"in fact most agree that a choice of sites is good"

Milkshake, your effect on the scene with this repo will be 100% positive. A handful of people won't get it at first, but that's only because they're not seeing the bigger picture. A new benchmark has been set and it's up to the official sources to follow suit.

A huge opportunity was missed with The Box, and now we're getting a second chance at it. If we let it pass by again, I give up, we might as well go Dingoo-style and upload half our apps to assorted hosts like Mediafire.

Well said, Gruso. I've never liked the File Archive or the Pandora Apps, and was hopeful that everyone would accept The Box, but so far I'm liking Milkshake's repo more than any of those. As long as the community recognizes that the bar has been raised, then the other sources will either need to adapt and improve or they will surely become neglected and eventually phase out. We seem to be off on a good start, with it already being hosted on the main Pandora server (I'm guessing). The Box never got that far.

was hopeful that everyone would accept The Box [...] The Box never got that far.
As far as I understand it, milkshake's repo is basically the box 2.0 - it uses the same repository specification that was since upgraded to fit the needs better.

The great thing about such a repository spec is that it doesn't really matter how many repositories there are - a good client program can do the priority sorting and load balancing and the hashes of a trusted repo can ensure that you won't get malware off the untrusted ones etc.

As far as I understand it, milkshake's repo is basically the box 2.0 - it uses the same repository specification that was since upgraded to fit the needs better.

well the generated output is based on dflmstr orignal spec, but this has been improved, the actual server side stuff is not an upgrade its more of a re-write of the box based on what it can do, since I can only know php (for server side stuff).

I really hope it makes a difference for pandora users and devs alike.

Seeing as Ed's hosting it I don't see why Craig can't do the decent thing with his App store and take it round back and shoot it in the face.

You want us to remove the only file archive which is up to date and contains every app?

Pandora apps is staying. I'm a fan of minimal simple websites with no space wasted.

Maybe you prefer to be scrolling all over the place with big empty areas of the screen, or maybe you just don't use the Pandora for browsing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as Ed's hosting it I don't see why Craig can't do the decent thing with his App store and take it round back and shoot it in the face.

You want us to remove the only file archive which is up to date and contains every app?

Pandora apps is staying. I'm a fan of minimal simple websites with no space wasted.

Maybe you prefer to be scrolling all over the place with big empty areas of the screen, or maybe you just don't use the Pandora for browsing.

Perhaps you should make it a bit more clear that Pandora Apps is designed specifically for the Pandora, then.

Perhaps you should make it a bit more clear that Pandora Apps is designed specifically for the Pandora, then.

Yeah, because obviously running at the Pandora resolution, being designed for a touch screen, only containing Pandora software and being called Pandora Apps isn't enough.

Yeah, because obviously running at the Pandora resolution, being designed for a touch screen, only containing Pandora software and being called Pandora Apps isn't enough.

Apparently not.

Indeed, not working with any of the pandora defaults browsers and not being pandora-dev friendly help to show how pandora specific it is.

1. the app-store doesnt contain every app, and some apps have copywrited images in use, and some apps were never intended to uploaded according to some devs.
  2. if you view my site on the pandora itself you can see there is no "big empty areas" all the space is used up.
  3. my current layout/design isnt nessacerially the final layout/design.
  4. my website was only half of the project making its content available for a native app manager was the other half *... goes and checks the tick box of features*

Indeed, not working with any of the pandora defaults browsers and not being pandora-dev friendly help to show how pandora specific it is.

Right, so Midori being shit is my fault? I'll think you find it works fine with any browser which supports basic html standards, and if you try it on the Pandora most apps can be grabbed in two/three clicks without scrolling or using the stylus.

Can't have it more simple than that.

Craig, what would be the cons of making PandoraApps adhere to the PND repository specification? You could keep all of those good outward things about it (the simple interface), while also allowing the existence of other file archives with different looks, because apps uploaded to one site would be available to others.

There must be negatives to switching, though, so I'd like to know what they are.

P.S. It's actually impossible for me to download anything from PandoraApps as a user of Links2 (the browser that I prefer to use on Pandora, because it's the fastest and best-made for Pandora's interface), because there's no option to "click here if your download doesn't start after 5 seconds".

P.P.S. Midori is a lot better these days. It's been fixed, can even play videos now (kinda).

It may contain every app but I ran Tempels PNdStore application yesterday and it updated 2 of my apps to later versions one of which I downloaded the day before.

Pandora Apps is useable at the moment but version control is more important and Milkshakes site and Tempels PndStore have got a good version control going on.

1. the app-store doesnt contain every app, and some apps have copywrited images in use, and some apps were never intended to uploaded according to some devs.
  2. if you view my site on the pandora itself you can see there is no "big empty areas" all the space is used up.
  3. my current layout/design isnt nessacerially the final layout/design.
  4. my website was only half of the project making its content available for a native app manager was the other half *... goes and checks the tick box of features*

I was comparing it to the old file archive, not your site.

Right, so Midori being shit is my fault?
no, but this is. (compare to this). Yes, producing valids HTML documents actually help to work with browser light on features...

Can't have it more simple than that.
You mean the upload process ? gosh, I fail to see how you could possibly made it more awkward and painfull to use....

Hope we're not going to descend into muck slinging :) I believe everything has its place, I also believe a lot of advancements have been made by the community which should be adopted across the board. I'm interested in answers to Esn's questions. Pandora Apps has its issues but the door is now open to resolving them, without relinquishing control of the site.

@Alerino - it was suggested in Tempel's PNDStore thread as a possible GUI. That's for a local application though, not web based.

Right, so Midori being shit is my fault?
Yes and no. Slaeshjag has already proven that Midori can be upgraded, and that it is 100% ACID3 compliant. The Pandora Apps site looks great in it. You're talking about how bad Midori is and want to replace it: if you had put half the effort into getting Midori updated as you did complaining about it and trying to find alternatives, it would be good by now.

Also, as has been said a few times now, someone pointed out ways around the problem a long, long time ago on the GP32X forum when you first opened it to beta, and you never took that advice.

Hey, guys, Lightweight2 doesn't exist? Forget the fact that it's still in development, it's a great browser!

Back