IS GP32 really that good? help me out

Kenny

Still Fresh
The other day, I was about to buy a gba sp. I was searching around the web for reviews of it then found out about the GP32. I read lots of reviews about it, and now, I wan't to buy it. I'm gonna order one from LIk- Sang. I live in Australia.

I have a few problems.
Q. What do i need to play movies and mp3 on it? SMC? is that it?

Q. If I wanna play snes, nes etc games on it, do i need to do something first? Can't I just get a snes emulator from da comp and play on it?

I'd appreciate it if you people help me out. Thnx

Q. What do i need to play movies and mp3 on it? SMC? is that it?

You need a smart media card, don't even think of buying a GP32 without getting yourself at least one 128MB SMC.

For MP3's, the player is built-in. For movies, you need to buy a $5 program called Movie Park from JoyGP. Only trouble is they stopped selling it, or will soon? Nobody knows why yet.

Q. If I wanna play snes, nes etc games on it, do i need to do something first? Can't I just get a snes emulator from da comp and play on it?

You need to download the emulator you want to use, then load it onto your SMC as well as some game ROMs to play.

It sounds like you may mean an SNES emulator on your PC, like ZSNES etc. If that's what you meant, then no - GP32 isn't a PC and cannot run PC apps natively. People seem to think that sometimes, so be careful. GP32 is very different, it's based on an ARM9 CPU and is a unique system to itself.

Also, SNES emus aren't too great yet. The newest SNES9xGP is a good start, but it's still slow and limited. NES emus are coming along well, and we should soon have some very fast ones. Little John and NesterGP are the best right now. Other emus to check out are GPengine (plays PC-Engine games, these are NOT PC games BTW, they're great console games), CaSTaway (Atari ST computer, good stuff), SMS32 (Sega Master System & Game Gear, NOT Genesis), fMSX32 (MSX & MSX2 computers), Atari 800 (the great old Atari computers), Frodo (Commodore 64 computer). There are more, but that's a start.

Good luck. And read the FAQs. ;)

Thnx alot. You're a great help. I hope they make better snes emu's real soon cause I'm eager to wait for it to come.

And again, thanx
It's pity they're not gonna sell the movie park anymore, or else I'd buy the GP32 for sure

You can pre purchase movie park now and until 15th July and then download it at a later date (I think that's until 15th August). Therefore if you order your GP32 now you may be able to get the software before the deadline. Plus I am sure it will pop up on the likes of KAzza/Souseek P2P sites, if not already.

DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG DONT GET IT FROM LIK SANG

Unless you wanna pay an extra AU$80 bucks in import costs like i did

He's not kidding - Australian customs keep an eye out for Lik-Sang stuff. Actually, I think they don't...I'm pretty sure they label their parcels 'video game products' or something, and customs just nab it. ALL other HK stores I know of and have ordered from label their things 'Gift', and it gets through them without a hassle as long as it doesn't exceed the value of AUD$1000 (I think). It's a pain really. But it's still well worth getting from somewhere else!

I own both a GBA-SP and a GP32 and the GBA-SP just sits there. Really, it does. And I bought it well after the GP32!

Lik-sang cost me £30 here in england....the box might have well have had make 'em pay customs written on it when it arivved. However you can only really get it from lik-sang if you live in OZ so just grin and bare it I say....it'll be worth it in the end.

i was going to buy it from lik sang but my older and wiser brother told me a scare story about import costs and such. i got from gbax. that was a good idea it was fast (as i live in ireland) it came with a neat screen protector and a cd packed with emus, games, demos and dev kits.

good job craig i'd say best bet i'd be gbax if ordering from europe

gbax would be the best bet, heard nothing but good, and seeing as though its run from one in the gp32x community, and not from a large company, should be good service as well =)

i was going to buy it from lik sang but my older and wiser brother told me a scare story about import costs and such. i got from gbax. that was a good idea it was fast (as i live in ireland) it came with a neat screen protector and a cd packed with emus, games, demos and dev kits.

THIS IS SWEET. B)

Nice job with the post prophet, with all the "not"s in your post, it's impossible to misunderstand you

I heard that you have to pay to download somethin from the net to your smc card. IS this true?

to play movies on the gp32 you must pay the company (forget the name ^^;) which will then let u download the software.

I'm in australia and i was gonna buy the gp32 from liksang cause of the $10 off but if im gonna get hit by a $80 import fee its not worth it :( i got hit for $100 fee when i got a old mac laptop from usa sent 2 me thats just a ripoff stupid goverment wanting more money !@#$%^&

:blink: umm yeah try 1 of the other stores play asia is about the same price dont know about gbax tho or is that gbx?

:ph34r:

Darn! I new that was gonna happen. YOu got hit by a 80$ import? Geez. Why won't they just release the damn superior handheld worldwide. They'll make tons of money (literally).

If you haven't ordered it yet we can order it together and I'll pay half the shipping fee. If you have :eek: , damn! Is there anyone else who live in Australia and gonna buy a gp32?

Kenny posted on Jul 3 2003 said:
Why won't they just release the damn superior handheld worldwide. They'll make tons of money (literally).
No they wont look at the success of the PS2 junk system with sequel after sequel of licence flogging (some good titles admittedly) and ppl lap it up in their thousands. Compared to XBox + GameCube the Superior consoles are bombing in comparison. Right the way back to Betamax Vs. VHS and probably further. Ppl en mass like what advertising tells them to like. Thus GBA-SP would kill the GP32 with out breaking a sweat.

Last edited by a moderator:
nah i havent ordered yet i think swissman got his with $80 import fee

but i dont think you get it cheaper if you get 2 sent i dont think they will do a bundle

but i just checked out gbax.com

and it cost $252 AUD then whatever the shipping price ontop of that is depends what u select

:ph34r:

Back