I Originally Paid $437.73cad, And Got Back $375cad. Do I Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobski

I was credited back $375.22 CAD back onto my credit card, and I'm going tomorrow to do a bank transfer.

I pay it with CAD, right?

Gruso said:
Yes, you repay the amount you were refunded in your local currency.
AAAAA++++ Would read again

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
I got back like $365, but the amount 199 GBP transfer to now is around $70 less. I hope I'm paying in pounds?
Unless you want to help out the OP team who are subsidising everyone else who would have lost out thought the change in exchange rates, yes. If you think that's fair...

Sigh. Humanity. There seem to be several ways to go. We start with:

1. Customer paid in {local currency} which was converted to, approximated for neatness, £200.

2. Currency Exchange Rates varied and the pound weakened.

3. Customers got refunded. Many complained that they got less back than they had paid, in local currency.

4. Other customers pointed out that further currency exchange rate variations may occur, which could make customers even worse off although signs suggested that they would actually make the customers better off, in general.

5. OpenPandora said "It's OK - you pay us EXACTLY what you got back. Ignore the currency exchange rate, we will take back EXACTLY what we have given you and deal with it".

6. Some customers find that if they paid the original retail price in £ now that would be more than they were refunded, and gratefully pay back only the same as they received.

7. OpenPandora have announced that the cost of the machine has gone up (to around £265 IIRC - correct me if I'm wrong!) in £ sterling for new orders, while they will continue to honor the prices originally paid by previous pre-order customers.

8. Some customers find that paying back what they were refunded would result, due to further exchange rate changes, in OpenPandora receiving more cash than they had originally asked for - so they seem to want to pay the "original" (not current) retail price in £ sterling because that works out to less than the amount they got refunded in their local currency.

Now, I'm a £ sterling pre-order customer who has already re-pre-ordered, so this doesn't REALLY affect me - but to me, if you want to REplace your order you should REturn the REfunded money. Exactly what you got, in your bank, from the refund and no less. If you'd rather take advantage of the exchange rate mechanism then I see nothing wrong with that either - provided you pay the current £ sterling price. Paying the pre-exchange-rate-change £ sterling price in order to skim money off the team seems morally dubious, to me personally. You've already paid that money once, is the Pandora worth any less than when you originally paid for it? Remember - it now has more memory...

But, at the end of the day, we each have to do what seems right to us, ourselves.

I added the TV cable to bring my total back up. I had full intention to pay the full amount in GBP from the start, even if the exchanges had worked against me.
Although, thinking on it now that other news has come to light, they're paying everything in USD, so even if you do pay the full amount in GBP, they then convert that to USD at a lost of about 30 GBP. This doesn't seem very fair.
On the other hand, if I had paid back exactly what I was refunded in CAD, converted to USD, they'd be out even more. I could have paid exactly what I was refunded back in GBP, but the difference was only about 10 GBP, and they're still getting shafted on the GBP->USD conversion.
This is a pickle.

WizardStan said:
I added the TV cable to bring my total back up. I had full intention to pay the full amount in GBP from the start, even if the exchanges had worked against me.
Although, thinking on it now that other news has come to light, they're paying everything in USD, so even if you do pay the full amount in GBP, they then convert that to USD at a lost of about 30 GBP. This doesn't seem very fair.
On the other hand, if I had paid back exactly what I was refunded in CAD, converted to USD, they'd be out even more. I could have paid exactly what I was refunded back in GBP, but the difference was only about 10 GBP, and they're still getting shafted on the GBP->USD conversion.
This is a pickle.
I guess issues like this is why the big guys never do worldwide releases and sell in the country supported.
Day to day currency exchange rates can vary widely, especially in this economy. Right now the Pound is down and the dollar up, but I fully expect the USD to crash in the next 6 months. There is entirely too much weight on the dollar to maintain a strong dollar and it could happen at any time the Bernankie is printing money like a drunken sailor. I don't know much about Paulson's replacement, but I'm willing to guess he wants to carry on the same policies but more of it. I guess the moral of the story is that Craig and company are being VERY fair in this issue and willing to take the same money they were taking 6 months ago and whatever you were refunded.

Unfortunately, my guess is that the Pandora won't have another run and the ones being manufactured right now will be the only ones, mostly because of the crashing of the global economy. The governments massaged numbers are wrong, unemployment is at least 11% and set to go up from here. OTOH, sometimes expensive gadgets do well in any environment because of prestige. The iPod sales are up and were up even during the 4th quarter of 08, and not discounted. I guess it's iffy and nobody really knows what is going to happen, but I wouldn't count on a lot of US sales much longer, because the dollar just has too much weight on it and can't continue like this.

Chris

christo930 said:
Day to day currency exchange rates can vary widely, especially in this economy. Right now the Pound is down and the dollar up, but I fully expect the USD to crash in the next 6 months. There is entirely too much weight on the dollar to maintain a strong dollar and it could happen at any time the Bernankie is printing money like a drunken sailor.

Chris
If you're that sure of it, what on earth are you doing posting on gp32x.de? You should be borrowing money like crazy and bet it all on the dollar's future value. Get to it man!

^That. Why not invest some of your fully-expected dollar collapse money in OP so we can still have our system as the economy falls down around us?

Before one invests money for any prolonged period, it is wise to have spare money (of sufficient amount to be worth the effort) which will definately not bee needed for the duration.

In other words, to get richer it is easiest first to be ruich. If you;re not then necessities like heating, food, ultra portable consoles and the like take priority over investments :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back