The Ten Things I Love About You, Gp2x!

pariah

Ok, here's what I think.

I ordered my GP2X back in November and waited patiently (ok, not so patiently, I'm not so good with the less than instant gratification thing) for it's arrival. My GP2X arrived just under a week before Christmas, and I was ecstatic. I've spent a lot of my time since said day exploring the ins and outs of the machine, and here, I guess, is what I like to call the ten things that I love about you, GP2X.

1. Ok, so I know that an Ipod does it better, and all, but I love the fact that I can take my System of a Down and Gwar with me on the go. How 'effin' cool is that? Here I am stuck at work and I need some Vicinity of Obsenity -- it's right there. I love my little GP2X mp3 player.

2. I have a flippin' 1 gig SD card with the entire Lord of the Rings Extended edition trilogy on it. If I watch this movie (yes, I said movie, not movies because that is just what it is) one more time I'm going to friggin' become a Hobbit! My precious GP2X gives me this power. Oh yeah, I also threw the original Tripping the Rift (pre-television) episode on a second card just to show to people at work, but I'll get to the whole showing off thing later on here.

3. Hand-held Genesis that isn't a Nomad with six crappy alkalines! If you have a GP2X and you haven't tried out DrMDX, you are seriously deranged! Sonic? Yeah, baby. ToeJam and Earl? You know it. Shinobi 3? Killin' me. I can't get enough. So many roms and so little time. I actually own a Nomad. I know, you're impressed, but I've only ever played it for maybe a total of about two hours over the last ten years, whereas I have played DrMDX through about 20 changes of my 2500 mah rechargables. Good stuff.

4. Tilematch. Do I really have to say anything more than that? I hate puzzle games. I hate them with a purple passion that eclipses any other hatred in my life. Tilematch rocks my world. I keep playing and playing, trying to beat my highscore, and failing miserably. Still, I play on. And on. And on. I've gotten up to level ten. Is that good? I don't know. I don't care. I need to go play Tilematch. So do you. Get thee hence.

5. Do you feel a tremor, yet? I do. In fact, I think it's more of a Quake! Ok, cliche' intro aside I am lovin' some Quake. I played the hell out of Wolfenstein. I played the uber-hell out of Doom and Doom II. I played the heck out of Quake. And now I can do it again in a handheld. Quake is an excellent example of what the GP2X is capable of in the 3d forum. Much coolness.

6. I'm almost embarassed to admit this. Ok, almost isn't a part of it. I am embarassed to admit this. I have been playing Lady Killer. I know, I know, I should be ashamed, and I would be if I had even a shred of dignity or a soul, but seeing as I have neither I feel nothing. Nothing! Wait, no. Didn't I say I was embarassed? Ah well. I even changed out some of the cute Anime girl semi-p0rn images for my own. Does that make me sound dirty? Oh please. You know you're going to do the same now that I gave you the idea! 320 by 200 baby. Don't forget.

7. Dev. If you don't know what Dev means you don't need to. Just download the things that people make for you. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Enjoy. Meanwhile I'm working on Egg Storm, an original game for my favorite handheld. GP2X all the way, baby.

8. Are you a GP2X owner? I'm thinking that you are if you're reading this. If so, then you know what I mean when I say I am completely addicted to the GP2X community. I don't just mean the people, though that is a huge part of it. I love to read the forums and see what everyone has to say, but in the end I am "in love" with the fact that I can check any of the GP2X sites, any time of the day or night and find something new, nine times out of ten. That is sweet, sweet, sweet. I don't even care what the new stuff is half the time. I just like the new. Don't care, just want. Awesome community. Awesome people. Awesome ... stuff. Mmmmm, stuff.

9. Ok, so I know that some of you had issues with the 1.2.0 firmware. I too had issues. Ok, let's be honest. I had whole muther effin' subscriptions. It wouldn't read my SD cards. Still, the patch for the picture viewer was the total and complete shizzy. I have been rockin' it with the e-comics ever since. I got some Swamp Thing, some Sandman and some Hellblazer on yet another 1 gig card right now. We're talkin' one-hundred plus issues here. The GP2X is my super geek machine. I love it. K. Nuff'.

10. MAME, dude. C'mon. MAME. Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator! Man, I can think of only one thing cooler than this, and it has nothing to do with the GP2X and everything to do with the backside of the hot chick I picked up at the local eatery tonight. Still, I'll take MAME nine times out of ten just the same. I am such a total whore for Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Roc n' Rope and so many others. I even (don't flame me, Shane) love the NeoGeo games, especially Metal Slug, which contrary to popular belief works just fine, sans sound. Franxis, thank-you. You are the man. You are the man. You are the man. I am so, bloody, not worthy. Is there anything better than old school arcade? I think not. The arcade is dead. Long live the GP2X.

