Interested In Being A Game Programmer...

I was going to reply to Butterman's rant on Python (nice netiquette you have there, turning someone else's devthread into a language rant because you made a mistake and are angry) but eh. I'd rather hear about what progress is being made between Gonzo and rlyeh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting to hear from Mr Gonzo about actually starting the Zombie game...

Sorry for being an ass guys. I was having a rant after spending a few hours having to use a language I didn't totally understand and not getting anywhere. No hard feelings :)

Anyway, if you guys want any programming help/advice I'm here :).

/offtopic

I love the sprites on the first page. I think these games are really awesome, I loved Metal Slug. I actually attempted to make a similar sidescroller, it fell apart after the artist stopped getting stuff done. I got quite far with the AI. Which is very interesting for a sidescroller and required lots of research. (Spending a few hours in front of MAME), so I'm here if you guys want any advice about how to implement the AI in code.

Hi all!
It's the 1st time I post here although i've been reading this forums for a long time now

I really loved the idea of the game and I decided to do a simple engine when I had time.
I started a week ago and i think i already have something i can show; i'll upload a video tomorrow.

Gonzo, if you like it could you please go on with the artwork?
Thanks in advance!

'jsmtux' said:
Hi all!
It's the 1st time I post here although i've been reading this forums for a long time now

I really loved the idea of the game and I decided to do a simple engine when I had time.
I started a week ago and i think i already have something i can show; i'll upload a video tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to the video, i'd love to see this project finally get off the ground.

edit: oh and welcome btw :)

'jsmtux' said:
Hi all!

Thanks in advance!
:)

Woah , i thought this thread was dead!

I've bin really busy lately.

Haven't really worked on it for a while,
Last conversation i had with rlyeh was about going for the vectorised alternative for the Graphics.

Think of castle crashers.

And iprice i'll contact you soon, we really have to get that thing started !

@jsmtux: Can't wait ! :)

Ok, here it is; as you can see it's like a pre-pre-alpha, but i couldn't do more in a week's time

please, tell me what you think:
CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH16yTBFCNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd43GUsq38M

'Mr.Gonzo' said:
Woah , i thought this thread was dead!

I've bin really busy lately.

Haven't really worked on it for a while,
Last conversation i had with rlyeh was about going for the vectorised alternative for the Graphics.

Think of castle crashers.

And iprice i'll contact you soon, we really have to get that thing started !

@jsmtux: Can't wait ! :)
Castle... Crashers :D :D :D

Only problem if it was similar to castle crasher's art style, my GF would never give me back the pandora haha.

That seems awesome though :)

'Mr.Gonzo' said:
Thats Good !
Whats your programming experience? ^^
Thanks!
About my programming experience...
I haven't done any big project really
sad.gif
I can program in C, C++(this game), pascal (from university, useless really) and a little python I learnt while doing the Blender exporter for an OpenGL 3D engine I've done.

I know it's not really encouraging and that you're currently working on another project so you're probably not really interested. But if you don't mind I'll go on using your artwork until I get something done; then, if you want to go on with the project you can do more artwork and tell me what do you want from the engine and, if you don't, I'll drop your artwork and either look for someone to make a completely new one or open source the engine along with a game editor so that anyone can make use of it.

Thanks in advance and excuse me if you don't understand something; my english is not that good!

I haven't done any big project really IPB Image I can program in C, C++(this game), pascal (from university, useless really) and a little python I learnt while doing the Blender exporter for an OpenGL 3D engine I've done.

You know what would be really nice? If someone would write a Blender exporter that emitted OpenGL ES *source code* that could just be plugged into render objects .. that would be nice. I've thought of doing something like this myself, but I don't have time to work out how Blender exporters work .. maybe this is something you want to try out?

Hi all!

I've been working hard recently with gonzo's artwork and I think i have something playable. This artwork won't be the final but i'm using it while i don't have a new one.

Please; if you use linux download the game and tell me if it works and what you think about it
CODE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F44NCMLR

@torpor: I know nothing about openGL ES and it would take me too long to learn because I want to finish this, but thaks for the idea anyway

'jsmtux' said:
Please; if you use linux download the game and tell me if it works and what you think about it
CODE
It actually doesn't work, I think it's because I'm using 64-bit and it's trying to load the 32-bit libraries.
So if you could compile a 64-bit binary or give the source code or something, that would make it easier to test.

'jsmtux' said:
Hi all!

I've been working hard recently with gonzo's artwork and I think i have something playable. This artwork won't be the final but i'm using it while i don't have a new one.

CODE
@torpor: I know nothing about openGL ES and it would take me too long to learn because I want to finish this, but thaks for the idea anyway

Hi jsmtux,
i can't choose weapons or shoot maybe because i have an azerty keyboard ?
good job

Well here is the source code:
CODE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y1H1TPLW

I didn't intend to upload it until I had finished a little more and I had commented it in english or at least translated it; but here it is.
You need SDL and SDL_image to compile it and simply do make and run it
Please remember it is in early stages of developement and has some errors!

@Qtpandora, i don't know why it happens; i'm using sdl to handle keyboard related things; try compiling it

Well it runs, and it looks pretty good.

I've noticed that after a while, the bullets I've already shot loop back to the beginning of the level, so it looks like someone is shooting at me from offscreen.
How are you handling the creation / removal of bullets?

Other than that, it's very well organized and everything seems to work.

'lulzfish' said:
Well it runs, and it looks pretty good.

I've noticed that after a while, the bullets I've already shot loop back to the beginning of the level, so it looks like someone is shooting at me from offscreen.
How are you handling the creation / removal of bullets?

Other than that, it's very well organized and everything seems to work.
Yes, you're right; i advertised it a little after I had uploaded it and it's already fixed.
Now, when bullets reach an edge of the window become no longer active.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Hehe i wish i had linux.

Looked at the libs and i like how you did the title , what font is that?!
I also notices that you only used a stretched version of the old concept animation i did , print screen much?? ouch!
I'll send you the libs by email.

Nail must be able to shoot in all directions too ^^.
I like how you can just code the guns over nail ... Less animation for me !
When i start working on the game again i shall do a sprite of nail with no arms when he has a gun armed.

Meh , Scratch that here it is for everyone to see !

CODE
http://www.2shared.com/file/5010747/bbf77f12/Nails_Adventure___pending_name__.html

There's even a little extra flash animation of nail that no one saw but me ;).
There's a little Metal Gear Vr Mission style tile in it , put that with a black background and you got yourself a nice multi purpose tile!

Here is another video of the progress:
CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-WVYjZv7qY

About the fonts, they are from "The day of the tentacle", but I think i got them from here CODE
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=6202

I'll use the new libs as soon as i download them

Yes, next thing I'll do is let Nail shoot in all directions; the only thing I don't know is if i'l rotate the sprites of the guns or make new ones.
Do you see any other thing the game needs? Otherwise I think i'm going to try to implement de "thing that shoots arrows with a cord attached" or however it is called :D

Back