i want a pandora, what do i do?

MrLemonyFresh

well aside from getting it, it would be good to know what a better time for getting it would be, whether i should pre order now in order to get it at Christmas, and if i can safely use paypal to order it. (what with the problem you guys seemed to have with the first pre order)
also, does anyone have any idea whether this build will stay the same for very long? it wouldn't be too bad if it was upgraded in a span of 2 years or so like some of the big brand handhelds. If it's like these smaller things that is released at an early time in it's transformation, i would think twice before getting it, at least until it's as good as it seems it's gonna get.

The first batch of Pandoras are all sold out. If you want one you're gonna have to wait until the next batch

mrlemonyfresh said:
well aside from getting it, it would be good to know what a better time for getting it would be, whether i should pre order now in order to get it at Christmas, and if i can safely use paypal to order it. (what with the problem you guys seemed to have with the first pre order)
also, does anyone have any idea whether this build will stay the same for very long? it wouldn't be too bad if it was upgraded in a span of 2 years or so like some of the big brand handhelds. If it's like these smaller things that is released at an early time in it's transformation, i would think twice before getting it, at least until it's as good as it seems it's gonna get.

I'm sorry, but the pre order is sold out. I suggest, that you take the time to browse this forum and the forum on gp32x to gather all the info you need. That will fill the gap between preorder and the next batch, that will come out next year :)
Just read the upcoming reviews, that will be posted when the pre order devices have been shipped. That will answer any possible open question.

Look on the bright side, once you get your pandora, there will be plenty of awesome software available for it

Look on the bright side, once you get your pandora, there will be plenty of awesome software available for it
lol, that wasn't my problem. but yer, linux. it's linux, the second i found out i knew i could rest assured that I'd be able to play my favorite retro games (mostly through emulators of course) unless it's like quake 2 and such, it is i think the third most popular OS after all.
btw if i say something stupid when I'm talking about linux, it's because i've never used it before ;) it will be a first. I'll probably cheat and look for some kind of windows shell :)

mrlemonyfresh said:
I'll probably cheat and look for some kind of windows shell :)
You mean a desktop environment. Linux has those too. Most of the times for desktop computers installed :p What do you think, linux people only use the command line? :p

Yeah. Using linux in your everyday life isn't all that different from windows, especially if you use something like ubuntu. Sure, you have to go to the command line every once in a while, but it's really not any more complicated than windows, just different.

don't forget about ebay! :p I would not be surprised to see a couple show up there for double the price. How bad do you really want one? :D

mrlemonyfresh said:
lol, that wasn't my problem. but yer, linux. it's linux, the second i found out i knew i could rest assured that I'd be able to play my favorite retro games (mostly through emulators of course) unless it's like quake 2 and such, it is i think the third most popular OS after all.
I'm not sure if you meant to say that, but Quake 2 seems to run just fine based upon the videos I've seen. Granted I don't have mine yet, but it looked like the performance was good enough to enjoy.

disjfa said:
You mean a desktop environment. Linux has those too. Most of the times for desktop computers installed :p What do you think, linux people only use the command line? :p

Screw X11, I only run my software through busybox! finch and links are the only software I need! I can even check gmail through links too (I wish I was joking about this part).

Screw X11, I only run my software through busybox! finch and links are the only software I need! I can even check gmail through links too (I wish I was joking about this part).

By links to you mean lynx or elinks? Because, snap, I gotta try that. I have been using pine over imap for gmail. Who needs a GUI?

no, i know there are desktop environments, but I've never used anything other than windows, and it would be convenient to be able to use it on a pandora.

I'm not sure if you meant to say that, but Quake 2 seems to run just fine based upon the videos I've seen. Granted I don't have mine yet, but it looked like the performance was good enough to enjoy.

lol, yeh don't worry, that's not what i meant, i saw the videos too. hope they can get hardware mode working

mrlemonyfresh said:
no, i know there are desktop environments, but I've never used anything other than windows, and it would be convenient to be able to use it on a pandora.
Now might be a good time to try linux. :wink:
All the software is going to be linux based. Using Windows on Pandora with ARM architecture is either impossible or not usable depending on who you listen to, and so will be far from convenient.

TaG said:
mrlemonyfresh said:

which is one of the reasons why I pre-ordered Pandora , as even if I install Linux on any PC I own, I always in mysterious ways end up using Windows :oops:

bronek said:
TaG said:
mrlemonyfresh said:

which is one of the reasons why I pre-ordered Pandora , as even if I install Linux on any PC I own, I always in mysterious ways end up using Windows :oops:

If that happens again, you can always run Windows 3.1 or 95 in dosbox :lol:

it would be pretty cool if there was a way that i could use the windows interface, while still using linux. if it didn't work the same way, at least i could navigate around and it wouldn't be such a learning curve.

mrlemonyfresh said:
it would be pretty cool if there was a way that i could use the windows interface, while still using linux. if it didn't work the same way, at least i could navigate around and it wouldn't be such a learning curve.

Oh, I'm sure Pandora will hace decent window manager installed by default. Do not worry about that.

mrlemonyfresh said:
That doesn't really help - the interface is not difficult on a normal distro anyway. Download a friendly distro like Mint or Ubuntu, burn to cd and try it as a livecd, which doesn't touch the hard disk at all. That way you can 'play' around a while without doing any worries.

Back