What else is there? The GP2X is my own personal Jesus. I am the GP2X's whore. Such is life. I'm hooked.

What are your ten favorites? Let me hear from you. Don't be shy.

Out.

Pariah B)

1. AA's
2. Duke2X
3. NeoGeo CD emulator
4. Expandability
5. Open Source
6. Expandable memory
7. All the freakin' features. Audio, video, games, applications
8. The future of the GP2X looks bright
9. I can hook it up to my car
10. Second handheld I have ever owned.. I know for a fact that it's better than the PSP..

Nice! I forgot about AA's! True that, brother. True that. I can't get Duke to run. Apparently I am a Duke-Dolt. Neo CD is cool, but I prefer the carts and the arcade. Call me a purest. Expand, expand, expand! Yeah. Open source is God. Um, wasn't expandability already covered? Just me? Ok. All the rest. Totally on the spot, dude. Excellent.

Pariah B)

1. AA's
2. Duke2X
3. NeoGeo CD emulator
4. Expandability
5. Open Source
6. Expandable memory
10. Second handheld I have ever owned.. I know for a fact that it's better than the PSP..

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I can watch films on the go
2. I can play classic games on it
3. It's great for filling lunch breaks at work, or when I'm waiting for a train
4. It's more convenient than using a PC based emulator.
5. It (and it's memory cards) are cheaper than a psp (and it's Duo cards)
6. I don't need to crack it to do what I want
7. It's small enough to carry everywhere I go
8. The batteries are replacable (unlike my pocket pc which dies after 2 hours of video)
9. Even my JVC mininote laptop looks huge and weighs lots when compared to it. it's really the most functional hand held I've had.
10. It has an incredible online community providing software and advice.

Very enthusiastic if a tad over cliché and a bit too much Austin Powers "Baby".

My Vice is ViceGP2x - The Vic20 and the C64 are superb for an alpha.

I was so impressed and so intent on getting things working I have started to dev in a small way and recompiled it with a few modifications, mostly fixing the keyboards. (it took me a week on and off but I got there in the end)

Try Perils of Willy on the 16k Vic20 (when you fix the CTRL key see my other post or wait for Alpha4)

Play Jetpac on the 8k Vic20 it's great and very hard - can you get from the Rocket to the Space Shuttle?

Play anything from Jeff Minter on the Vic20 and C64 - Awesome Sonix and Llamas galore. Some sound effects achieved by forcing the VIC chip to freak out.

How far can you get on MYRIAD on the 8K Vic20 an awesome shooter with many alien types and the unusual feature of hang back aliens - Shoot all but one alien and the next wave arrieves full on with the last wave solo guy still there. Watch out for the diagonal asteroids. Great sound.

It is so good I hardly touch Mame at the moment.

My only other return point is GP2xEngine - if you don't know the PC Engine you do not know what you are missing - better than the Megadrive / Genesis. Near Arcade perfect conversions of R Type, Salamander, Gradius, Twinbee etc etc.

All in all an awesome console.

EDIT - there are at least 10 things mentioned in there ;-)

Very enthusiastic if a tad over cliché and a bit too much Austin Powers "Baby".

You're right. I'm a bitch like that. And that was an astute observation.

Pariah B)

1. Squidge Snes.
2. Castaway soon
3. Squidge Snes.
4. Easily Skinable UI
5. Squidge Snes.
6. DrMD
7. Squidge Snes.
8. People at gp32x.de being whiney bitches -_-
9. Squidge Snes.
10.Spout.

And pariah man, we really need to get you some decent films on your GP dude! Peter Jackson died after making Frightners... and a clone that makes really shit films took his place :(

Mr. Doctor, Jackson truly died after making Bad Taste and Dead Alive, but I'll let that go. I still dig the Rings movie.

Best quote from Dead Alive, "I kick ass for the Lord!"
Best quote from Bad Taste, "I'm a Derrik and Derrik's don't run!" Said by P.J. himself.

Pariah B)

Damn, this reminds me how much I need a gp2x :) Still waiting for March (when my birthday is- so hopefully I'll finally have enough to get a GP2X and rechargable batteries, a recharger, a mains adapter, and a Gig SD card ;) (and maybe a DaveC stick mod if he's still doing them and the stock stick really is bad). And hopefully things will have settled down a little more by then, firmware and otherwise...)

:p

1.) Emulating Roms
2.) PSX Emulator Looks Promising For The Future :)
3.) Play Movies & Mps's ect...
4.) Duke Nukem, Doom, And Quake!
5.) Design
6.) Freeware Games!
7.) Development
8.) Tv Out Cable B)
9.) Volume Button... (dont ask :rolleyes: :p)
10.) Big Nice Screen :)

the screen
the screen
the screen
the screen
the screen
the screen
the screen
DrMD
C64 emu
the screen!

