Improved Usability Of Download Section

u9i

Call me Uni
Website
riotdigital.com
Hi,

Is it possible to get a user rating system of some kind implemented on the download sites (www.gp2x.de) so that one has some kind of feel for "what's hot and what's not." And I don't mean the number of downloads, because you won't know if something is good until you have downloaded it. If other users were allowed to rate the archives good software has a chance of standing out.

There is not much activity in this section, so please reply with what you think about my suggestion, of nothing else, then just to let me know the appropriate people have seen it.

u9i said:
Hi,

Is it possible to get a user rating system of some kind implemented on the download sites (www.gp2x.de) so that one has some kind of feel for "what's hot and what's not." And I don't mean the number of downloads, because you won't know if something is good until you have downloaded it. If other users were allowed to rate the archives good software has a chance of standing out.

There is not much activity in this section, so please reply with what you think about my suggestion, of nothing else, then just to let me know the appropriate people have seen it.
There was one implemented in the past but it got abused so it was disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurkio said:
u9i said:
Hi,

There was one implemented in the past but it got abused so it was disabled.

What I thought might be good idea if someone was to do reviews and do their own rating. It could even be a separate site. The closest thing to this was the spotlight feature on the wiki page

Pickle said:
What I thought might be good idea if someone was to do reviews and do their own rating. It could even be a separate site. The closest thing to this was the spotlight feature on the wiki page
+1, seems like a good idea.

Pickle said:
There have been a few review sites, but I don't think any of them have been maintained.

u9i said:
It works for youtube, so it should be doable here also :)
You get to keep the users in line then, and also have to make sure that the voting system doesn't get abused (again). :p

Lurkio said:
You get to keep the users in line then, and also have to make sure that the voting system doesn't get abused (again). :p
Could you please elaborate as to how it got abused, and what kind of "keeping inline" is needed?

The way that there was a group of people who went around giving 10s to all emulators and 0s to anything else is probably the best example of abuse :S.

u9i said:
Could you please elaborate as to how it got abused, and what kind of "keeping inline" is needed?
Orkie said:
The way that there was a group of people who went around giving 10s to all emulators and 0s to anything else is probably the best example of abuse :S.
+ I was thinking of something like this. :ph34r:

328861067.jpg

Orkie said:
Is this not just an expression of opinion? Surely we do not consider people who's opinions differ from "the norm" to be abusive?

No matter. I have made my suggestion. I hope some kind of system will someday improve the browsing section :) Comments help a lot but not everything has comments and it requires more effort then if the software was rated.

It wasn't just emulators, someone was giving their program 10 and voting down any file above their's to maintain an entry in the top ten.

This wouldn't matter if lots of people voted because the low mark would be lost in the average but most files only got less than 10 votes and were ignored because of the low mark.

u9i said:
Orkie said:
Is this not just an expression of opinion? Surely we do not consider people who's opinions differ from "the norm" to be abusive?

You've got to be kidding me. By your logic any kind of abusive feedback would be permissible. One of my more recent games received a 3/10 rating, and the lousy scum didn't even bother to leave a comment explaining what drove him to give me that lovely present... Being a narrow-minded idiot is not an expression of opinion, it is just an expression of who you are :)

Alex. said:
You've got to be kidding me. By your logic any kind of abusive feedback would be permissible [...]
Did I sound like I was kidding? That was not my intention. I'm sorry about your negative feedback, it is not easy to please everyone, that's fore sure :)

I see now, the problem is that there are not enough users, so the feedback is not so reliable to actually represent the general opinion, and probably can fluctuate much. With such a small userbase it is actually feasible to create several accounts and give yourself votes in order to improve your own software's rating (which is what I would call abuse.)

I personally do not consider people giving their own software high marks while giving others low marks as abusive. It's being a prick (Jante Law), but it is their expressed opinion, so who am I to argue. The whole point of letting people vote is to give them a voice. It also means one will have to tolerate what they say.

Who knows, maybe with some cunning statistical analysis one could even make a voting system work for such a small userbase :)

Anyways, thanks for the discussion guys. I got a more clear view on the matter.

Back