Release If you used sebt3's MIDI installer, please try this

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
Following are some Timidity optimisations for better MIDI performance on the Pandora. I am interested in feedback from gamers who are using sebt3's MIDI installer for background music. You will need to edit a config file on the NAND as root. If you're willing to do this, read on.

What are the optimisations? See code box below. Music producers will be glad to know that in my tests, all glitching and popping during MIDI playback was eliminated. The timing itself is not really improved (bit of a drunken metronome) but I assume this needs to be addressed elsewhere.

Why gamers? Because I haven't got any applicable games set up right now to test. These changes will give your music a little less 'polish'. Maybe performance will be better. Maybe you won't notice any change at all. I would like to know what your ears have to say about it. :) If all is good, I will talk to sebt3 about adding this to his installer.

How to make the changes: Simply add the lines below to the beginning of /usr/share/midi/.../sounds.cfg

Note: "..." varies depending on which sounds you installed.

Code:
opt EFresamp=d #disable resampling

opt EFvlpf=d #disable VLPF

opt EFreverb=d #disable reverb

opt EFchorus=d #disable chorus

opt EFdelay=d #disable delay

opt --no-anti-alias #disable sample anti-aliasing

opt p32a #default to 32 voices with auto reduction

opt s32kHz #default sample frequency to 32kHz

opt fast-decay #fast decay notes

Reboot to make sure the changes are picked up, and give your games a run. (Probably sensible to test your games before doing this too, to get your ear in.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a decent set of headphones any differences should be easy to spot, so I'll give this a go later today and let you know how it goes.

"How to make the changes: Simply add the lines below to the beginning of /usr/share/midi/.../sounds.cfg"

I do not have any "midi" directory in usr/share/ -> even though I installed Timidity... is it normal ?

You have that, if you installed to nand, hot to sdcard.

But if you want to tune opendune, you have to modify the files in the pnd itself, as it doesn't use the midi installer files, but its own.

You could duplicate the file in the appears folder and the system will use that instead, U will have to get a copy of the file first though, you could do this while the game is running if you ssh into ur device.

Thanks for taking a look guys. To test settings in Dune, you need to edit /midi/handheld/sounds.cfg (which is inside the Dune PND). Under Windows you can access it with PNDTools or 7zip beta 9.22.

Edit as per first post, then save it to your opendune appdata folder using the same path, ie. /appdata/opendune/midi/handheld/sounds.cfg

I don't have the tools on this work PC to do it. I'll upload an edited cfg after work.

You need to create it :) The idea is that you are replicating the path to that file as it appears in the PND. When the PND is mounted, the file located in /appdata will override the one in the PND.

(Hopefully I'm giving you good info here... about to test it myself.)

[edit] Ok, it seems to make no difference to Dune.

You need to create it :) The idea is that you are replicating the path to that file as it appears in the PND. When the PND is mounted, the file located in /appdata will override the one in the PND.

(Hopefully I'm giving you good info here... about to test it myself.)

[edit] Ok, it seems to make no difference to Dune.

Thanks for the answer... I was just going to try after reading your first sentence, and after reading your second I see there's no point :)

Back