Iphone/ipod/ipad Os On Pandora?

The restrictions are all about them making more money, as well as some bizarre principles that carried over from Mac OS with respect to the limitation in customization that I totally don't understand, but primarily money.

paulguy said:
The restrictions are all about them making more money, as well as some bizarre principles that carried over from Mac OS with respect to the limitation in customization that I totally don't understand, but primarily money.

Those restrictions are the reason OSX can be considered "stable" and "malware free", the less customization and adaptability an OS has, the easier it is to keep problems under control. If users can't do anything besides what Apple wants them to do, then it's easier for things to go as intended.

It's like a one lane, single direction street that leads to a walmart, not really too much can go wrong for the majority of people who want to shop at walmart, but if you don't want to go to walmart you're shit out of luck, you're going to walmart anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those restrictions are the reason OSX can be considered "stable" and "malware free",

And the lack of those restrictions is why Linux is stable and malware free. Strange universe we live in, eh?

You have to believe. Apple users always believe that the system is malware free because its damn good. It has nothing to do with the fact that the number of installed OSes is low. That is only correct in the Linux case. Ahh, and the world was made by apple, don't believe this evolution crap. Holy shit!

torpor said:
Those restrictions are the reason OSX can be considered "stable" and "malware free",

And the lack of those restrictions is why Linux is stable and malware free. Strange universe we live in, eh?

A well confiured Linux installation may well be stable. I have yet to witness this. Every time i've attempted to install Linux on one of my machines, the result has been just as unstable, if not more so, than Windows on the same machine.

Still, if Pandora is as stable as the iPhone (which I guess is what you're implying ;)) then I'll be happy enough.

I wouldn't call iPhone os stable. Everything leaks memory. Pretty much any program sitting running for a while, including if you leave a tab open in safari, seems to gradually use more and more memory. So you can't exactly go by that argument in this case...

Pleng said:
torpor said:

A well confiured Linux installation may well be stable. I have yet to witness this. Every time i've attempted to install Linux on one of my machines, the result has been just as unstable, if not more so, than Windows on the same machine.

Still, if Pandora is as stable as the iPhone (which I guess is what you're implying ;) ) then I'll be happy enough.

I've been using Linux primarily at work for 5 years now on two different laptops. I had a little issue with Wifi and Cisco LEAP support in the begging. Other than that everything seems to work great. I've moved from Fedora 9 to 10 and currently using 11. At home I've been playing with different flavors of linux for over 12 years.. I've seen some flaky releases over the years.

paulguy said:
I wouldn't call iPhone os stable. Everything leaks memory. Pretty much any program sitting running for a while, including if you leave a tab open in safari, seems to gradually use more and more memory. So you can't exactly go by that argument in this case...
it cleans its own memory. i never shut down my iphone or reboot it, only if nessacary by some cydia upgrade. i think my record is no shut off in 2 months, and i need to charge my iphone every day because i use it very much.
when its low on memory and you launch an app, it makes memory available again. and ofcource with backgrounder and kirikae you can help cleaning out.

sold said:
Maybe Apple should consider adding a dual boot feature in the future so the people in the "I dont wanna feel like Steve Jobs has molested my wallet" demographic might part with their cash without feeling like their wallet has been molested by Steve Jobs. Personally. Ew.
Why? Why must Apple put these features into the iPhone? Why do you think you don't have choices? There are many other phones out there, you know, all with similar or better features. Phones that run some version of linux, phones that make it easy to install alternate firmware, phones that let you do basically anything you want with the phone.
Steve Jobs isn't restricting your choices, you are restricting your choices.

@WizardStan, I didn't mean to sound like I am complaining, I was merely stating that I don't agree with the way Apple lock down their hardware. I realize they aren't the only company that does this, but I referred to them as an example because the question "why do people dislike the iPhone OS?" was raised. I don't think it is right for companies to be allowed to bastardize tech that they don't even technically own and are not responsible for other than the form they designed around it in order to bastardize it. Having said that, I think for most consumers, the Apple range of products suits them just fine because they are user friendly and entertaining products.

EDIT: Why not add a dual boot feature? It couldn't hurt.

sold said:
EDIT: Why not add a dual boot feature? It couldn't hurt.
Yes it could. They make too much money via the app store to risk people using their hardware but not the app store.

