It reminds me of the Pandora!

And here's the picture documenting the problem:
Qwb57jAqCYxc7jx

Looks to me a little like a storm in a teacup. I mean for sure it's appreciably brighter but it doesn't look offensively bright to me, even in a dim room. And in a completely dark room, the main screens going to kill your night vision anyway.

Edit: FWIW, that on the left is a GPD Micro PC, and top right is an F(x) tek pro 1 (not pro 1 X), and obviously bottom right is an upside down Pyra.

No, that photo was posted by ED on the mailing list. Two problems are being discussed at the moment, battery charging (which just at the moment might not be anything to do with heat, but it's still slightly unclear to me), and the backlight minimum power.

Edit: Yeah, the before/until confusion seems to be an error that ED makes quite often. He's quite good at stopping to think and picking the right one when he makes a forum topic these days, but evidently it's still not automatic for him when he's knocking off a quick email. When you think about it, the two terms are quite difficult to distinguish even in English; they both mean something happens before a specific date. It's just that until kind of suggests a continuous action that happens between now and the specified date, while before or by means it ought to happen once between now and the date. In most cases, it's pretty obvious if something is continuous or not, so having two words for a very similar thing is kind of excessive.

Last edited:
I'm sure I recall the discussion going around the LEDs being "super bright" ones, and that the keyboard LEDs were by far the biggest drain on the battery. ED was saying that he didn't think that it needed to be so bright, and only needs for the lights to be visible in an averagely lit room. Although I thought that using PWM pretty much any brightness is attainable, so I didn't think it was a problem in the end anyway... although I only skimmed, and I have only lamen's knowledge of the matters.

ED made a comment along the lines of the keyboard LEDs can take up to 0.75A, which he expressed as being similar to the amount of power the entire Pandora took. But that's on full brightness.

PWM can be adjusted to any brightness if your circuitry is analogue in design, but in our case it's digital. We still have 2**16 levels avaialble, which is mapped linearly on to a 1-100% (plus 0% for off) scale, which by my maths means there are 655 levels between 1% and off available if the mapping were changed, but then the conversation spawned loads of discussion about flickering and evenness which has resulted in 27 messages so far, which isn't quite as many as the 43 messages that the battery charging issue has generated thus far, but still more than half the mailing list messages I've received this week.

It'd be interested in seeing Venture running under MAME on that screen. On the Pandora the screen response made the red player dot in the map screen basically invisible when it was moving. I guess a video would make that easiest to see.

It'd be interested in seeing Venture running under MAME on that screen. On the Pandora the screen response made the red player dot in the map screen basically invisible when it was moving. I guess a video would make that easiest to see.
1604596272365.png

That game?
Post automatically merged:

Ah ok but ditnt whe also had a Debian Text Editor? (I can remember it was Notepad or something)
Sublime Text is a closed source text editor that was very popular among developpers before VSCode came and became more popular.
Of course there are many stuff on Debian (like Mame from the "Venture" screenshot I just did), but that point was to run things that goes beyond a simple "sudo apt install ..."

Ah ok but ditnt whe also had a Debian Text Editor? (I can remember it was Notepad or something)

Sublime Text is a "professional" editor, it has advanced functions especially for programmers, and is more comparable to GVim / Emacs / Visual Studio Code (etc...), than to a basic "Notepad-like" editor.
If you need an editor to just write or substitute some text in a file, you'll have no use for it.

That's the game, although you'll need to leave that room to get to the map view, and move the avatar at the same time as you're taking the shot if you intend to prove it using a screenshot. I'm not sure you have enough hands to hold the camera and press the shutter at the same time as pressing the d-pad on the Pyra, but I'm not sure what your set up is. But yeah, it's certainly the right game.

Sorry for annoying,
For me a text editor is also quite important because I have my Preeorder Code on a TXT file
I can understand that some of the coding project are just to see what works
Not every thing have to be useful

Send from something, i guess ^^

Reactions: rSl
That's the game, although you'll need to leave that room to get to the map view, and move the avatar at the same time as you're taking the shot if you intend to prove it using a screenshot. I'm not sure you have enough hands to hold the camera and press the shutter at the same time as pressing the d-pad on the Pyra, but I'm not sure what your set up is. But yeah, it's certainly the right game.
1604597855673.png

I'm moving and the red dot is perfectly visible (I'm moving on that screenshot here).

Yep, that's you against the left hand external wall I assume. That's certainly excellent news, thanks! Looks to me more than 1 pixel there to me, maybe 4 but that's probably an artefact of the scaling to a higher resolution than the Pandora had.

I'm not sure how many lines the game had on arcade, but I'd guess 240. That would mean on Pandora it's already scaled 2x to match up with the 480 lines that screen has, and the Pyra has 720 lines which is 3 times the supposed original 240.

Yep, that's you against the left hand external wall I assume. That's certainly excellent news, thanks! Looks to me more than 1 pixel there to me, maybe 4 but that's probably an artefact of the scaling to a higher resolution than the Pandora had.

I'm not sure how many lines the game had on arcade, but I'd guess 240. That would mean on Pandora it's already scaled 2x to match up with the 480 lines that screen has, and the Pyra has 720 lines which is 3 times the supposed original 240.
Yep, it's against the wall, because ... as you said, I only have 2 hands.

As far as the scaling: I don't know :). I just did "sudo apt install mame" then launch mame using gl4es, et voilà... So yeah, probably *3 scale from 320x240 -> 960x720.

and sublime text turns out to be a shareware closed source text editor from my own research.
Shareware is not quite correct, this is a WinRAR-style sort of thing. You can download the full version for free if you don't mind getting bugged by a popup that suggests buying a license.

As a former long time sublime text user i'll tell you this:
Everyone looking for the best and free and open source code editor should go for vscodium.com and stop looking.

It's the open source part of visual studio code without the microsoft telemetry.

Y'all can thank me later.

Back