Kernel update to 3.2.57

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
If you run "Upgrade Pandora OS" now you'll get a somewhat significant kernel update to 3.2.57. Main thing is improved powersaving while lid is closed, but also there is updated wifi driver. As bad as the internal wifi is, it can do monitor mode and packet injection, I've tested it with Kismet (can package it for the repo if anyone needs it) and it seems to work well. I've also fixed ad-hoc mode along the way and was able to network 2 pandoras without an access point. Note that power saving won't work in both monitor and ad-hoc modes, so it'll drain the battery pretty fast.

It's a bit experimental, there were many changes so it would be nice if everyone tested things they usually use and reported back if something is wrong.

Here is the changelog:

* kernel: updated to 3.2.57
* kernel: idle power saving improved 10-20% (only when system is idle and screen is off, this condition is normally when lid is closed)

* kernel: fixed 24bit sound output. To use 24bit audio, player has to support it and be configured to output directly to the sound device and not default virtual dmix one, which still mixes to 16bit 44kHz

* kernel: wl1251: added support for monitor mode and packet injection (backported David Gnedt's patches that have been recently applied to mainline)

* kernel: wl1251: fixed ad-hoc functionality

* kernel: backported some other OMAP fixes from later kernels that probably won't have visible effects

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to say this stuff needs some testing as there were quite a lot of changes (first post now updated). So go forth and test!

Thank you! I know you say that the added 10-20% power saving is only while the system is idle, but does it help at all with the lid closed and minimal CPU usage, such as playing an MP3?

Thank you! I know you say that the added 10-20% power saving is only while the system is idle, but does it help at all with the lid closed and minimal CPU usage, such as playing an MP3?
Nope, all peripherals including audio has to be off/idle.

hmm.. I could not upgrade because I have a 17Mb .thumbnails folder on my internal card. This reminds me of my Debian, where I had like 5GB of cached images.

This is save to run:

find ~/.thumbnails -name '*.png' |xargs -I{} rm {}

Also symlinked it to an SD card.

will tinker now with the new config.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it certainly hasn't fixed the Wifi at all - I'm downloading with PNDManager at 64Kb/sec on my 10Mb connection, and nothing else in the house can use the Wifi while the Pandora is downloading as it takes all the bandwidth.

So no noticeable changes here.

D.

ZXDunny: hasn't fixed your wifi ;)

Mine is still good.. Although I do get crazy speeds from the repo sometimes.. All over the place.. But generally it's pretty good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Since the case on mine was changed it now gets stable 500-700 kb/s speeds.

Don't know what changed but it is really enjoyable to update stuff from the repo now.

That is awesome! The power save mode will really help me! Thanks for continuing to update the Pandora even after the announcement of the Pyra :) I am happy the updates will keep on coming.

Nice power saving!

My 1GHz unit now consumes only ~80mW with the lid closed, while it used to be ~110mW, an improvement of ~27%. That means its standby time goes from ~6 days to ~8days!

On my ReBirth unit the difference is much less noticeable. It goes from ~94mW to ~85mW, an improvement of ~10%. Its standby time goes from ~7 days to ~7.5 days.

Both of my units have the power led disabled.

Back