always you can help out charity by purchasing these games!

I've already gotten two copies - one for myself and another as an add-on for my Secret Santa later this year. 'Tis the season, after all!

There's a Cave Story+? CAVE STORY+++++++++++?!?!?!

Indeed, this is the version that came out on Steam about 2 weeks ago that has the additional features that the Wii version had as well as both Wind Fortress and Nemesis Challenge, two additional side-missions that you can play after beating the game with the best ending.

The only real downside of CS+ (if any) is the retranslation of the script (Oh yeah! instead of Huzzah! for Balrog...), but if you look out there, there are easy enough mods to replace it with the original translation!

Looks like an awesome bundle.

Super Meat Boy and Cave Story+ alone would already sell it to me.

There's a Cave Story+? CAVE STORY+++++++++++?!?!?!

Indeed, this is the version that came out on Steam about 2 weeks ago that has the additional features that the Wii version had as well as both Wind Fortress and Nemesis Challenge, two additional side-missions that you can play after beating the game with the best ending.

The only real downside of CS+ (if any) is the retranslation of the script (Oh yeah! instead of Huzzah! for Balrog...), but if you look out there, there are easy enough mods to replace it with the original translation!
I did not know that. I knew there was a WiiWare version with a couple new features (boss rush mode looks fun, but I doubt I'll get a Wii for it), but the same developer put it up on Steam, and also now in the Bundle.

I would give a kidney to see this on the Pandora. Plus it's looks like it's just SDL....

This is the first time the game selection has tempted me (as with Caine, it's Super Meat Boy and Cave Story+ that get my attention in particular), but I'll be moving away from x86 (I'll be using a Raspberry Pi instead) sometime in the New Year, so I won't be able to play them unless they end up open-sourced - which, for some of them at least, I'm guessing isn't likely. So, unfortunately, I'll have to give this a miss. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time the game selection has tempted me (as with Caine, it's Super Meat Boy and Cave Story+ that get my attention in particular), but I'll be moving away from x86 (I'll be using a Raspberry Pi instead) sometime in the New Year, so I won't be able to play them unless they end up open-sourced - which, for some of them at least, I'm guessing isn't likely. So, unfortunately, I'll have to give this a miss. :(
There's always hope, VVVVVV is closed yet on the Pandora (thank you Pickle).

Also, completely off topic, you're going to be using a Raspberry Pi as your primary computer?

Yeah, but I've been blathering about that in the Raspberry Pi thread in Other Consoles. ;)

Anyway, that is true... I wonder about the feasibility of running Pandora stuff on there outright. It probably won't work, though, will it?

Yeah, but I've been blathering about that in the Raspberry Pi thread in Other Consoles. ;)
Looking forward to a review of the device, especially interested to hear how suitable it is for main-computer usage.

That said, just tried CaveStory+ and I'm not taking any damage. Anyone else having the same problem?

Looking forward to a review of the device, especially interested to hear how suitable it is for main-computer usage.

That said, just tried CaveStory+ and I'm not taking any damage. Anyone else having the same problem?
Are you using the Linux build? According to my sources, the Linux build may not be complete quite yet. Though I didn't take any damage on the Windows build, I didn't run into any baddies, ha. Plus I'm currently at work, I'll pretty much play as much as I can tonight.

Hmm, 'tis odd. What OS are you playing it on?

Never mind, seems Mr. Rob is on top of it!

Are you using the Linux build? According to my sources, the Linux build may not be complete quite yet. Though I didn't take any damage on the Windows build, I didn't run into any baddies, ha. Plus I'm currently at work, I'll pretty much play as much as I can tonight.
Yes, I am. The spikes in the second room are supposed to kill you (which they don't, at least not for me). Seems like a bit of a hasty release. Plenty of other games to play for now...

Yeah, this here pretty much says it all: http://humble.assist...wn-linux-issues

But it looks like they'll fix it, which is nice.
Indeed. Thanks for the link.

Overall a bit sloppy on the Linux release this time. Cave Story not working properly, non-statically linked dependencies which are missing/outdated on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS <_< .
Awe, well that's a shame. Luckily I dual boot for this very reason....

The Windows build was actually missing SDL.dll, too, which is odd. They may have rushed it out at the last minute....

Super Meat Boy and Shanks are great fun. Good games. I'm still undecided on NightSky. Perhaps it gets better once the challenges are more interesting.

Gratuitous Space Battles reminds me of the combat and design stages of the Master of Orion series. But, the game focuses on deployment and tactics configuration instead of active battle control (comparable to tower defense games). Unfortunately, not my cup of tea.

I already knew that Cave Story is awesome and the updated version looks nice. Hope it will get fixed soon as my next Cave Story play-through is long overdue.

Haven't resolved the dependencies of the other two yet.

The Windows build was actually missing SDL.dll, too, which is odd. They may have rushed it out at the last minute....
Cave Story+ is by Nicalis, right?

No disrespect to them, but that seems pretty normal for them - after many delays, they managed to release the North American WiiWare version of Cave Story with some rather large bugs, which didn't get resolved for the better part of a year afterwards. The PAL release of the same was delayed by about a year, and still shipped with bugs (at the very least, the one where the bottom of the display is cut off, meaning that you can only see the white thing at the bottom of the Egg Corridor, for example, but not the floor), which to my knowledge still haven't been fixed. I wouldn't be entirely sure that the issues here are due to a rushed release. :p

Cave Story+ is by Nicalis, right?

No disrespect to them, but that seems pretty normal for them - after many delays, they managed to release the North American WiiWare version of Cave Story with some rather large bugs, which didn't get resolved for the better part of a year afterwards.

<cut>
Yes, it is by Nicalis. Sounds like they are a good match for Bethesda :p

Didn't know it was that bad :(

In fairness to them, the PAL version's bugs were much more minor, so I've no doubt that they've improved since their difficulties back then.

I just wanted to say that I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't due to rushing, going on their past issues. :lol:

Ha, maybe Cave Story+ for the Pandora is a dream then?

I've played up to the Grasslands on Windows, and haven't had any problems. Had to download SDL and the C++ 2010 Windows Runtime, but that's not the end of the world. In retrospect, maybe they shipped without those intentionally.

But still, good ol' Cave Story fun.

Back