Iphone OS on Pandora

skeezix said:
Symbian is a truly terrible OS (to use, and to code for.)

Stay away, and keep your soul :)

jeff

I recall some devs were discussing Symbian elsewhere, and they were very split about it.
While some found it all inheritally awkward, others had hopes it could all make more sense when the complete thing gets opensource by next year. Obviously the symbian used in smartphones today is mostly phone specific patchwork of older symbian versions.
I know not enough about it to have a strong opinion either way.

But the RiscOS mentioned in the other thread is really interesting stuff, since it's the original ARM based OS. Could be exciting if some of their developers joined the Pandora community.

Can we stick to talking about running Linux on the Pandora rather then talking about porting OSs that don't need to be ported. Maybe emulated but not ported.

Nope. :) Pandora is meant to be an Open source System, i don't see why that philosophy should be limited to Linux only. Alternate OS's are only a real alternative when they run natively. When nobody is doing it, of course it won't happen. But by whom would we like to be told what to talk about? Is that an open minded forum here or an orthodox linux cult?

MatthewMalone said:
Nope. :) Pandora is meant to be an Open source System, i don't see why that philosophy should be limited to Linux only. Alternate OS's are only a real alternative when they run natively. When nobody is doing it, of course it won't happen. But by whom would we like to be told what to talk about? Is that an open minded forum here or an orthodox linux cult?

+1

There should be no reason to run complicated OS versions on the Pandora.
If you like elements of another user interface, it should be much more efficient, from the CPU and hardware viewpoint,
to merely design the user interface to incorporate similarly designed nice bits.
Hopefully, the developers (us) will make tons of applications to run on Pandora.
Much will suck, but a rare few apps will be transcendant.
We will vote with our SDHC cards.
The cream will rise.
I cannot wait...

Anyone knows if Apple apps could run on Pandora? (without porting them)

The OS would need to be virtualized on the Pandora which is not feasible for something as heavy as OS X. And running OS X would be a violation of their EULA. Apple's APIs are proprietary and I don't know of a compatibility layer for them, especially for ARM.

The iPhone is using an ARM processor, too afaik.
Something like an emulator isn't possible then, is it?

Even with iPhone's OS, it uses multi-touch features which are not supported by Pandora's touch screen. And it would be in violation of Apple's EULA of course. And same CPU architecture does not mean exact same hardware.

I thought this thread was done at post no.3. :confused:

MatthewMalone said:
Aah, very true Grasshopper. So, if Pandora is open source, and you have right to talk about that philosophy, WTF are you guys talking about iPhone OS. OS from company that even locks out developers. Go hit your head against rock until there is winner.

Indeed. If I had to use iPhone OS for some awful reason I would jail break it immediately by any means necessary. I'm still irritated at Apple for marketing iPods, an annoying device that does not present itself as a storage device, intentionally breaks compatibility with free software iTunes alternatives, etc. The reason it irritates me is because younger, gullible relatives fall for their ads and when they get the device it is a pain getting songs on it in Ubuntu. (There is no way I will EVER EVER allow them to use Windows or especially iTunes on my computer I let them use when they visit. They would have malware in three seconds on it.) I had respect for Apple when they were using non-x86 cpu cores in their desktop machines but I have completely lost all respect for them these days.

ashdjones said:
I mostly use PCs and Windows, but I have a fairly old Mac at home that I use when I feel like I don't want to fight against anything.

You must have a Mac made by a different company then me.

I have an iBook, and it's the most infuriating piece of computer hardware I have ever used.

fakename said:
You must have a Mac made by a different company then me.

I have an iBook, and it's the most infuriating piece of computer hardware I have ever used.

I have the ibook and (touch wood) its been perfect for what 3/4 years now never a single issue with it, now the 2 or 3 home PC's I have had in that time have needed frequent (maybe 1 each) reinstalls of XP, edits of registries and other stuff like that.

I started this thread for a couple of reasons to get people thinging about just how good an OS OSX is(I appreciate its closed source and thats not good but that from the average users point of view it just works) I also understood it couldnt actually be ported but i do feel the quality of it is something that should be aimed for with Pandora.

This doesnt need to be a thread on Apple vs Open source As we can all accept that what Apple want tto do is up to them and if we like what they do we should buy Apple stuff and if we dont we wont.

Now lets get back to a couple of things on the Pandora Firstly the 'links' on iphone being all lined up with graphical representations would be great as would the ability to hold your finger on screen and see the apps start to shake so you can then move their order or delete them from the system.

That for me is one thing that should clearly be learnt from the iPhone OS and there are other lessons that even without the multi touch on pandora, moving from one screen to the next by dragging the 'screen' left or right for example.

Sure, there are things that can be integrated into Pandora's version of GMenu that are taken from Apple (as long as they're not protected). That's deviating too far from the thread's topic though. Let's try to stay in the general vicinity of "iPhone OS on Pandora".

The OP's question has been answered and there's not too much more to discuss, but I'll leave the thread open in case there's anything else to say on the subject.

I took a look at the ACCESS Linux Platform (mentioned above), and it seems to be commercial (not open-source). That would be a complete deal-breaker.

Vorporeal said:
Sure, there are things that can be integrated into Pandora's version of GMenu that are taken from Apple (as long as they're not protected). That's deviating too far from the thread's topic though. Let's try to stay in the general vicinity of "iPhone OS on Pandora".

The OP's question has been answered and there's not too much more to discuss, but I'll leave the thread open in case there's anything else to say on the subject.

I took a look at the ACCESS Linux Platform (mentioned above), and it seems to be commercial (not open-source). That would be a complete deal-breaker.

I am the OP, as I said I knew we wouldnt be able to port it over but thought it would(and has to an extent) start some conversation around what we could learn from the Apple Iphon/touch OS.
It seemed to be getting into a bit of an Apple policy discussion so i was trying to bring it back, Whats your thoughts on if Gmenu should take the 'hold to reorder/delete icons' process?

I think it would be one way of going about it. The other (obviously) would be to have a part of the GMenu configuration utility which allowed you to reorder icons.

Recalling the PXML discussions on the old boards, I'm not sure how feasible it would be though (at least, moving items between categories and not just between spots in one category). It was an XML based file that defined the basic information for an application that the GUI would read in and use to determine placement in the menu structure. It would be difficult to move icons between categories if the category is defined in the PXML file (it would have to be edited whenever an icon was moved significantly).

Back