I Love The Idea Of The Gp2x..... But

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 06:14 PM said:
FF6 is my favorite game of all time lol but thats fine. I can wait for that one. how is chrono trigger running on it? anybody ever tried super metroid on it?

You can play FF6 if you like it so ;) but it's a bit slow... Chrono Trigger is fully playable (about speed, i didn't finish the game just to check for bugs ;) )

I'm testing supermetroid, for now it works perfect, but I will tell you more when this f**** intro will be over!!!! :lol:

*edit* ay gringo... too slow :)

*re-edit* I run 50fps in normal game/videos, about 35 during first boss, and noticed a 25fps fall for less than a second during the escape, but this is not helpful : the most important is, it runs at a very playable framerate for me, and I wouldn't have noticed slowdowns if I had deactivated the FPS counter...

(overclocked @270Mhz, i'm sure you can play good with less power)

Last edited by a moderator:
i have about 10fps in Narsche in FF6, about 20/30 in combat, 270mhz
slow, but playable, as a RPG don't need to be 100% fullspeed ;)

You must be doing something wrong.
FF6 runs fine for me with the latest SquidgeSNES, the correct settings and overclocked to 266 MHz.
Played it until I was in the cave, without any slowdowns.

EvilDragon posted on Sep 3 2006 at 09:43 PM said:
FF6 runs fine for me with the latest SquidgeSNES, the correct settings and overclocked to 266 MHz.

:eek: weird
i'm using a hacked rom (french translation) maybe I should try with an original one

EvilDragon posted on Sep 3 2006 at 09:43 PM said:

err... the american rom isnt faster... I'm using the latest SquidgeSNES (0.37c, right?) at 270mhz... what do you mean with "correct settings"? :unsure:

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 04:00 PM said:
BTW, rumors spreads that Squidge is working on a new SNES emulator B)

sweeeet. thats good to know though. that the gba hardware and the gp2x hardware share some things. makes me hopeful. by the way how the hell does one play the psx on the gp2x if there are only 2 shoulder buttons? just wondering =P

It depends on how finicky you are really as to how good SNES is. To me it is unplayable because the sound is pretty bad. It stutters, crackles and pops and is generally poor. The framerate is poor with high frameskip as well unless you can overclock to 300 MHz but then you get bad battery life and many of us can't overclock past 240 MHz. It doesn't do transparencies either. Al of these things combined makes SNES pretty unenjoyable to me but some don't seem to mind all of the flaws. I don't know about you.

It is probably theoretically possible to get near perfect SNES but some coder would have to give up a few months of his life to get it up to snuff. Everything would have to be written in ARM ASM and optimised like mad because of all of the fancy rendering effects. Who knows if that will ever happen. Can you settle for Genesis/megadrive? That is near perfect, or close enough to it.

As for PSX it will never be full speed with sound. The lack of a 3D GPU means it will be too much for a single 200 MHz CPU to emulate that plus a 33 MHz MIPs. The result is very low framerates without sound.

The GP2X is great for all of the other systems and is still worth the price. I would still buy it even without SNES or PSX.

It depends on how finicky you are really as to how good SNES is. To me it is unplayable because the sound is pretty bad. It stutters, crackles and pops and is generally poor. The framerate is poor with high frameskip as well unless you can overclock to 300 MHz but then you get bad battery life and many of us can't overclock past 240 MHz. It doesn't do transparencies either. Al of these things combined makes SNES pretty unenjoyable to me but some don't seem to mind all of the flaws. I don't know about you.

It is probably theoretically possible to get near perfect SNES but some coder would have to give up a few months of his life to get it up to snuff. Everything would have to be written in ARM ASM and optimised like mad because of all of the fancy rendering effects. Who knows if that will ever happen. Can you settle for Genesis/megadrive? That is near perfect, or close enough to it.

As for PSX it will never be full speed with sound. The lack of a 3D GPU means it will be too much for a single 200 MHz CPU to emulate that plus a 33 MHz MIPs. The result is very low framerates without sound.

