In Desperate Need of a RELIABLE Cell Phone

rError

I have had no luck with cell phones ever since my Samsung Impact T746 died. The phone was a bit on the slow side, didn't do much besides phone calls and texts but it was reliable, stable, and the battery lasted for 5+ days! It was also very robust, I used to rest 80lb boxes on my leg directly against the phone, it didn't care. Phone was once run over by a 1991 Chevy 1500 going 10km/h on sand - phone wasn't effected.

I have tried various iPhones, a few LG phones, and a BUNCH of Samsung Galaxy(ish) phones. My current phone is the Galaxy S3 which is OK, but it's not stable, the battery is garbage and it's too big for my liking. I have looked into custom firmware like Cyanogenmod, but it needs a restart every 24 hours to work perfectly (software does odd stuff if left on for days on end).

What I need is a phone that is:

- about the size of a playing card (taller maybe, but not any wider, thickness doesn't really matter)

- is durable/robust (I don't have to buy an otterbox, screenprotector, ect)

- battery lasts for more than 48 hours idle, or at least 4 hours of continuous use

- has some smartphone abilities - check web email, listen to mp3/flac files

I'm currently working construction - saving money for school & paying off old school debt, so it must be able to take a small beating.

Does anyone know of any phones that match the criteria above? I DO NOT need the "latest and greatest". A phone from the mid/late-2000s is fine by me, as long as it functions.

Thanks

EDIT:

MUST BE: North America (Canada) GSM phone

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda wish someone would release an e-ink smartphone that can take a beating and has 2+ week battery life, like a cross between this and a nokia bar phone.

It seems like this one would be perfect for you. A quick check shows that it is available fairly cheap. You have already said it worked well for you, and if you have a little bit of money you can spend you can nab a couple so that you have a replacement standing by. Dimensions seem right, you said it was durable enough for you and had good battery life, the page linked above says it can play mp3s, as well as give you web and email. I have found that if you have already figured out what works for you it is sometimes better to go with that than waste time/money/effort on trying to find an alternative.

I am waiting to see what Project Ara results in, and may go for the smallest size offered, and just get a big battery and keep an eye out for a keyboard module. If I need something before that I will either use something cheap/free or whatever has a qwerty keyboard. A little later I will use a Pyra if it fits all my needs.

Edit: If anyone has any recommendations for cheap, durable, small North American (T-Mobile would be best) fones with good battery life and a decent keyboard that folds or slides out of the side, with the display in landscape, please let me know. I mention landscape display so that the keyboard is comfortably wide. If there are alternatives that have a wide keyboard, display orientation doesn't really matter.

I keep editing this...

Anyway, all I really need to do is send text messages and make calls. If I can use Google hangout or whatever it is called, that would be nice, but isn't needed.

Hmm, quite similar to this one http://www.minideal.net/doogee-dg150-smartphone-waterproof-ip67-mtk6572w-android-4-2-with-3-5-inch-ips-screen.html at least the hardware is the same :)

Unfortunately it is really hard to say how reliable those "noname" phones are. 

When it comes to rugged phones the Sonim is the most trusted brand. CAT also have some interesting models  http://www.catphones.com/but as far as I can see they are Europe only.

yes, the Sonim seems much better, without possible doubt... however it's 650$ or so without a contract... guess it depend how much you value quality and whether you want to take a contract (and are lucky enough to be able to choose a Sonim where you live). and I'll try to get more informations before getting a no name phone, I've no idea how good/bad they are...

Doesn't have all the fancy smartypants features but the Nokia 3310 is almost indestructible has great battery life is fast, reliable and cheap. 

Nokia E72, you will love it as long as Opera Mini is enough for your web browsing need.

Yep, I'm posting this from my trusty old E71. The E72's basically the same iirc, except for a worse d-pad but a 3.5mm headphone jack rather than a crappy 2.5mm one on here, and a better (though still rubbish) camera. It can even play music in ogg or flac format using Folderplay, and mp3s quite well using the built-in music player.

i bought this one:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Dream

Modded Android 2.1 without Gapps to it(Gapps make the Phone more slow)

All Important Software work fine for me:

Telegram,

OperaMiniBrowser,

Weather App,

Tapatalk for Forums ;)

and many other small Apps.

There is a 3900Mah Accu Cell in mine and i must recharge it every 3-4 Days.

Aaand that was not too expensive.

There are a lot of Custom Firmwares out for it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-dream-g1

But beware its a slow Phone,not for Gaming.

For write Texts with SMS or Tapatalk or Telegram is it perfect ;)

Edit:

Mp3 and Videoplaying work fine on it with the right VideoResolutions ^_^

And when you ever need help to Optimize it,i will help you when you post or write a PM.

It has a real Hardwarekeyboard,which is perfect for Postings here and Email writing there.

Its stable,its fallen me a few Times about 1 Meters high on Stone and work fine.

Sony Xperia Mini Pro

Small, reliable, battery lasts for days, has a great keyboard, is fast on older android versions (4.something is also officially available and is fast enough) and root is done with just one click.

It's awesome!

Yep, I'm posting this from my trusty old E71. The E72's basically the same iirc, except for a worse d-pad but a 3.5mm headphone jack rather than a crappy 2.5mm one on here, and a better (though still rubbish) camera. It can even play music in ogg or flac format using Folderplay, and mp3s quite well using the built-in music player.
I advised the E72 because nowadays the price is similar and it has more standard ports: it can charge on microUSB and 3.5mm jack.

i bought this one:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Dream

There is a 3900Mah Accu Cell in mine and i must recharge it every 3-4 Days.
I can't imagine how thick this must be. I mean, I liked this phone a lot but it is already quite thick with the standard battery, this must be huge.

Some featurephones handle e-mails and music playing and they usually have a far better battery life than smartphones. The problem is that they're getting more and more rare, and they're no longer a priority so they aren't always of a very good quality. But you might be able to find a good one that will be tougher and cheaper than standard smartphones for a fraction of the cost.

EDIT: I second the Sonim recommendation. I've never used one so I don't know how good they really are, but I think they might have some models that fit your requirements.

Yes with a 3900mah Accu Cell is my Phone Thick like tha Pandora and lie wonderfull in the Hand while typing.

The Displaysize itself is around a Credit Card Size.

There was a few requiriments for me to buy this:

- Many Custom Roms

- Better Accucells to buy

- cheap Price

- Android

- Hardware Keyboard

- Video and MP3 Playing

- A Debian Linux exist for this Phone too and it have a Trackball which is Wonderfull as Mouse.

- and it have the more stable Mini USB Connector,not MicroUSB.

- a Port of FirefoxOS exist too for this,but i never tried it.

HTC Dream old,stable,slow and very good for me.

Thats because i recommend this old Phone.

Older Phones are mostly more stable than newer Phones.

There is a big drawback of the HTC Dream as a music player: no 3.5mm jack on that phone. You need either an adaptor or a bluetooth headset.

yes that is right,i have bought an such Audio Adapter for 2 Euro in Ebay ;)

Edit:

btw Snes Emulator work fine on it ;)

Back