I Love The Idea Of The Gp2x..... But

rei_yano

Still Fresh
my heart would be warm with glee if the gp2x could just emulate snes and gba fully. That is what is keeping me back from buying this. I love the idea of double A recharg batteries and I LOVE the sd slot. its wonderful. I lurk these forums and many other forums for months now and I have extra cash on me. I just dont know what to do here... maybe I should throw it in the bank and just wait for some incredible news. maybe a year from now? hopefully... makes me wish I could code LOL. anyways this is more of an introduction. I have been lurking here for god knows how long. just letting you guys know I love the forums and the site. This is the system of my dreams here but it just doesnt reach far enough for me. Im gonna have to wait. keep me updated guys. ^_^ Long Live GP2X!

Rei Yano

You can be pretty safe assuming that snes will be supported fully soon. The only things that may not be fully supportable are games with special chips like mario rpg and starfox for example. GBA is very possible but I wouldn`t think it will happen any time soon. It would take a lot of optimization before that happens. There is this one guy trying to code an emulator with an alternative approach though. I wonder how far he got by now?

I think some people are overly harsh about the Snes emulation. Squidge has done a great job and the majority of games are totally playable. Even those like F-Zero and Mario Kart with their fancy Mode7 tricks.

As for GBA emulation.. yeah nothing much to say about that.

reiboul posted on Sep 3 2006 at 01:55 PM said:
SNES is runs pretty nice with some overclocking!
Well, some games, but the OSNES9X on the PSP is still way better. I never play SNES on my GP2X, most games are not enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
subcon959 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 01:59 PM said:
I think some people are overly harsh about the Snes emulation. Squidge has done a great job and the majority of games are totally playable. Even those like F-Zero and Mario Kart with their fancy Mode7 tricks.

As for GBA emulation.. yeah nothing much to say about that.

hmm so snes emulation is decent? I heard it was pretty bad. I saw soem videos and it seemed like the frameskip was pretty bad. it was either that or the camera he was using sucked balls. another thing is the controls. everybody says the same thing "takes getting used to" why is this? is it becuase they didnt choose for a traditional D pad? or is it the buttons on the right too?

can I ask for a general opinion from you guys? will this thing ever fully emulate gba? I know its really impossible to answer but just opinion wise. makes me feel warmer to buying it I guess. I have a gba of my own and its my favorite console. I have the sp version and have been a fan of gba for a while now. I guess I dont want to have 2 handhelds. I want just one dedicated system.

another thing is psx emulation. looking really good so far. suprising as hell really. wonder if itll ever be full speed though. not as important to me but hell if they ever fully emulated psx Id snatch one up without thinking about it. ok Ill stop rambling =P thanks guys.

Fishbong posted on Sep 3 2006 at 03:22 PM said:
Well, some games, but the OSNES9X on the PSP is still way better. I never play SNES on my GP2X, most games are not enjoyable.

eek. see? that makes me not want to buy one now.

The controls take a little getting used to because many users will try to use it as a Dpad rather then a Joystick.

Full speed GBA is possible, just hasn't been done yet.

Everything(except n64, dreamcast, etc)can be full speed if it is written in assembly, but that takes time and a lot of donations to devs. Maybe some crazy dude will come around and decide to do that with a snes emu. As for gba, that is currently being worked on as a static translator. :)

OMars posted on Sep 3 2006 at 03:36 PM said:
Everything(except n64, dreamcast, etc)can be full speed if it is written in assembly, but that takes time and a lot of donations to devs. Maybe some crazy dude will come around and decide to do that with a snes emu. As for gba, that is currently being worked on as a static translator. :)

whats static translater mean?

SNES emulation difficulties are overblown. I rarely have trouble running SNES games; the more demanding games can take a framerate hit but the majority I try run at or near 60 FPS. As it stands the issue with SNES emulation is the graphics code isn't very fast; were someone to rewrite it as ARM9 ASM we'd be all set there. GBA Emulation at full speed is perfectly doable on the GP2X, it's just a complex emulator to develop so it will take some time.

Static translation is converting GBA program code to ARM9 program code that runs natively on the GP2X's main CPU. They are both based on the same architecture, which makes this possible. Full-speed GBA emulation probably never works on the PSP.

