Keeping My Pandora Safe

I know it's kinda off topic, but I don't know much about assembly language... do you really need to push the value on to the stack and pop it off in to a register like that? is it some kinda "this is the faster way to do it" thing, like xor ax,ax?

paulguy said:
I know it's kinda off topic, but I don't know much about assembly language... do you really need to push the value on to the stack and pop it off in to a register like that? is it some kinda "this is the faster way to do it" thing, like xor ax,ax?
A simple "mov eax, 2h" should suffice. Nothing special about eax as far as I'm aware that wouldn't allow an immediate move.
int 0x80 is also only harmful in Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
A simple "mov eax, 2h" should suffice. Nothing special about eax as far as I'm aware that wouldn't allow an immediate move.
int 0x80 is only harmful in Linux on x86.

XxionxX said:
Raman said:
WizardStan said:
int 0x80 is only harmful in Linux on x86.

Mwa ha ha ha! The Pandora is invincible!
My sledgehammer suggests otherwise.

XxionxX said:
Is there any known software that might hurt the Pandora right off the bat? Don't download zwinky?
Nobody mention overclocking...

XxionxX said:
Is there any known software that might hurt the Pandora right off the bat? Don't download zwinky?
rm and dd. Deadly programs!

Only if you're using them as root and you don't know what you're doing (which I guess would be why you're experimenting as root. :D).

Anyway, I guess software overclocking could cause the pandora to crash, but I don't think you'll ever corrupt or damage anything other than filesystems. Maybe over time if it happens a lot, it might shorten the pandora's life, but I don't think the errors caused by overclocking wwould contribute to permanent damage.. only increasing the core voltage would, which I don't think is possible in software. This is all going on stuff I've read lurking the boards so it could be wrong, but it makes sense in my head, at least.

paulguy said:
Only if you're using them as root and you don't know what you're doing (which I guess would be why you're experimenting as root. :D ).

Anyway, I guess software overclocking could cause the pandora to crash, but I don't think you'll ever corrupt or damage anything other than filesystems. Maybe over time if it happens a lot, it might shorten the pandora's life, but I don't think the errors caused by overclocking wwould contribute to permanent damage.. only increasing the core voltage would, which I don't think is possible in software. This is all going on stuff I've read lurking the boards so it could be wrong, but it makes sense in my head, at least.

So what you are all saying is: other than fork(), running as root, hitting Pandora with a sledgehammer and putting it in the sunlight without a solar panel, I can try anything without fear!

XxionxX said:
So what you are all saying is: other than fork(), running as root, hitting Pandora with a sledgehammer and putting it in the sunlight without a solar panel, I can try anything without fear!
Personally I wouldn't put it in sunlight even with solar panels. Good consumer grade ones are still only about 30% efficient, which means the other 70% is getting converted almost directly into heat.

XxionxX said:
Holy crap, I never heard of zwinky so I googled it, even it's web page crashed my browser.

BackAssward said:
XxionxX said:
Holy crap, I never heard of zwinky so I googled it, even it's web page crashed my browser.

Yah my gf downloaded it when I was at work one day. I was like "um whats this?" her "It let me make a cute little character of myself, but I had to download something" me "We are going to have to wipe the whole computer" her "WAT!!!" That was the day I was thought to myself "I wonder if this Linux stuff is as good as 'they' say."

WizardStan said:
XxionxX said:
Personally I wouldn't put it in sunlight even with solar panels. Good consumer grade ones are still only about 30% efficient, which means the other 70% is getting converted almost directly into heat.

Sunblock? B)

Back