I Need An Lcd Cable.

emcee

This is mostly directed towards Craigix. I know messages to individual posters should be sent through PMs, but apparently that isn't working, and it seems Craigix replies to posts on the forums.

Anyway, the LCD cable in my Pandora died. My Pandora isn't under warranty, so I took it apart and removed the cable, but I still need a replacement. Or, if for some reason it isn't possible to buy the cable without the rest of the Pandora, I would at least like to know that so I can put my Pandora back together as is. Also, if I can get a new cable, I need to know what to do to keep that one from failing too.

emcee said:
This is mostly directed towards Craigix. I know messages to individual posters should be sent through PMs, but apparently that isn't working, and it seems Craigix replies to posts on the forums.

Anyway, the LCD cable in my Pandora died. My Pandora isn't under warranty, so I took it apart and removed the cable, but I still need a replacement. Or, if for some reason it isn't possible to buy the cable without the rest of the Pandora, I would at least like to know that so I can put my Pandora back together as is. Also, if I can get a new cable, I need to know what to do to keep that one from failing too.

Hmmm. The cable is complex to fit, if it is even slightly off it will break, we made tools to place it perfectly every time which is how we solved the issue.

You might be better off buying a whole top part with it already attached. We can sell you the cable by itself if you REALLY want it but I just suspect it will go the way of the first... it's so delicate if you position it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Hmmm. The cable is complex to fit, if it is even slightly off it will break, we made tools to place it perfectly every time which is how we solved the issue.

You might be better off buying a whole top part with it already attached. We can sell you the cable by itself if you REALLY want it but I just suspect it will go the way of the first... it's so delicate if you position it wrong.

This has bothered me before, but can I ask why these cables are so incredibly fragile? Also, given that they are so fragile, isn't there a danger they might break through normal opening/closing/carrying/playing with the Pandora? Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical (and I'm not considering cancelling my order) but perhaps you could help allay my fears.

TitanUranus said:
craigix said:

This has bothered me before, but can I ask why these cables are so incredibly fragile? Also, given that they are so fragile, isn't there a danger they might break through normal opening/closing/carrying/playing with the Pandora? Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical (and I'm not considering cancelling my order) but perhaps you could help allay my fears.

They need to be properly placed and rolled, otherwise they can easily be cramped during assembly.
If they get stuck in the case, opening and closing will kill them (that's what happened with some of the first units) during time.
They need to be put in properly so they can move freely.

Also, you need a new hinge part to properly put the LCD cable in - it won't work without breaking the old one.

Last edited:
So how much would the full top cost, versus just the cable? Would there be a longer wait for the full top?

emcee said:
So how much would the full top cost, versus just the cable? Would there be a longer wait for the full top?

Ed should be able to ship you the cable for about $15. The full top would be more like $100. You will also need a hinge.

if its any comparison to the nds lcd cable that also has to be rolled through the case, its not THAT difficult, but you will go insane by the time you get it through the right way

craigix said:
emcee said:

Ed should be able to ship you the cable for about $15. The full top would be more like $100. You will also need a hinge.

So when you say I need a hinge, do you mean the metal pin an plastic clip in the right hinge? If so, can I buy that with the cable without the full top?

I have a friend who seems pretty confident that he can get the cable in there right, and given his track record, I believe him. It only has to last until my batch 2 unit comes in.

However, if for some reason I do buy the full top, will that portion be under warranty?

ok so quick question, what are the possibilities of installing a nds like hinge into the pandora so it locks in at 130 degrees and 180? i realize OPT wasnt allowed to install these hinges due to copyright crap, but can it be done at home?

Wait, what the hell? They can't make it lock at a certain degree point because Nintendo copyrighted it?
Thats.....just bullshit, is it even possible to copyright an ANGLE? okay, copyright the device...great, but the locking angle? or is that just part of the whole package with copyrighting the device? Is there no other hinge using device than the NDS (not counting the Pandora). THey should have just made it lock at 131 degrees, no one would be able to see the difference :p

I would say it is worth the gamble to pay $15 and see if you can get it to work and if not then pay $100 for the top or send it in to get fixed or whatever.