The GP2X is great for all of the other systems and is still worth the price. I would still buy it even without SNES or PSX.

snes is an absolute must for me. and I am really wanting gba support. I wish I could code man. I would so do it myself. I like sega and such but I didnt grow up with it and so it doesnt really give me the same spark if you know what I mean. I think Im really just gonna have to wait. let my cash sit in the bank until I get something with full snes and gba support. maybe a year. maybe two. I can wait. thanx guys you saved me a good amount of money. last thing I would want is to be dissapointed by the gp2x. its just such a good idea. gamepark holdings really has the right idea here. cant wait for the day I get my hands on a gamepark holdings product. back to lurking these forums for the next year :ph34r:

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 05:56 PM said:
snes is an absolute must for me. and I am really wanting gba support. I wish I could code man. I would so do it myself. I like sega and such but I didnt grow up with it and so it doesnt really give me the same spark if you know what I mean. I think Im really just gonna have to wait. let my cash sit in the bank until I get something with full snes and gba support. maybe a year. maybe two. I can wait. thanx guys you saved me a good amount of money. last thing I would want is to be dissapointed by the gp2x. its just such a good idea. gamepark holdings really has the right idea here. cant wait for the day I get my hands opn a gamepark holdings product. back to lurking these forums for the next year :ph34r:

Ignore DaveC at all costs...

Damit =/

Shikaku posted on Sep 3 2006 at 09:58 PM said:
Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 05:56 PM said:
snes is an absolute must for me. and I am really wanting gba support. I wish I could code man. I would so do it myself. I like sega and such but I didnt grow up with it and so it doesnt really give me the same spark if you know what I mean. I think Im really just gonna have to wait. let my cash sit in the bank until I get something with full snes and gba support. maybe a year. maybe two. I can wait. thanx guys you saved me a good amount of money. last thing I would want is to be dissapointed by the gp2x. its just such a good idea. gamepark holdings really has the right idea here. cant wait for the day I get my hands opn a gamepark holdings product. back to lurking these forums for the next year :ph34r:

Ignore DaveC at all costs...

Damit =/

Yeah ignore the facts so that you can trick someone into buying something that they will be dissapointed with. Just get him to buy one at all costs even though the main app that he is buying it for is one of the poorest running emulators on the system. I know If I bought this for SNES I would be dissappointed to the point of returning it.

Stop being such a total fanboi. I am a fanboi but there are limits jeez ;)

There shouldn't be this much variation when we're all using the same device and software.. someone is obviously talking bollocks here..

I just dont want to be dissapointed. Thats a bit of cash to throw down. Im a GPH fanboi without even owning one yet lol. I read news about gp2x I read forums about it. it excites me and I really love gp2x for doing this. however the deal breaker here is snes and a really good possibility of gba emulation and I mean like something I can for sure look forward to. maybe the xgp will deliver? not really interested in it as much as I am the gp2x though. oh well. thanx again guys.

I don't think you should get a GP2X. You can get a SNES and a GBA for less money. GP2X is for someone that wants to try new things...

JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 10:25 PM said:
I don't think you should get a GP2X. You can get a SNES and a GBA for less money. GP2X is for someone that wants to try new things...
I do want to try new things. I would buy vektor and play homebrew and use all kinds of great software available like qtopia but an snes and gba emu would make me very happy. I have a gba sp and I play snes on my pc. I just want an all in one portable solution. Im into new stuff but I dont want to carry around my gbasp and my gamepark. its not exactly comfortable carrying all kinds of gadgets.

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 10:13 PM said:
I just dont want to be dissapointed. Thats a bit of cash to throw down. Im a GPH fanboi without even owning one yet lol. I read news about gp2x I read forums about it. it excites me and I really love gp2x for doing this. however the deal breaker here is snes and a really good possibility of gba emulation and I mean like something I can for sure look forward to. maybe the xgp will deliver? not really interested in it as much as I am the gp2x though. oh well. thanx again guys.

