Kernel update to 3.2.57

Nice power saving!

My 1GHz unit now consumes only ~80mW with the lid closed, while it used to be ~110mW, an improvement of ~27%. That means its standby time goes from ~6 days to ~8days!

On my ReBirth unit the difference is much less noticeable. It goes from ~94mW to ~85mW, an improvement of ~10%. Its standby time goes from ~7 days to ~7.5 days.

Both of my units have the power led disabled.
Cool thanks for the breakdown. I have mine with its lid shut right now with the new firmware. This is truly a remarkable update for me :)

Your new kernel works nicely here. Updated yesterday and haven't had any problems so far. Thank you very much!

woohoo, a new easter-kernel! thanks notaz! :)

updated and runs nice so far, but in dmesg i get:

[ 1.461639] twl4030_wdt twl4030_wdt: Failed to register misc device

[ 1.461700] twl4030_wdt: probe of twl4030_wdt failed with error -16

[ 1.462158] voltdm_scale: No voltage scale API registered for vdd_mpu_iva

[ 1.462188] platform mpu.0: omap_target: unable to scale voltage up.

this is with 1ghz unit.

I have noticed that the suspend sends all running PND binaries the SIGSTOP/SIGCONT but orage (the calendar/clock on the bottom right) is not in that list. It does eat about 0.3% CPU once in a while. Is it planned that it would be able to signal something like an alarm while the OpenPandora is asleep? If not, it probably could be added to the suspend script?

Still testdriving, nothing found so far. works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
updated and runs nice so far, but in dmesg i get:

[ 1.461639] twl4030_wdt twl4030_wdt: Failed to register misc device

[ 1.461700] twl4030_wdt: probe of twl4030_wdt failed with error -16

[ 1.462158] voltdm_scale: No voltage scale API registered for vdd_mpu_iva

[ 1.462188] platform mpu.0: omap_target: unable to scale voltage up.
Those are mostly harmless, and were there before.

I have noticed that the suspend sends all running PND binaries the SIGSTOP/SIGCONT but orage (the calendar/clock on the bottom right) is not in that list. It does eat about 0.3% CPU once in a while. Is it planned that it would be able to signal something like an alarm while the OpenPandora is asleep? If not, it probably could be added to the suspend script?
SIGSTOP is only done for that "fake" suspend while charging (aka low power mode), real suspend freezes all processes at the kernel level. That low power mode should probably be removed to reduce confusion, maybe someday..

It seems I'm no longer able to put my pandora in low power mode after updating...

Edit:
Yes, for some reason now I can't put it in low power mode. Neither closing the lid nor with the butron.

Last edited by a moderator:
works great for me so far! updated because i wanted to use kismet without booting slackware. i noticed the power saving updates when the lcd actually stayed off with lid closed yesterday night. thanks a bunch notaz!

It seems I'm no longer able to put my pandora in low power mode after updating... Edit: Yes, for some reason now I can't put it in low power mode. Neither closing the lid nor with the butron.
That doesn't say much, what do you mean you can't? What do you expect to happen and what actually happens?

Wohoo i have a feelable Speedup with my Wifi.

Before i had around 500-550 max Speed.

But now 600-650 Max Speed in my Wifi.

Thank you for doing this for us all :)

I thought notaz didn't improve the existing wifi, "just" added the monitoriung and packet injection feature.  :huh:

It seems I'm no longer able to put my pandora in low power mode after updating... Edit: Yes, for some reason now I can't put it in low power mode. Neither closing the lid nor with the butron.
That doesn't say much, what do you mean you can't? What do you expect to happen and what actually happens?
Sorry.

Well I set my lid close settings to enter low power mode. That doesn't work anymore, now it only turns off the screen when I close the lid. I've also tried holding the power button for 3 seconds with the same result.

Just to try, I changed the lid close settings to turn the pandora off. It doesn't work either, it only turns off the screen.

I thought notaz didn't improve the existing wifi, "just" added the monitoriung and packet injection feature. :huh:
Huh?Maybe it was then another Patch from him :huh: :)

Well I set my lid close settings to enter low power mode. That doesn't work anymore, now it only turns off the screen when I close the lid. I've also tried holding the power button for 3 seconds with the same result.

Just to try, I changed the lid close settings to turn the pandora off. It doesn't work either, it only turns off the screen.
Hmm ok I think I know what's going on. There is a fix that fixes scripts for very short user names:

http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=332

..but it seems it broke long user names. Try updating again and rebooting.

I've cleaned up these scripts for the that update, it would be nice if somebody helped testing:

LCD brightness control, "create pandora sd card", gamma control, LCD settings, LED settings, lid settings, suspend, startup manager, user manager.

Notaz, provided there are no issues with that upgrade, do you plan to release a new firmware down the road? 

I believe that on top of the latest change you introduced, there's the DSP libraries as well that could be included in a new firmware post 1.60. 

I'd have another request for an upcoming new hardware:

- Make icons for the Pandora specific settings (wifi, bt, tv out) smaller (height is too large and it stands out in terms of consistency)

- Have one or two favorite TV-out setting directly available through the TV-out standard menu, without having to go into the "configure TV-out menu".

- have a direct way, maybe in the Pandora settings, to alternate between lid-close settings (lid closed screen off, lid closed low power mode). It's a little annoying to have to go to system settings every time a simple change like that is needed. 

Just a few ideas :)

Notaz, provided there are no issues with that upgrade, do you plan to release a new firmware down the road? 

I believe that on top of the latest change you introduced, there's the DSP libraries as well that could be included in a new firmware post 1.60.
I was thinking about it too, but right now still more testing is needed, especially for script changes from yesterday.

- Make icons for the Pandora specific settings (wifi, bt, tv out) smaller (height is too large and it stands out in terms of consistency)

- Have one or two favorite TV-out setting directly available through the TV-out standard menu, without having to go into the "configure TV-out menu".
I guess this is about slaeshjag's configbutton, I wasn't involved with it much so don't really want to mess with it. Doing smaller icons might be just a matter of resizing png files in /usr/share/icons/pandora/ like cpu.png, somebody else would have to do it as I'm not really good with graphics.

- have a direct way, maybe in the Pandora settings, to alternate between lid-close settings (lid closed screen off, lid closed low power mode). It's a little annoying to have to go to system settings every time a simple change like that is needed.
That needs whole new UI system instead of current zenity-based scripts, probably too much work.

That needs whole new UI system instead of current zenity-based scripts, probably too much work.
Can't this be integrated into the Pandora settings for CPU and the rest, as another entry? Zenity scripts are just there to trigger command line events, so as long as there is an entry somewhere in the Pandora settings it should trigger the same cli event. 

I was thinking about it too, but right now still more testing is needed, especially for script changes from yesterday.
Sure, I was just thinking that it could be possible once you have things ironed out. 

Doing smaller icons might be just a matter of resizing png files in /usr/share/icons/pandora/ like cpu.png, somebody else would have to do it as I'm not really good with graphics.
I will have a look then :)  

Back