Just a really wierd idea ;)

I must say that I'm surprised by the enthusiasm towards this idea, when there are members among us who acknowledge that they can't even treat existing newcomers with respect, and think that they are the "victims" and thus entitled to "blow up" when newcomers ask questions typical of newcomers.

What do you think would happen if it appeared on an internationally-aired television show, exactly? ;)

Are you really so surprised? It's not like this is a question that's been asked scores of times before for which one could find several answers by using the search function...

But really it's gotten an enthusiastic response because the show strikes a chord with many of us here. Would this realistically happen? Of course not. It's beyond the scope of the show. No matter how "geeky" it's supposed to be, it's still a comedy, and the show still has to be accessible to a general audience. Showcasing an obscure device made by an obscure company running a somewhat-obscure OS isn't going to work. Don't get me wrong: I'd LOVE to see it make an appearance, even if none of the dialog or focus of the episode were on it.

Which internationally-aired TV show? I'd die if I saw it on something like Top Gear.

I must say that I'm surprised by the enthusiasm towards this idea, when there are members among us who acknowledge that they can't even treat existing newcomers with respect, and think that they are the "victims" and thus entitled to "blow up" when newcomers ask questions typical of newcomers.

What do you think would happen if it appeared on an internationally-aired television show, exactly? ;)

I think that'd we'd learn quickly how to deal with people.

Penny finds Sheldon's Pandora he just received in the mail and proceeds to try to force her DS game cartridges into the SD slots, eventually trying a hammer. She ultimately tells Sheldon his DS is broken and the games are stuck, then he rampages about the fact is was a rare machine in limited quantities. She then spends the rest of the episode giving Sheldon every type of handheld game she can find to buy to make up for it, although none will suffice. Add some subplot with Howard and his new fiancee and another great half hour of comedy is in the books, then people look up the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say that I found the product with really no problem online, I didn't see it advertiesed on TV or have a single friend who is into this stuff. Additionally I found the members of the forum to be cool folk who have kindly answered all my silly questions. I would like to see this product become a commercial success because of what it represents to me. I do think the nature of the beast would inherently change should the boards be flooded with folk who only saw a TV actor mention the name 2 or 3 times and I'm not sure anyone would really be interested in that. I could be completely wrong though, I'm not into marketing or know much about it. :blink:

i just want to know how you were able to set a gif as your avatar, and why i couldnt....

Would this realistically happen? Of course not. It's beyond the scope of the show. No matter how "geeky" it's supposed to be, it's still a comedy, and the show still has to be accessible to a general audience. Showcasing an obscure device made by an obscure company running a somewhat-obscure OS isn't going to work.

I agree that chances are low even if OPT sends one pandora to the producing staff. But it's definitely not beyond the scope. What I like in this show is how they care about being science consistent. 95% of the audience wouldn't notice if Sheldon was telling some bullshit as long as it sounds scientifically enough. Person who made polish translation for DVD release didn't care - Remember their talk abut Superman catching Lois after she fell of the helicopter? The translator thought it would be nice to convert units from feet to meters (which is OK, as people are used to metric system here) but he made terrible mistake in math or didn't do any math at all and took some some numbers from a thin air. Then I checked English subtitles for hearing impaired - it was better as they left feet alone but dropped the second "per second" confusing units of speed and acceleration. But in spite of all this ignorance show creators do care and if you know english and are not dumb you can watch, hear and check. Many people recognize Kate Sackhoff or George Takei, but what percent of the viewers did know who Steve Wozniak is?

I agree that chances are low even if OPT sends one pandora to the producing staff. But it's definitely not beyond the scope. What I like in this show is how they care about being science consistent. 95% of the audience wouldn't notice if Sheldon was telling some bullshit as long as it sounds scientifically enough. Person who made polish translation for DVD release didn't care - Remember their talk abut Superman catching Lois after she fell of the helicopter? The translator thought it would be nice to convert units from feet to meters (which is OK, as people are used to metric system here) but he made terrible mistake in math or didn't do any math at all and took some some numbers from a thin air. Then I checked English subtitles for hearing impaired - it was better as they left feet alone but dropped the second "per second" confusing units of speed and acceleration. But in spite of all this ignorance show creators do care and if you know english and are not dumb you can watch, hear and check. Many people recognize Kate Sackhoff or George Takei, but what percent of the viewers did know who Steve Wozniak is?

^ That's kinda the point of the Pandora being in the show. What makes it entertaining is that it's a "one percenter" in that only a small subset of the audience would recognize it (the same with Steve Wozniak as well). Those are usually my favorite sorts of jokes or references. You feel "special" or "in the know" when you get it.

Interesting idea, but would Sheldon go for a Pandora? Maybe if he saw Stan Lee (or any of his comic book heroes) using one.... Well also if Wil Wheaton slagged it off, it might prompt him to go for it...

I just can't wait for the series finale when Sheldon manages to break the fourth wall.

Yeah... I combed my 'Edit Profile' options with a fine tooth comb.

Guess I'll have to wait a long time for that... I wonder what the threshold is? 1000? EDIT: 2000?

well it's less than i've got

the box for it is pretty obscure, but it is there, same place as avatar if i remember correctly :)

click on profile, upper right corner says :edit my profile: and scroll down to Member Title, whether or not its there for everybody, i dunno

click on profile, upper right corner says :edit my profile: and scroll down to Member Title, whether or not its there for everybody, i dunno
Nope, not there. Guess you gotta have a 1000+ post for that.

I say us lower posters start posting like crazy to get this special privilege.

I think the post count required may be as low as 650 or 700... But that's still aaaaages away.

Would be nice if someone could confirm this.

i think thats the road for moderator status, not member title :D

Back