Just Got A Dreamcast

ketchupgun

Website
www.theimponderables.com
I've finally finished my collection of al lthe Sega consoles.
I got a Dreamcast. I'm relaly impressed. It reall blows the saturn out of the water..and that system relaly impressed me!

So I hear there is a big DC scene, and people still playing PSO online..and all these riducluous PSX emulation and stuff...

anybody down with the scene...show me where to start looking..is there a forum site like this for DCheads? Any good sites to recommend (sorta things google can't tell you).

thx
t.

Hi there,

I highly recommend DCemu for your needs. They have news, tutorials, along with applications for the dreamcast.

I could never get into the system, but some other people here might give you more in-depth information on it. Oh and BTW, the network adapter is really expensive.

OMars said:
...Oh and BTW, the network adapter is really expensive.
Very much so, if you ever want to get your Dreamcast online, either use plain dialup, or put a modem in your PC and turn it in to a dialup server.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! It's a great little system, but I too never got into it. Not because I just didn't care for it, but because I've always had that random resetting problem. It's been hell :(

Been meaning to give my system in to old school gamer for repair as it comes with a guarantee and all. Never quite had the money (well, always found something else for it, *cough* ebay *cough*)

When I pay off my CC bill I'm sending her in once and for all. I have Shenmue (people swear by that game), Skies of Arcadia, and a bunch of other gems. I hear Soul Calibur is also wonderful.

Good luck, and enjoy the new console!

Soul Calibur is indeed brilliant on the Dreamcast. i prefer it to the newer versions that have been out.

If you're looking for commercial games to play on it, try these:
Ikaruga
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Rez
Metropolis Street Racing
Virtua Tennis
Ecco the Dolphin
Shenmue 1 and 2

And try and download Propellor Arena as well. I hear good things about it but havent tried it since ive put my dreamcast in storage since getting a Wii and a 360. Also try to get the emulator for the dreamcast that will let you play ALL megadrive games. Im not sure where you'd get that one seeing as I received it on a disc from a friend.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Congrats! It's a great little system, but I too never got into it. Not because I just didn't care for it, but because I've always had that random resetting problem. It's been hell :(

Been meaning to give my system in to old school gamer for repair as it comes with a guarantee and all. Never quite had the money (well, always found something else for it, *cough* ebay *cough*)

When I pay off my CC bill I'm sending her in once and for all. I have Shenmue (people swear by that game), Skies of Arcadia, and a bunch of other gems. I hear Soul Calibur is also wonderful.

I've fixed that problem twice now, it's very easy to fix, you just open the dreamcast(just 4 screws), then push the power pins toward the metal contacts. Close it up, and it's fixed.

NesterDC SE (Special Edition) is a nifty little NES emulator and very easy to set up. Point it at your rom folder and it will download all the relevant screen shots, box art, instructions, etc then pack it all into one image ready to burn to CD-R.

Dreamcast Scene is a good site.
So is DCEvolution
DC Help
You'll probably be able to jump down the rabbit hole from these sites and find most of the other good sites. eg: saves me searching through all my bookmarks. ;)

This is the guide I bookmarked for using your PC as a Dreamcast server.
Some interesting Dreamcast mods here.

Dream Explorer is meant to be a very useful application. I haven't had a chance to try that one out yet but I watched the YouTube vid as linked on the Dreamcast Junkyard blog and thought it might be worth a look.

Games definitely Rez.
Beats of Rage and the many mods are meant to be good.
Oh and hunt down a copy of Typing of the Dead on eBay and a cheap keyboard. The game concept sounds completely dorky (Instead of shooting zombies you type the words on the screen as fast as you can.) but is surprisingly entertaining.

Oh and apparently there's some games that can use the fishing controller that you wouldn't of thought of. The Dreamcast Junkyard Blog talks about a few so search through the archives a bit. They are worth a read.

Titcher said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:

I've fixed that problem twice now, it's very easy to fix, you just open the dreamcast(just 4 screws), then push the power pins toward the metal contacts. Close it up, and it's fixed.

I had that problem too, this fix helped, but not for very long.
I ended up soldering the power pins to the contacts and its fine now.

im currently after a dreamcast but, how much should i be paying?

how does £24.99 for: boxed unit with controller, keyboard, VMU, dreamkey, paperwork and leads sound?

to much? about right? bargin?

too much. I got a second hand dreamcast off of ebay with 9 games, 2 controllers and all cables (including the internet one) for a fiver. If you can find a better bargain that, then you're a lucky SOB.

norm said:
im currently after a dreamcast but, how much should i be paying?

how does £24.99 for: boxed unit with controller, keyboard, VMU, dreamkey, paperwork and leads sound?

to much? about right? bargin?
£25 quid seems to be a regular price for bundles on eBay but normally you'd get a few games chucked in with that for the price. I think that's what I paid for mine with a few games. Although the games included were a bit crappy. (apart from Chu Chu Rocket which is excellent but everyone got that game for free so not worth paying too much for)
Just keep an eye out on eBay and weigh up the different bundles to see which seems better value for money and come with games that you are more likely to actually play.

Keyboards are pretty cheap. I picked one up for £1.99. Extra controllers, keep an eye out for the cheaper listings that come up. There's never a shortage of those listed so just sit tight and wait for the cheaper auctions.
I bought an official black coloured controller for the same price as the grey ones when other sellers had them up for a lot more.

Of course if you have the funds there's always the Hello Kitty Dreamcast. :blink:

Radio said:
Of course if you have the funds there's always the Hello Kitty Dreamcast. :blink:

yer i was looking at that yesterday - i want it lol, no where near enough funds though :(

im going to keep an eye on ebay over the next few days and if nothing comes up il probably just buy the £24.99 bundle, the games in most of the bundles look kinda sucky anyway

EDIT: @ketchupgun: when you say all the sega consoles, do you mean ALL of them? as in:

* SG-1000
* SG-1000 Mark II
* SG-1000 Mark III
* SC-3000
* SC-3000H
* Master System
* Mega Drive
* Mega CD
* WonderMega
* 32X
* Multi-Mega
* TeraDrive