Just Something I Thought Of

txd

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I've been looking at all these discussion about what we can emulate and what games we can port, and it looks like we will be able to play some really great looking games.

But i was thinking if all these not-native games will be great, imagine the possibility with a game naively for the Pandora. A game using all of the potential of the hardware. its gonna look stunning!

I cant wait for the Pandora to get out :lol:

Milander said:
I've been looking at all these discussion about what we can emulate and what games we can port, and it looks like we will be able to play some really great looking games.

But i was thinking if all these not-native games will be great, imagine the possibility with a game naively for the Pandora. A game using all of the potential of the hardware. its gonna look stunning!

I cant wait for the Pandora to get out :lol:
It should be fantastic. :D

Perhaps the thread should about designing a game.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
it will take alot, but we will get some great homebrew no doubt over time. just look at what came out for the gp2x.

check these videos out of the omap3 and open gl es in action to get some idea of what may be possible. these were posted before ages ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TXpqa9jG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx_BF7j-bVI...feature=related

I think calling it homebrew in the case of the Pandora is a little silly. If you make an independent (or published) game for the PC, is it homebrew? Pandora is an open platform. It's just software.

But agreed, should be great :D

We will have a massive games library within about 2 months, as loads and loads of Linux games already have ARM ports.

I'm already thinking of developing some homebrew (which I read as single developer, basement style development) that would make use of Pandora's unique features, particularly wireless internet. I'm very keen to see what kind of network games could be developed (and then to see how well Pandora users fair when playing against each other!)

Such an informative topic name! I don't know what a game naively for the Pandora would be like either :p

Jokes aside, I'd possibly compare it with the specs of a console thats most similar to it, and look at the games for it. That would be a good indication of what to expect. So something like Wii / Xbox quality?

Yes, a game that would use all the hardware potential of the Pandora would be amazing, but you have to understand that we may not have such games anytime soon after the release (or at all?) because the majority of developers will be "bedroom" coders. By this I mean that they don't have the time (coding is something they do in their spare time and they have their own jobs) or a large development team to create a game that utilizes the full potential of the Pandora. Don't expect original, commercial quality games designed for the Pandora.

Mutilator said:
it will take alot, but we will get some great homebrew no doubt over time. just look at what came out for the gp2x.

check these videos out of the omap3 and open gl es in action to get some idea of what may be possible. these were posted before ages ago

That's great! I wonder if the demoscene will take an interest in the Pandora, it's shaping up to be quite a nifty little device.

What do you mean by native for the pandora? Something designed to use all the controllers and a keyboard? Other than that, wouldn't ported (not emulated) games already be native and use the hardware's full potential? Or would there actually be a significant improvement by coding something from the ground up to specifically use pandora's cpu etc...?

Mutilator said:

Yeah i've seen the firsy demo before, on the openGL 2.0 ES demo webpage, it had better quality. but yeah it looks nice.

Jokes aside, I'd possibly compare it with the specs of a console thats most similar to it, and look at the games for it. That would be a good indication of what to expect. So something like Wii / Xbox quality?

Does that mean we can make a XBOW emulator :lol: jk Its gonna look awesome the games we can make.

What do you mean by native for the pandora? Something designed to use all the controllers and a keyboard? Other than that, wouldn't ported (not emulated) games already be native and use the hardware's full potential? Or would there actually be a significant improvement by coding something from the ground up to specifically use pandora's cpu etc...?

with native i mean games that were built from ground up to take advantage of the pandora hardware

Trevor Bradley said:
I'm already thinking of developing some homebrew (which I read as single developer, basement style development) that would make use of Pandora's unique features, particularly wireless internet. I'm very keen to see what kind of network games could be developed (and then to see how well Pandora users fair when playing against each other!)
I'd like to see something like Metal Gear (Portal Ops?) on the PSP, where you could get different soldiers from different wifi points. Think Monster Rancher when you could make monsters with different CD's, but with access points. That kind of thing would be awesome. B)

im still willing to pay $$$ if someone is able to get red alert 2 yuri's revenge on the thing... if its worth paying of course or there is no other way.

polkunus said:
im still willing to pay $$$ if someone is able to get red alert 2 yuri's revenge on the thing... if its worth paying of course or there is no other way.
any red alert is going to be awesome... :ph34r:

polkunus said:
Not taking in account that you're way off topic, this won't happen. It's closed source and will stay closed source, the following isn't big enough that someone rewrites the engine so how should it be ported.

EMULATING WINDOWS IS NOT AN OPTION!

Not taking in account that you're way off topic, this won't happen. It's closed source and will stay closed source, the following isn't big enough that someone rewrites the engine so how should it be ported.

Well, there is openredalert. But it only supports red alert 1.

http://code.google.com/p/openredalert/

Never tried it myself though.

Back