Investors...

I'm also interested in investing, as long as that's possible while living in Germany. :)

Also interested. This is the kind of investing I'm actually interested in. The fund kind is too boring :)

But you have to live as well! Pay rent, food etc
Get used to eating ramen and eggs on a regular basis, live in a cheap one room apartment, and buy all your clothes from the salvation army. A year of that and I had enough to invest in a house and the savings have been growing ever since.

A friend of mine complains that he never seems to have any money to do anything, while he's drinking his latte from Starbucks following the subway he had for lunch wearing the shirt he bought off the internet yesterday playing the new game he just bought off Xbox live...

I am also interested. Although my wife would think me mad.

There have been problems with this project which has lead to confusion and on occasion the feeling that you've been lied to. Although that feeling comes out of the confusion, optimism and possibly an element of spin. Start ups like this aren't easy and dealing with foreign manufacturers isn't easy.

So like others have said we need to know EXACTLY what we are signing up for. Craig might find that he needs to be a little more open about what terms and conditions he's considering. I just say that as its inevitable that some that say they're up for this won't be able to after all OR won't feel comfortable with what they are signing up to when they finally see it in print/email.

I hope that everyone that's said they're up for this understands that there is an element of risk, that you might lose your money. But the rewards, especially of seeing Pandora growing and evolving is intriguing.

Yeah i could impulsively drop a thousand on this.I always liked this idea.Go ahead and set up an official investors section.

Emails whatevers needed.Dont let this topic go.I would just like to see the pandora succeed even more.

Great to see so many people interested in investing in the project.

Here are a couple of starter questions for Craig :

1) How much would you like to raise from community investment?

I know we could make a guess from the quote below but it would be good to hear a figure, and therefore be able to get a picture of your valuation of Open Pandora Ltd.

My thoughts are this: 100 investors maximum, with a minimum investment around $1000/£1000/E1000, with approx 25% of the OP Ltd shares on offer.

2) In general terms what would you use the money raised from community investment for?

And also a bit of advice / heartfelt plea, try and get ED to invest and get him on the board of directors ASAP.

I know this is very much at the planning stage so I'll hold back on the other 18 questions, for now. ;)

I would definitely be interested. Would obviously have to talk it over with the wife, but this is something I really believe in, and she would most likely get behind it as well.

I will invest if given the opportunity. $1000 is a worthy investment to a company who "gets it". You have my pledge. Just let me know when it will become available.

As said before however, get a lawyer (I know you already have one on call).

Wow, I have to say we didn't expect people to be so interested in this so soon. It's a good feeling for the team.

I know I have a lot of PMs from people about this - I'm not ignoring you, I've put them all in to a folder and will answer once we decide if we are going to do this.

I've got a meeting with our accountants about it soon, since it looks like this would indeed turn us in to a PLC due to the amount of interest we need to get it right.

There's a type of investment that I can't remember the name of right now but I'll definitely try to look up that is basically a bond, but instead of fixed coupons it pays out periodic flexible dividends. It gives you the money you need without any fear of losing control of the company, reduces the amount of information you're legally required to divulge making it easier on your accountant (although more information would help investors make a reasoned decision), and is a more stable and slightly less risky investment for the purchaser. Make it a 2 year maturity with automatic renewal so you don't get caught out having to pay back before you've recouped the money.

edit: preferred stock; a nonvoting, dividend paying, callable stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what Ive thought shouldve been done long ago. Its always been my opinion that if OPT had positive cash flow, instead of loans from the community, first batch wouldve been done long ago. This is much wiser IMO than preorders. As they say, money talks.... Its true, had the team had more financial clout, no doubt things wouldve happened more quickly. Ive personally been waiting for this. Id rather invest a sizeable amount, than preorder, and wait years. To me, that is more straightforward, and would help things along better. This team could be doing so much more with a proper budget. OPT needs to be able to throw their own weight around so to speak. It is a bit like building the delorean....but hey John Delorean did build his cars, had he made better decisions financially, ie: been more frugal, and Lotus didnt screw him left, and right, and he not got involved with selling a bunch of blow, it wouldve worked. he set his sights too big, too fast. I think it will help we dont have GM wanting us to fail. :lol: I dont think nintendo, M$, or sony will bat an eye at our linux device, either. Totally different intentions..at least at the moment. I want this project to succeed, and I dont want to change things from a R&D standpoint.

My best friend is an MBA, and has a consulting firm based out of LA. Ive talked him into helping out OPT pro-bono, at least for now. If you guys would like. He is someone who can help with setting this all up, and organizing it. Could be a real asset. Just putting that out there. An attorney as others have mentioned, is definitely a must, for a plethora of reasons. Ive been thinking about this for years, lets cross our t's, and dot our i's. Cant wait, I really believe in this project. Not to say their isnt still plenty of unanswered questions, but we'll cross those bridges when we get to them.

From the first message I got the impression you are looking for dragons-like investors with connections within the business, and that is not my case unfortunately.. But otherwise I am interested as well ;)

But you have to live as well! Pay rent, food etc

BosBeetle,

There are few people who are really hurting for money, but they exist out there. Most of us really aren't willing to sacrifice to save money. How much does a restaurant sized bag of rice, bag of beans, some veggies, and a few chicken breasts really cost for a couple months of food for one guy? Or even a family. It's not fancy eating, but done right it's nutritious, and filling, and very, very cheap. How much Vinyl have you purchased over the years, and would you be willing to do without new purchases for a year or two? Give up movies? Or give up electronic devices...like our own favorite gaming machine? Make little things like eating out a BIG treat instead of a weekly or even daily occurrence...

Some of us have jobs that pay enough that we don't have to sacrifice to save, but even there, plenty of us purchase silly things. The biggest house and biggest car - I'm an American, damn it - one can afford, in the best neighborhood that we can afford. No thought about what happens if the job doesn't pan out in a year or two...

It's possible to save for most, but most don't want it enough.

Now if you're already living like this, you're an exception, but it's either get a better job, or live BELOW your means if you want to save. (Technically, it's both.)

Edit: Damnable spelling.

I'd definitely look at a prospectus/business plan for this offering, it could have real potential.

I like Mr. Loons suggestions.

I'm interested, don't know for how much. I'll be watching for the official website and the details of the investment. And I hope the next couple rounds of part orders go well.

this truly is amazing how people want to jump in on this ship at the drop of a hat. this must be a proud moment for OPT especially after hearing a bunch of foul crap on the gp32x forums, some of it even deserved

Back