I thought the Apple devices needed to be jailbroken in order to use openiboot and even then, it doesn't work on all generations of the iPhone/etc.

@WizardStan, I see your point, but it's still ok for them to allow Mac users to boot Windows in order to broaden their market share now that they have gone x86, while crippling the functionality of their ARM based devices it seems. And imo dual booting another operating system side by side with their own wouldn't mean that everyone would stop using the standard OS or the app store. It would just afford the relevant portion of their customer base some flexibility. People would still want games and apps for their phone/mp3 player/tablet thingy.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that there isn't any sort of exclusivity clause or something nasty forced on certain developers that are making apps for the app store, cause I would love to see an Android port of iRig. Is Pandora still gonna be able to run Android along side the stock OS? I remember seeing a video of an early port a while back and it would be totally sweet.

sold said:
@WizardStan, I see your point, but it's still ok for them to allow Mac users to boot Windows in order to broaden their market share now that they have gone x86, while crippling the functionality of their ARM based devices it seems.
They make pretty much all their money off hardware sales from the Mac. Once they've sold you the hardware, they don't really care too much that you continue to use their software.
They have a vested interest in making sure you continue to use their software on the iPhone though. You keep using it, you keep buying more apps, you keep giving them more money.
I still don't get it. Why do people want the iPhone to be more open when there are other choices immediately available?
It's kinda like saying "why doesn't Sony let us run homebrew on the PSP?" while staring directly at a Dingoo. Not exactly like it, but I hope you get the idea: arguing that something be changed when the thing that you want already exists. Why change the first thing? Just get the second thing that already does what you want.

I mostly want the openness because I got the iPhone when there were basically no other Cortex-A8 based devices and needed a new phone. Seeing as it was my only option against all the awful ARM11 based phones, I was basically stuck.

I hope the other manufacturers don't allow that to happen again... I'd be rather disappointed, though now that I have a jailbroken iPhone (and soon a Pandora) I'll be able to wait if the situation comes up again.

ashdjones said:
You can currently dual boot it with Android. The bootloader is openiboot.

hum, so trialboot? as in trials and errors?

WizardStan said:
It's kinda like saying "why doesn't Sony let us run homebrew on the PSP?" while staring directly at a Dingoo.

Perhaps some of those asking people don't like paying twice for similar devices? Or maybe they consider carrying two handhelds just to be able to run some GBA game or read an e-book between Tekken 6 sessions impractical?

Why can't people appreciate iPhone OS for the engineering or design?

The limitations Apple put on are configuration, not the limited ability of the OS. While not ideal, people who want the full range of options can just jailbreak. Everyone is happy right?

Apple are clearly more interested in making money though. They can argue that they limit power user features to keep the design simple, but this is clearly untrue.

If they were really bothered, they could make it possible for people to unlock the device in some kind of power-user mode and simply provide no assurances for functionality or stability (Microsoft do this with Power Toys). It really wouldn't be hard for Apple to add some kind of cheat-code style method to enable third party repositories, and add a pop up disclaimer saying 'Are you sure? You're on your own now!'.

Morn said:
Perhaps some of those asking people don't like paying twice for similar devices? Or maybe they consider carrying two handhelds just to be able to run some GBA game or read an e-book between Tekken 6 sessions impractical?
That's fine if you already own a PSP. The comparison is for those that have neither yet, but want to buy the PSP in order to run homebrew on it. They don't want it for Tekken 6 or whatever, they want to be able to run emulators or an ebook reader or whatever. In short, they say they want a PSP that can run homebrew when what they actually want is a Dingoo or Wiz. If they say "I wish it had a proper keyboard" as well then they actually want a Pandora. I hear so many people say "I want an iPhone, but only if I can run Android on it, or only if I can jailbreak it to run the apps that I want." Why not just get a Droid (or similar) then? Why must it be an iPhone?

WizardStan said:
Why must it be an iPhone?

It's a nicely designed object, especially the earlier models with a metallic back. Metal and glass is pretty classy compared to the mix of plastics you get with most gadgets.

In a ten or twenty years, people will collect them. Not the various models of iPod though (too much plastic).

Also, and I don't hear this stated in many places... the size and shape is just right. It's the first PDA type device that's exactly the right size to hold and use in one hand.

Back