Just How Much "order Turnover" Was There?

Medium riskYou may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: 30 September 2008 14:24:20
To: --------------------

Protx - Securing the future of eCommerceProtx Notification e-Mail

Your order from OPENPANDORA LIMITED has been successful

The unique reference for this transaction is: --------------------

Thank you for your order. Your payment has been processed successfully.

Please quote your order number -------------------- in all correspondence with either OPENPANDORA LIMITED or Protx.

Bullet Point Order total: 207.20 GBP
Bullet Point You bought: 1 x Pandora (UK)

davidgro said:
I placed my order on 2009-09-22, right before an engadget or gizmodo or something article threatened to sell out the 'last few units' (which at the time were presumably 3700-3800 since a few were going to be reserved for warranty/DOA/etc.)

Aha when that article was written the first batch was being restricted to just 3000 units. So you'd have been somewhere at the end of the 2000s. Then the OP tem decided to change the strategy to 'anybody can have one so long as they order before date x', and another 1000 odd units were sold.

Mr Loon said:
Ordered on day one a couple of hours after the ordering went live, just checked my position and am somewhere between 350 - 450 in the queue.

Bring it on!

Awesome. I ordered within about 40 minutes if I remember rightly :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
Poem58 said:
Imagine how much time that would take!

Sorting a list of 4000 lines on a computer? With the speed of computers nowadays? That should be near instant even if using Microsoft Excel.
Aside from all the emails,refunds etc. to deal with, it would obviously be overwhelming especially at the pace this would be happening at.

Also, my sarcasm wasn't quite strong enough there, or even here, probably.

chame said:
12/01/2010 -> 2800/3200

I'm really doubting that figure above. Did you ask openpandorasales? Is this figure at Craig's or ED's? I ordered 11/2009. My initial place (confirmed by sales dept) was 3900-4000 (as expected). Yesterday I asked again because I will be out of the country for a month (July) and I needed to know how and how much would it cost to change my delivery address. My new place in the queue is 3400-3500... so... (all of these figures confirmed by sales dept at Craig's)

kikeminchas said:
chame said:
12/01/2010 -> 2800/3200

I'm really doubting that figure above. Did you ask openpandorasales? Is this figure at Craig's or ED's? I ordered 11/2009. My initial place (confirmed by sales dept) was 3900-4000 (as expected). Yesterday I asked again because I will be out of the country for a month (July) and I needed to know how and how much would it cost to change my delivery address. My new place in the queue is 3400-3500... so... (all of these figures confirmed by sales dept at Craig's)

That's interesting because I ordered on 15/10/09 and as I've said, they've now estimated my queue position at 2200-2300 so there's quite a big difference around a month's made to our relative positions in the queue.

WizardStan said:
mvickers03 said:
Really!! I presumed I was 3800-4000 and I ordered in Aug 2009.. I'm tempted to ask them but don't want to waste there time
Don't ask! It'll spoil the surprise!

That's true, but it will be a surprise even if I knew the exact place in the queue! I'm just going to wait. all I know is it's not far away :)

Dead1nside said:
kikeminchas said:
chame said:
12/01/2010 -> 2800/3200

That's interesting because I ordered on 15/10/09 and as I've said, they've now estimated my queue position at 2200-2300 so there's quite a big difference around a month's made to our relative positions in the queue.

The exact date when I paid via Google Checkout was the 16/Nov, originally ordered 9/Sept.. it's pretty strange...

God i hate these threads people who ordered months after me are in front in queue lol
did i upset someone :(

I'm just going to wait for the 1000 to go out and allow myself to have a bit of excitement in my heart when I come home from work each day and check for parcels. I doubt I'm within the 1000 but I don't want to ask where I am in the queue...

about the position I posted

12/01/2010 -> 2800/3200

I asked yesterday to pandora orders.

From the figures (for example Dead1nside numbers), I guess there are A LOT of cancels and refunds. the reality could be only 3400 pandoras are sold right now. It is clear there is a lot of movement in the orders queue.

jumpman said:
Well, I ordered within 30 minutes of preorders going live(I had to take jr to daycare, so I missed the start).

Jumpman jr.? Wow that made me LOL ;)

Edit, more ontopic:

ED, do you have anything better to do, then explaining us in detail how you divide the Pandoras and more importantly,, when will the P from your Q will be sent out.
And, is it by any means possible that sort your Excel table or database in your shop system or what ever you have? And to make it easy and avoid lots of emails state something like position 100 order then, position 200 ordered then, position 300 (I think you know what I mean ;) ).

Poem58 said:
Also, my sarcasm wasn't quite strong enough there, or even here, probably.

Ah! Sarcasm!

sorry - I didn't pick up on it, probably as I've seen pretty much the same said and MEANT :blink:

:(

BackAssward said:
Side note. ED said a few months back that he had more like ~1000 of the units sold through his shop, and that he'd therefore get ~250 of the first 1000 units. I can only say what was posted, not the current state of affairs. That larger number only adds to your point about resilience.
Hmm.... so if you're not in the first 500 or so of Craigix's list this first sub-batch is not for you.

GRRRRRRRAAAA! My resolve to not ask my place in line is weakening.

Pleng said:
davidgro said:
I placed my order on 2009-09-22, right before an engadget or gizmodo or something article threatened to sell out the 'last few units' (which at the time were presumably 3700-3800 since a few were going to be reserved for warranty/DOA/etc.)

Aha when that article was written the first batch was being restricted to just 3000 units. So you'd have been somewhere at the end of the 2000s. Then the OP tem decided to change the strategy to 'anybody can have one so long as they order before date x', and another 1000 odd units were sold.

No, I said 2009. The 3000 to 4000 expansion happened hours after the first 3000 sold out in 2008. I was talking about the couple hundred (not 1000) units mentioned here:

Chip said:
~ 3800 pre-ordered, 4000 being produced. The surplus will be used for spare parts, replacements for broken units, promotional giveaways, and dev units.

That quote is very old, but it was the status for the next year or so. I still wonder how repairs/replacement are going to be handled now that all 4000 are going out - are they actually making spare boards (the 105 don't count), and have spare LCDs, etc?

And yes, this probably means that my place in line moved from 3700 or so, to 2300 or so, in about 5 months. (conservatively) so that's well over 280 cancels/month (because after the first month some of the cancels would be above me, so they weren't counted...)

EDIT: I just realized that this implies that more preorders have been canceled than are in the queue now. Wow.

Back