Kernel update to 3.2.57

Notaz, I've noticed my charging got a bit weird after updating (as someone else also reported). For some reason, my pandora suddenly thinks here is a very low charge, and then after charging for quite a while on  the power adapter it stopped charging at around 15% displayed charge. I assume that updating the kernel and stuff shouldn't really affect charge level or times, so I'll attempt some other things, but just out of curiosity - Is there some kind of charge meter calibration configuration thingy somewhere or other that might have been thrown out of whack by the updating procedure? I mean, one explanation might be that there is a reference for charge level somewhere, and that this somehow has changed so that a full charge now registers as 15% or something?

Now, I'm off to remove the battery, let it sit a while and then carefully reseat it :)

This could be a problem:

My 1GHz unit now consumes only ~80mW with the lid closed, while it used to be ~110mW
I think the TWL might be detecting the low power usage and assuming the battery is full. This used to be a major problem before the daemon was written which uses the fuel gauge to turn the charger on or off.It's been quite a while since I had a look so I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall the lowest threshold setting being 80mW. If the Pandora is now so efficient as to use less than that while idle it could be prematurely shutting off the charge.

...and I will report that once I reseated the battery, my problem disappeared. So - False alarm from me :D

I've cleaned up these scripts for the that update, it would be nice if somebody helped testing:

LCD brightness control, "create pandora sd card", gamma control, LCD settings, LED settings, lid settings, suspend, startup manager, user manager.
Except some things I could not test (everything TV-Out related, some startup settings, and "create pandora SD-Card") everything seems to work fine on my Rebirth Pandora

Yesterday I charged my Pandora differently then usual, and as it currently looks like I am experiencing the same problem as rohezal. I charge my (rebirth) Pandora exclusivly over USB, but usually I charge her while I am at work with mass storage mode on. Yesterday I just put her closed on the desk and plugged in the usb cable. When I unplugged her after ~8h the battery applet was still telling me roughly about 30% wich, is a little lower then before putting her on the desk. At home I put her into ms mode again and charging went fine. This morning I deliberately left her closed and charging (with ms mode) and the battery gauge still tells me 72% altough she is connected vor more than 3 hours already.

I'll test this a little further and see what happens...

Last edited by a moderator:
My CC stopped charging from zero @ 80% with the AC adapter.

That sounds typical for an improper calibration issue.

Afair we had a kernel update a long time ago where you also needed to remove and reinsert the battery once to recalibrate it.

Maybe it's similar here?

Yeah, it was an uncalibrated battery from the premium days.

I was in my fridge since years !

I don't put batteries in fridge.  I have 4 batteries (labeled #1, #2, #3, and #4) and I rotate them with my Pandora.  I used one battery per week, charge it up full on the 7th day, swap the other battery in and use that for a week and the cycle repeat.  So each battery get used at  one week per month :)   I like to treat all my batteries fairly :)

Such a mystic ceremony !

I didn't remember the non-100% charge, thought it was just a bad estimation.

Strange, I tried to continue my testing today:

Left the Pandora on the desk with USB plugged in and an openend lid, nothing was running. Charged from 70% to 90% in about an hour. After that I closed the lid and let the Pandora alone for another hour and she charged the battery to 98%.

Seems its more complicated, or maybe it was just a coincidence :wacko:

Now that ad-hoc networking works with the built-in wifi, maybe it's time to build the bridge kernel module and include it in the firmware?

Back