1. I watched Friday's new Battlestar Galactica on the train this morning. Luckily, this one didn't make me cry.
2. I've discovered that the Commodore 64 rocked and can continue to do so.
3. I can play Frontier : Elite 2 on an Atari ST in my lunchbreak. Now all I need is to save enough cash to buy me that Imperial Trader I've been hankering after.
4. When someone asked me today, with a nod to my laptop bag, 'Did you bring your computer?' I could honestly answer 'Yes,' and then list a couple plus a bunch of consoles. Oh, I love showing off.
4. I've rediscovered a whole bunch of games I forgot existed (New Zealand Story, Megalomania, Cannon Fodder to name a few) and have been playing them like they were nicotine for my eyes.
5. I've found even more games I never knew existed and have been playing them when I tire of the others.
6. I can finally read those comics I have on my computer and I can do it in bed! And I didn't have to get my mum to spend a fortune on posting the hard copies from her house!
7. No-one else has one (erm,except most of you guys). And mine says First Edition on it. (erm, just like you guys.)
8. Its much easier playing emulated games on a handheld, as opposed to my laptop.
9. AA's!!! Sure, owners of other consoles might say its a step backwards, but WTF? I run out of power I open my bag - shit, no spares... Oh looky! A 7-11! No fuss.
Plus, I'm getting a good 5 or 6 hours gaming out of my 2700mh's. (Can you pluralize that? Never mind I just did.)
10. I get a weird kick out of SD cards because I am a sad little man.
Look! Its a tiny, tiny piece of plastic! It has a ton of ROMs on it! And it has a movie or two on it! And some tunes! And some comics! And its a piece of plastic! See how small it is? And now for my next trick, folks, I put it in here and voila!
Instant boredom-be-gone! *applause*

Hanx GPX2/2X! (WHICH IS IT?! I always forget.)

I didn't know any handhelds had GPX2! Mine's got GP2X on it. Didn't they almost get sued or something by a company making GPX printers?

1) DrMD
2) 2XQuake
3) SquidgeSNES
4) Linux!
5) NK's NeoCD
6) Music
7) Video (Anime)
8) Images (Manga)
9) OpenGlad2X
10) And the LCD/CPU tweeker deserves to be on this list despite not being something to do.

Only had it a few days.

in no order save for #1

#1 gp2xengine Portable Dracula X=me happy
mame (the little bit i have tested)
audio (really good via headphones)
control once you replace the godawful default joystick

I'll come up with more later

Nice! I forgot about AA's! True that, brother. True that. I can't get Duke to run. Apparently I am a Duke-Dolt. Neo CD is cool, but I prefer the carts and the arcade. Call me a purest. Expand, expand, expand! Yeah. Open source is God. Um, wasn't expandability already covered? Just me? Ok. All the rest. Totally on the spot, dude. Excellent.

Pariah B)

1. AA's
2. Duke2X
3. NeoGeo CD emulator
4. Expandability
5. Open Source
6. Expandable memory

I haven't been able to get Duke3D to run either. I don't think I have the right version. If someone were to discreetly pass me a link to one, though... :p

1. DrMD
2. GnGeo
3. Noiz2sa
4. Reminiscence
5. Quake
6. All the sweet emulators in progress that are giving me a boner waiting for them
7. It looks cool
8. It has an awesome screen
9. It's open for homebrew development (this would be higher up if I had any motivation to do anything lately <_< )
10. And if the firmware source stuff gets sorted out then that will go here.

Vice and OutcaST would probably be on the list too if I had working disk images for them right now. I'm also looking forward to DJWillis' version of SCUMMVM with the hardware scaling so I can finally play Sam & Max (I missed out on it when it first came out.) All in all it was a pretty good $230 I spent.

<lots of snips>
4. Tilematch. Do I really have to say anything more than that? I hate puzzle games. I hate them with a purple passion that eclipses any other hatred in my life. Tilematch rocks my world. I keep playing and playing, trying to beat my highscore, and failing miserably. Still, I play on. And on. And on. I've gotten up to level ten. Is that good? I don't know. I don't care. I need to go play Tilematch. So do you. Get thee hence.

Pariah B)

Man, this is exactly how I feel about this game. My fiancee plays some tooth puzzle game, and bejewelled and about 100 other puzzle games. I *despise* puzzle games, yet Tilematch is very appealling to me for some odd reason. A true testament to the work the miq01 has done. My theory is that it's a very old school style game. No fancy graphics or animation, just simple and fun. That pretty much sums up most of the old school games. It's more about gameplay than flash.

What backs it up even more is that my fiancee *doesn't* like it and she likes all puzzle games. She doesn't like that there are time limits and that seems to be why I like it, trying to beat my high score. --shrug--

~telengard

Back