It's the details that take longest (Part 1)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Things seem to slow down (with less blog posts I do), and that's true in a way, but untrue in another.

Yes, progress has slowed down - which is normal for a product. The first 90% of development are fastest, from then on, it's only the details that remain... and those take longest.

We're now in that stage.

But while visible progress slows down, the actual background work is more than before, and hasn't slowed down a bit.

It's quite a lot of things to tell you about, and surely a lot to discuss about as well.

So I'll do one post per day now for the next few days with small snippets :)

Let's start with...

1. The Case

The case company is currently tweaking all the issues I found (stylus didn't hold, speaker area needs to be finished, shoulder buttons need improvement (and an alternate design should be created for testing), battery compartment needs to be changed to fit the new battery, some areas need to be modified so that the LCD cable can fit, etc.)

I've created quite a list (including pictures and explanations what they need to be aware of when designing those areas)... and whew, that really took quite a while.

You need to think ahead of all issues that could occur and explain upfront what needs to be done to prevent that.

I can't wait to receive the next case update - it should be pretty close now to the final version!

2. The Keymat

The keymat sample we got was working fine (and felt fine), but the material was not diffuse enough so you could see the LEDs clearly below.

I'm getting more keymat samples with more diffuse material soon.

No layout discussion from my side until everything is mechanically ready :)

3. The Stylus

I've got an offer from Elton to create Pandora / Pyra-versions of the XStylus - but I'm not sure yet whether we should use it or not.

I personally am fine with the stylus we got for the Pandora and have used the XStylus for the Nintendo DS, but it's not more comfortable for me, only a bit flakier.

The Pyra XStylus would use a new nylon material which doesn't break as easy, so it should be better than the NDS XStylus.

What do you think? Would you prefer an XStylus as default stylus or a solid one like in the Pandora?

That's it for today.

More stuff will follow tomorrow :)

Would using the XStylus break the bank on production? , Personally never used one myself so I could take either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never used an X-Stylus either.

I don't use the stylus too much on Pandora, now and then, but tend to just use nubs to move cursor to focus points.

They look a bit fragile, which for me probably wouldn't be an issue but some might use them more and break them [unless they're made strong/flexible?]

I'm easy, if it's going to boost the overall price tag of Pyra, I'd be just fine with the Pandora style one ...with a hidden screwdriver within it please, nudge nudge wink wink, thanks

1. The Case

I've created quite a list (including pictures and explanations what they need to be aware of when designing those areas)... and whew, that really took quite a while.

You need to think ahead of all issues that could occur and explain upfront what needs to be done to prevent that.
Funny, I did the same for myself and I'm sure my list for case improvements is even longer than yours. ;)  The Pandora Case also has some empty, unused space that could be used better for the Pyra (more rounded edges for example, more elegant design here and there).  And don't forget to eliminate al lthese sharp and rough edges, they hurt even when you just look at them. ^^"

X-Stylus is a nice concept and I prefer styli as long as possible, but it seems not that practical because the X-Stylus was to fragile and "wobbley" in practise.  IF this can be eliminated then I could see that design as a good alternative.

So or so I would like to have a bigger Stylus for the Pyra then we got for the Pandora.

My XStylus broke after few weeks of medium use. I'm fine with the pandora one. Maybe a little longer and bigger in diameter would be nice.

If Xstylus, and production is pyra-specific. Could the part that isnt nylon be made out of metal and include a hex nut for the screws? (or torx which i imagine is a bit trickier to do) Hoping that doesnt ruin wireless.
4.jpg
0722301549711_001.jpg

That one looks nice and sturdy. Costs 25-30 dollar, but a non-capacitive one i imagine is cheaper.

The one below just looks flimsy.

xs-620x.jpg

My X- Stylus is fine, but as it isnt realy a increse of lengt to the normal Stylus so i would prefer a normal type Stylus on the Pyra,

As long it is a bit longer than the normal Pandora Stylus, im fine whit it..

I prefer the X-stylus (until it breaks) to the DS stylus, mainly because it's longer when extended, so the stylus can rest like a pen between my fingers on the skin between my thumb and first finger, wheras the DS stylus doesn't reach that far and I have to actively hold it at the right angle using my fingers. But the Pandora stylus is also long enough to fit my hand comfortably.

The X-stylus also is wider than either the DS stylus or the Pandora one when locked into place, at least if held the right way round. I'm also not convinced how much of a benefit that is to be honest - I've never felt the Pandora stylus gives me any lack of control (except that the tip of mine has rather flattened at one angle due to hours of Picross, and using such a large surface is less accurate - I turn the stylus round to use the pointy surface if I need pixel accuracy, though I try not to do that for long or very hard to avoid scratching the screen protector any worse than it already is).

... so the stylus can rest like a pen between my fingers on the skin between my thumb and first finger ...

The "thenar space", or "adductor pollicis", I can't tell for sure. One of those though  :)

I didn't know, so wanted to find out. That was all, just sharing the knowledge, please carry on...

My only gripe with the pandora stylus is the tip. The tip on the 3DS line of styli is much smoother and slides much better on the screen, and would much rather have something like that for the Pyra. Otherwise, I'll just use my 3DS stylus on the pyra as well.

... so the stylus can rest like a pen between my fingers on the skin between my thumb and first finger ...

The "thenar space", or "adductor pollicis", I can't tell for sure. One of those though  :)
 Since we're being curious, I'm pretty sure adductor pollicis is 'inward-moving muscle of the thumb' - the one that moves it towards the other fingers. It's the name for one of the things in there, not the overall structure.

As for thenar space I sort of suspect something similar: apparently the thenar is the whole group of muscles at the base of the thumb; so maybe the thenar space is simply the gap left by the absent muscles when you're looking at a skeleton? Anyone with training in anatomy in the house?

I'd prefer a solid stylus myself.
Note that the XStylus *is* solid for as long as you don't "open" it. In a "closed" position it works and feels just like a regular stylus.

So the real question is - how much would it increase the price? If it's just a few $, then I doubt anyone would object.

I use the Pandora stylus all the time and I have no complaints about it. It doesn't scratch the screen or feel uncomfortable so I'd be happy with something like that.

1&2 Case & Keymat:

These are tightly combined in one point - will the space bar be double wide where we've seen it, or will it be split or movable to center (for example)? I know you don't want to take sides in the keyboard debates, but this is a major mechanical bit that would make a large difference in what can or can not be designed.

3 Stylus:

Skip the X-stylus. Make the stylus solid stainless steel with replaceable plastic tips. Length in the stylus isn't as important as giving it a bit of heft and feel. IMHO

Thanks for the update, a post everyay, nice!

I don't really need a stylus so...  I'd prefer a classic stylus because it's more sturdy so that I could use it as a weapon.

Also no metal part please it will add some weight to the device, wait... a metal weapon would be more effective but I still prefer the Pyra lighter.

Back