How is your Pandora not under warranty? Am I in a time warp and the Pandora has been out more than a year?

linc186 said:
Wait, what the hell? They can't make it lock at a certain degree point because Nintendo copyrighted it?
Thats.....just bullshit, is it even possible to copyright an ANGLE? okay, copyright the device...great, but the locking angle? or is that just part of the whole package with copyrighting the device? Is there no other hinge using device than the NDS (not counting the Pandora). THey should have just made it lock at 131 degrees, no one would be able to see the difference :p
I don't think nintendo has a patented the locking in an angle, they have patented the specific construction that locks the device in an angle. So if you invent a new way of doing this you should be fine. The problem is that you need to invent it first.

second exodous said:
How is your Pandora not under warranty? Am I in a time warp and the Pandora has been out more than a year?

I imagine he's already opened it up

Well, both DS Lites I've owned (onyx black) have had the hinges fall apart and stop working after about a year of normal wear. So I don't want a hinge like the DS Lite. Anyway, good luck with the LCD cable

Craig, ED, emcee: I suggest emcee ask for repair at Craig's or ED's house. It will be less expensive than ordering full top and more secure than installation bare cable without proper tool and knowledge. I think that 2x postage, lcd cable and repair could be cheaper then $115 + 1x postage.

Xenu said:
I don't think nintendo has a patented the locking in an angle, they have patented the specific construction that locks the device in an angle. So if you invent a new way of doing this you should be fine. The problem is that you need to invent it first.
They had two choices: buy an off the shelf locking mechanism, which only locks at one angle; or custom design their own at great cost that locks in two positions like the NDS. They went with the off the shelf part because doing a custom design would have been too expensive.
The reason people bring up the "Nintendo wouldn't let them" is because they actually asked about using the exact hinges that Nintendo uses and were told no, not because it is patented or anything, but because Nintendo owns the hinge moulds, in the same way that OPT owns the case moulds or the nub design: someone else could, in theory, make their own moulds and machines and produce exact replicas of the Pandora case, D-pad, or nubs, but they shouldn't be allowed to just buy the Pandora's stuff wholesale.

emcee said:
craigix said:
emcee said:

So when you say I need a hinge, do you mean the metal pin an plastic clip in the right hinge? If so, can I buy that with the cable without the full top?

I have a friend who seems pretty confident that he can get the cable in there right, and given his track record, I believe him. It only has to last until my batch 2 unit comes in.

However, if for some reason I do buy the full top, will that portion be under warranty?

The problem is that you don't have the positioning tool to place it correctly, if it's placed wrong on the LCD side it won't line up with the hinge or the PCB - that's what makes it break after hundreds of openings.

There is no mark or way to see where to place it without the tool.

craigix said:
emcee said:
craigix said:
emcee said:

The problem is that you don't have the positioning tool to place it correctly, if it's placed wrong on the LCD side it won't line up with the hinge or the PCB - that's what makes it break after hundreds of openings.

Can't he send it to you, you can repair and post it back, and charge, say $50 dollars for the cable and your time?

craigix said:

The Pandora is great, and I'll be happy to have mine working again, but for what I use it for, it's essentially a toy. An awesome toy, but a toy. So I really can only justify spending just so much on it, and another $100 would put it over the line. At least for right now.

You're probably right, after a while I'll start to see a tint when it's fully open, then it'll just keep getting worse until I'm back where I started. But if that's after a month or so, I think $15 is worth it. Then I'll just put it up on a shelf until I happen to have a pile of money burning its way through my pocket, or I've just gone long enough without spending money on something frivolous.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help with this. I'm going to PM ED about ordering a new cable.

Back