July Is Here - When Will It Be Released

craigix said:
It should be made clear that the boards will be ready long before that, which we are willing to ship out first if you are willing to be careful with them and take responsibility for any breakages.

Great to see OpenPandora offering things that there's (visibly been been) a demand for :)

Gruso said:
I'd love to play with an early board, but it's too easy for a stray static discharge to do damage. I'll wait.

I'm with you there.

notaz said:
Don't get overexcited, there is not that much you can do with a bare board.

Cynic! (I admit that it occurred to me too though!)

Ta

Last edited by a moderator:
Loonie said:
fusion_power said:
Well, I think the biggest mistake during development of Pandora was to put the Case at the very end of the Process. Well, it makes sense but more parallel-Development maybe results in faster Development. I still remember the "story" in the past, where the devs sayd, that the case itself will be the smallest problem of the entire Project and can be done within a few weeks...something like that AFAIK... :D :D :D
I always prayed not to put the final Case that far after the PCB development because I and we all know that there are ALWAYS problems and it is better to spot this problems as soon as possible.

You can't design the case until you know what it is you're encasing.
I KNOW this (important) fact. ;)
Of course you have to design the case around an existing (and final) PCB... BUT you could at least explore the critical parts of this construction before the PCB is final, like how will the hinge work, what mechanics are needed to fit all together...
I know there are alot of changes after the first Case-renderings, the Battery size/place/cover for example and so on...
AFAIK, the Hinge is one of the last things (D-Pad too?), that have to be set right onto the case. I don't know if there can be used, existing, proved and solid hinge-designs and techiques but maybe there was room for speed up things here and there. So when the final Case is in sight, they could just use their pre-designed Hinge-structure...
Of course I don't have a clue how such things really can be optimized but who can say this at all? ^_^

83279_bored_bear.jpg

A bare board, yesterday

I think that for the final tweakage of the d-pad you at least need a board, keymat and prototype case. Not something that could be done before. Even with the prototype keymat it couldnt be tested because of its stiffness. I think the team went a sensible route and wants to be proud of the endproduct instead of slightly fine with it.

atomicthumbs said:
(also, whoever is pressing the "remove reputation" button on all of CraigIX's posts shouldn't do that. he is not deserving of -32 reputation)
It must be a script that lowers his rep by 1 every day that the Pandora is delayed... but don't worry Craig, there's only about 60 days in about two months. ;)

Xian Long said:
Asmo said:
fischju2000 said:
no way to display anything without another TV cable

TV cables, whatever happened to them?
mweston is working on them. they will be done before the pandoras start shipping.

It's a cable with some connectors either end. What's to work on?

From the official Blog, ED said on June 12th:

The TV Out cable design is also finished and a prototype can be produced within five days.

And here Craigix commented:

Everything is coming together.

Excellent.

I realise ED said a prototype can be made in 5 days, not 'will', of course....

greendots said:
Are there additional LCD cables available if they are broken during assembly (at my cost)?

+1

Some of the 'replacement parts' like these should be made available ASAP - I'm sufficiently paranoid to invest in a few, and they'd provide an invaluable revenue stream.

Loonie said:
You can't design the case until you know what it is you're encasing.

You design the case and then design the PCB to suit the case. Of course if you then don't have space for the chips on the board then you're stuffed.

It will take as long as it takes. Im quite happy to wait for a properly tested reliable unit. If this means back end of the year then so be it.

Ralph said:
It will take as long as it takes. Im quite happy to wait for a properly tested reliable unit. If this means back end of the year then so be it.
I'm coming to the end of my tether in waiting, its no threat, but i'm waiting till end of september before getting my money back, i dont care if its the 30th september and they say its coming within 2 weeks, i want the finished unit in my hands, like someone said we all have our dates and i think year and half wait is plenty long enough, i think the wait is harder when you have laid money down.....until then i'll use my wii/ds/giz/xbox for emulation.....just hope to have portable amiga emulation in my hands sooner rather than later..

Asmo said:
From the official Blog, ED said on June 12th:

The TV Out cable design is also finished and a prototype can be produced within five days.

And here Craigix commented:

Everything is coming together.

Excellent.

I realise ED said a prototype can be made in 5 days, not 'will', of course....
ED mentioned in the german board something, that the Prototype Cable and the new, fixed Keyboard matts are shiped together to MWeston to save some money. This could be the Reason why MWeston still waiting for the Cable. I just asked ED because MWeston mentioned some time ago, that he is awaiting the TV Cables to make some (destructive) tests to check the Quality...
I hope he will get his Prototype soon, can't wait to see the Cable. :)

jaycee900 said:
Ralph said:
I'm coming to the end of my tether in waiting, its no threat, but i'm waiting till end of september before getting my money back, i dont care if its the 30th september and they say its coming within 2 weeks, i want the finished unit in my hands, like someone said we all have our dates and i think year and half wait is plenty long enough, i think the wait is harder when you have laid money down.....until then i'll use my wii/ds/giz/xbox for emulation.....just hope to have portable amiga emulation in my hands sooner rather than later..

Jaycee i know the estimates for release where a little "ambitious" but you've waited this long why not wait a little longer. Im sure when you've got that Amiga emu running all the waiting have been worth it. :) I myself am looking forward to the Amiga ;)

I am willing to wait for the full Pandora, but it's nice to know that Craigix is willing to send just the board to those who want it, like some other devs who didn't get a dev board. I do want to chime in though, to encourage everyone to be patient, because good things come to those who wait. We all knew going in that by pre-ordering, there was no guarantee on the ship date. Also, let's not forget that these delays are not caused by Craigix and co, but are caused by people that Craigix and co have to rely on to finish the device. A project this ambitious is bound to run into these sorts of problems.

Everyone just hang in there, and play some emus on your PCs for now. Your reward is coming very soon...

Craig, if anyone cancels their order, just make a posting about it, and the order will be snatched up quickly by a more patient person, I'm sure.

You know... when I read "July," I instinctively thought of it as "Late July, maybe early or mid August," considering all the parts of the process that were involved and not yet fully completed.

Either way, it's not unreasonable, considering everything's a first-time estimate to begin with, and the fact that nothing ever goes smoothly without a fountain of magical endless money.

SirAileron said:
Either way, it's not unreasonable, considering everything's a first-time estimate to begin with, and the fact that nothing ever goes smoothly without a fountain of magical endless money.

November 2008 was a first estimate.

I can't be bothered to count back how many estimates there have been since then, but I really don't see how July could have been considered a 'first estimate'.

Pleng said:
SirAileron said:

I can't be bothered to count back how many estimates there have been since then, but I really don't see how July could have been considered a 'first estimate'.

It was the "first time" that Craig estimated July? ;)

Monk said:
Pleng said:
SirAileron said:

It was the "first time" that Craig estimated July? ;)

So we only have 10 months to wait for the second estimate?

Back