Fishbong posted on Sep 3 2006 at 05:22 PM said:

All I saw about PSP's snes emulator, is Chrono Trigger playing very slow, while an overclocked GP2X runs it quite nice
On the other hand, PSP played FF6 good, whereas GP2X can't :ph34r:

Anyway, I think SNES is already very playable : 4 buttons, 2 triggers, start/select, only the analog stick might be annoying (I find it is not a problem...)
graphics and compatibility is good, excet lack of transparency, and most games plays at good speed (with overclocking)
save states, screen stretch, autoframeskip, in-game save (but save states are safer :unsure: )

BTW, rumors spreads that Squidge is working on a new SNES emulator B)

sweeeet. thats good to know though. that the gba hardware and the gp2x hardware share some things. makes me hopeful. by the way how the hell does one play the psx on the gp2x if there are only 2 shoulder buttons? just wondering =P

Epicenter posted on Sep 3 2006 at 05:51 PM said:
SNES emulation difficulties are overblown. I rarely have trouble running SNES games; the more demanding games can take a framerate hit but the majority I try run at or near 60 FPS. As it stands the issue with SNES emulation is the graphics code isn't very fast; were someone to rewrite it as ARM9 ASM we'd be all set there.

Agree!! Most of what I do with my GP2X is playing SNES and NeoGeo games ;) and the only game i found very slow is FF6 (except some games known to be slow or not work, such as StarFox or Mario Kart)

Transparency isn't such a problem : you won't even notice there isn't transparency ;) and if you have problems, just disable the layer supposed to be transparent
for exemple, in FF4, I was in a cavern, and some transparent layer was meant to be fog, and of course it was not transparent, so all I saw was white screen... I disablec this layer, and continued playing :ph34r:
But some games might have more problems, such as Zelda : at the beginning, there is night, and rain, and you don't see any of those... like a sunny afternoon, instead of a rainy night ;)

Those are the problems you may experience, but they are few

I found video of Harvest moon on YouTube, running quite slow, but it runs near fullspeed for me (270mhz, ok, but looks good ;) )

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 06:00 PM said:

sweeeet. thats good to know though. that the gba hardware and the gp2x hardware share some things. makes me hopeful. by the way how the hell does one play the psx on the gp2x if there are only 2 shoulder buttons? just wondering =P

as there is no sound, Vol+ and Vol- are doing the trick :ph34r:

Agree!! Most of what I do with my GP2X is playing SNES and NeoGeo games ;) and the only game i found very slow is FF6 (except some games known to be slow or not work, such as StarFox or Mario Kart)

Transparency isn't such a problem : you won't even notice there isn't transparency ;) and if you have problems, just disable the layer supposed to be transparent
in exemple, in FF4, I was in a cavern, and some transparent layer was meant to be fog, and of course it was not transparent, so all I saw was white screen... I disablec this layer, and continued playing :ph34r:
But some games might have more problems, such as Zelda : at the beginning, there is night, and rain, and you don't see any of those... like a sunny afternoon, instead of a rainy night ;)

Those are the problems you may experience...

I found video of Harvest moon on YouTube, running quite slow, but it runs near fullspeed for me (270mhz, ok, but looks good ;) )

FF6 is my favorite game of all time lol but thats fine. I can wait for that one. how is chrono trigger running on it? anybody ever tried super metroid on it?

lol didnt know there was no sound. if there was sound it probably would barely run at all. maybe in a couple of years.

everything is sounding promising but I think I still might wait. plus while I wait I can save my money to buy accesories, bigger sd cards, and a good amount of high capacity batteries (2900mah! =P). thanks for the help!

JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
You see what I'm saying? The emulator nuts...

what else is there for this other than emulators? is the homebrew collection all that large or enjoyable? not to offend cuase Ive never even played any of them. unless you mean using the gp2x for music or video... in which case I dont care much for those options.

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
You see what I'm saying? The emulator nuts...

what else is there for this other than emulators? is the homebrew available all that large or enjoyable? not to offend cuase Ive never even played any of them. unless you mean using the gp2x for music or video... in which case I dont care much for those options.
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Games

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:14 PM said:

in exemple, in FF4, I was in a cavern, and some transparent layer was meant to be fog, and of course it was not transparent, so all I saw was white screen... I disablec this layer, and continued playing :ph34r:

Those are the problems you may experience...

FF6 is my favorite game of all time lol but thats fine. I can wait for that one. how is chrono trigger running on it? anybody ever tried super metroid on it?

lol didnt know there was no sound. if there was sound it probably would barely run at all. maybe in a couple of years.

everything is sounding promising but I think I still might wait. plus while I wait I can save my money to buy accesories, bigger sd cards, and a good amount of high capacity batteries (2900mah! =P). thanks for the help!

Lol, I've been staying up for the past two nights to around 1oclock playing super metroid on the gp2x. It's great, but sometimes you have to turn off layer 3 to get around the black transparencies.

Lol, I've been staying up for the past two nights to around 1oclock playing super metroid on the gp2x. It's great, but sometimes you have to turn off layer 3 to get around the black transparencies.

awesome B)

I've been playing Super Metroid a lot too, it's loads of fun. I generally get around 23fps which isn't too bad.

Edit: Oops I meant to say I get no lower than 23fps.

Back