Pandora Updates Thread

Tom`

I feel like there isn't a particular place for general updates from the developers. (If there is, let me know.) There's the news section, of course, but we lack a catch-all thread for anything that a Pandora hardware or software developer posts that may or may not be worth an official news post, a blog post, or its own thread.

For an example of the kind of thing I mean, there are two Twitter posts by craigix that went up a little while ago that are pretty neat, but which (I think) don't really need their own news/blog post:

I'm sitting with a glass of rum playing thought quake1 on the Pandora. It's glorious.
These controls are a revolution. For the first time I can play the quake games on a handheld as they were meant to be played.
Good stuff.

Now, please feel free to post any update here, even if you think it deserves a news/blog post. In the case of news, you can post in the appropriate section as well, and a moderator will look at it and (if newsworthy) approve it. Also, this will be a place that (hopefully) the blog authors, and authors of other news sites, can check.

Does that sound good?

The way it always worked in GP32X, was News would get the big announcements, while General Discussion would get the itsy-bitsy stuff. Even Craigix's Twitters got their own threads in General on GP32X.

javaJake said:
The way it always worked in GP32X, was News would get the big announcements, while General Discussion would get the itsy-bitsy stuff. Even Craigix's Twitters got their own threads in General on GP32X.
I know, but ... I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more minor updates as release draws closer, and I don't think that it necessarily all warrants its own thread. Even the threads for Twitter updates on GP32X were usually more substantial pieces of news.

Of course, if no one uses this thread, it'll die, so ... we can always let the community decide. :p

I was thinking we needed a Community Blog thread in here like on GP32X, but this idea is better.

It'll probably need regular moderating so it doesn't get filled up with too much chat & debate. It's your baby now, Tom. :p

Gruso said:
I was thinking we needed a Community Blog thread in here like on GP32X, but this idea is better.

It'll probably need regular moderating so it doesn't get filled up with too much chat & debate. It's your baby now, Tom. :p
Indeed, if there are more than a couple of posts actually discussing the updates, they can be moved to their own thread (which likely would have been started by that time anyway).

I like the news threads where all the news is edited into the first post, so you don't have to go through the entire thread looking for news. That way you could leave the chit-chat in and not worry about fixing it later, if someone wants to go see what everyone else says about the updates they can just scroll down, it will also keep the new threads to a minimum.

So your first post will just be updated and everything below is for people to talk about what you write in the first post, does that make sense?

Yes! These are all great ideas.
After all, it's not like some pioneering people created an unofficial, community based blog for collecting all updates including these minor ones. And even if they did, it's not like the volunteers are numerous enough that it's frequently updated within minutes of any sort of news or announcement.
<.<

Engaging sarcasm filter, I have to agree with WizardStan. http://openpandora.wordpress.com/ already tracks the forums and the developer blog just fine.

The developers already have their own blog, they can use it if they feel it's newsworthy of a blog entry.

The two quotes in Tom's post are really best followed by following craigx on twitter, if you're interested in twitter, if not then they're not something you really want to follow anyway.

And where do you guys think us bloggers get our information? ;) We catch most things, but we don't see every post in every thread, or F5 the official blog before everyone else does, or see every Tweet the moment it goes out. The blog thread on GP32X was a good place for people to dump things that we missed.

We need a little less sarcasm in this place imo. :(

Back