There are so many other emus out there that still make it worth it. I would LOVE a good SNES emu too but all of the other stuff makes up for not having it. Maybe you wouldn't mind a little dodgy sound and a few missing transparencies, obviously it doesn't bother others here. The XGP really isn't a good emu system. Its analog controller and odd screen resolution and aspect ratio screen make it a better chioce for 3D games and movies.

yeah thats true. all I can really think of is neo geo, nes, gb and gbc, sega systems (they run fine right?) and some other ancient systems. is it hard to learn how to code? :rolleyes:

the gp2x makes me want to learn. if I had the skill Id be up for days at a time trying to get snes and gba support. probably really hard work though. *sigh*

Im still thinking about it. the mame support sounds nice. Im even thinking about just buying it to support gamepark holdings in hopes of a superior system. maybe Ill do that. buy the system and all the official accesories plus any commercial games. just to support GPH. pretty fanboi-ish but hey if they get the support they need then we get to have abetter system one day! Im gonna buy it I think. Ill cross my fingers for snes and gba. gamepark needs my cash. still I need to save a little more than what I got. I also want a 4gb sd card and at least 8 2900mah recharg batteries and a good recharger.

by the way I hear people on the forums sell cap replacments. davec has one and there is another one by somebody else here I think. how much are they and what are the opinions of them?

Rei Yano posted on Sep 3 2006 at 10:58 PM said:
yeah thats true. all I can really think of is neo geo, nes, gb and gbc, sega systems (they run fine right?) and some other ancient systems. is it hard to learn how to code? :rolleyes:

the gp2x makes me want to learn. if I had the skill Id be up for days at a time trying to get snes and gba support. probably really hard work though. *sigh*

Im still thinking about it. the mame support sounds nice. Im even thinking about just buying it to support gamepark holdings in hopes of a superior system. maybe Ill do that. buy the system and all the official accesories plus any commercial games. just to support GPH. pretty fanboi-ish but hey if they get the support they need then we get to have abetter system one day! Im gonna buy it I think. Ill cross my fingers for snes and gba. gamepark needs my cash. still I need to save a little more than what I got. I also want a 4gb sd card and at least 8 2900mah recharg batteries and a good recharger.

by the way I hear people on the forums sell cap replacments. davec has one and there is another one by somebody else here I think. how much are they and what are the opinions of them?

You don't need a cap replacement anymore. The new caps that come on the unit are fine.

neo geo, nes, gb and gbc, sega systems all run fine. MAME is great too if you don't expect to run Ridge Racer Arcade full speed on it.

4 gig cards are pretty cheap these days too.

DaveC posted on Sep 4 2006 at 12:49 AM said:
Maybe you wouldn't mind a little dodgy sound and a few missing transparencies, obviously it doesn't bother others here

Exactly, I find SNES emulation good, but far from perfect. Squidge is doing an impressive job, and I'm sure he will offer the GP2X an excellent emulator with his next SNES emulator!

SSNES may be unplayable for some, as you say, but is still good if you don't mind some overclocking, graphical bugs (varying from none in most game, to annoying in some others) and poor sound quality (that's DaveC's opinion... i find it good enough, for a portable device with such small speakers :) )

make your choice :ph34r:

You are never going to learn how to code an emulator unless you are REALLY REALLY dedicated.

The updated GP2X's that are selling now have a joystick that is the best you can use.

JaqMs posted on Sep 3 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
You are never going to learn how to code an emulator unless you are REALLY REALLY dedicated.

The updated GP2X's that are selling now have a joystick that is the best you can use.
pretty hard huh? well I mean where could I start? I mean I dont have to make emus for years but where do I start with learning to code for the gp2x? that would be fun. make me a little tetris game for it while Im learning or something. thats what the gp2x is about right? homebrew and community dev right? would be fun I think. I used to know a little c. made a crappy checkers game once. been a long time since then though. at least 5 years.

Back